USPS won't ship pipes apparently?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
So I had problems today shipping out my new pipe at USPS. I went to the post office on base where I work and their machine was down and she told me I would have to buy stamps to postage it. That was odd but ok , I filled out declaration form to say what was in the box and I had listed pipe. She told me pipes where not allowed through USPS, I told her this was a classic smoking pipe not a piece of steel tube and inquired which was not allowed? She told me that her not allowed list site said "pipe" and didn't specify so she couldn't ship my package.

I will try again tomorrow at a different because I have declared hand carved wooden pipe and they have let me ship and receive them numerous times without issue. :evil:

Hermit":2lhx5pqm said:
They don't know the rules; don't confuse em with the truth.  :evil:
True. Very True.:p

Best to keep things vague. Try declaring what I always declare, "Hobby Supplies"

DrumsAndBeer":653w00yj said:
Hermit":653w00yj said:
They don't know the rules; don't confuse em with the truth.  :evil:
True. Very True.:p

Best to keep things vague. Try declaring what I always declare, "Hobby Supplies"
Don't confuse them with information.  Vague is clarity, peace is war, etc.

It's because USPS disallows for either critical thinking or interpretation of terms not thought about or defined beyond their concern. The hive sees "pipe," and they are trained/programmed to process either possibly "paraphernalia" or "bomb."

Successful alternatives:

"Woodcraft Product"
"Briar Carving"

No lying-by-omission, no telling-them-more-than-they-can-comfortably-process.

8)

Yep off to the post office by my house tomorrow morning as soon as they open. Live and learn lol. I guess hand crafted briar and cumberland sculpture she be fly under the radar. Hopefully it will be flying off to the land of maple syrup and hockey soon. :)

i.keenum":zc6q4p9g said:
Yep off to the post office by my house tomorrow morning as soon as they open. Live and learn lol. I guess hand crafted briar and cumberland sculpture she be fly under the radar. Hopefully it will be flying off to the land of maple syrup and hockey soon. :)
You weren't very clear in your post, are you trying to ship this pipe OVERSEAS? I've recieved pipes sent from Italy and the UK in the past and they declared them on the customs Duenne and they came to my house with no problem and they were declared as "smoking pipes"! I will say that I have not mailed any overseas , only recieved them the last being my BY Dunnie which was shipped by post to Fed Ex from Denmark and then delivered to me. Whenever I'm shipping ANYTHING over to a person in Europe I always declare it as a "personal gift" and have had NO problems this way! Good luck !! :twisted: :twisted:

To Canada, not over seas but international, I have ordered pipes on the bay that have come from europe without issue and they where clearly marked tobacco pipe or the like. I think it was a misinterpretation of the rules by the clerk but I didn't want to get myself in her bad graces by arguing and then having problems every time I ship my stuff. :fpalm:

i.keenum":ltrk5q5c said:
To Canada, not over seas but international
I say that lady's out to lunch as I order pipes regularly in the US and they are shipped to Canada via USPS.

By all means, Kyle's recommendation settles the problem. :)

monbla256":26fqvzps said:
I will say that I have not mailed any overseas
I have many times without an issue, I just sent a pipe that sold for well over a grand to China. I hate shipping overseas but money talks. No matter where I ship I always declare what it is and the full value if I ever need to file an insurance claim. :shock:
P.S. I've found the average USPS counter worker doesn't have a clue to the rules, regulations, and other info. If in doubt ask for the boss

Call it what it is...a piece of vulcanite or acrylic and a piece of wood.
Problem solved...no lies.

I'd go to another Post Office and try to find someone that doesn't have there head up their rear. That is utterly ridiculous to say the least. :fpalm:

It's a roll of the dice.

I've always been kind of amused at the vast differences between gub'mint workers. Some are by-the-book, others are interpretive, some plain don't give a shit, some seem to enjoy obstructing process/service just to be asinine or egotistical.

Once I had a problem with a clerk, was told some crap about rules/regs and too bad, I was screwed. I got back in line, managed to get the gal working at the window right next to where I was, and I shipped my parcel with no problem. The first clerk saw my little stunt, and seemed almost amused. Took some time, but less than driving to another post office.

8)

The post office at work is a little tiny one room deal run by a single lady.

I once had a lady UPS agent go just this side of ballistic when I tried to ship a .45 auto back to the factory for some modification. Her husband, the owner of the store, quickly stepped in and slapped her around, figuratively speaking. He then accepted the package, as he is supposed to. I'm not a fan of the public sector in any form, but morons abound everywhere. The PO is the least offensive gubbermint tentacle, in my experience, and you merely stumbled on an imbecile saturated with CYA essence. "Wood carving" seems as though it would satisfy all.

Kyle Weiss":h5fobzan said:
It's because USPS disallows for either critical thinking or interpretation of terms not thought about or defined beyond their concern.   The hive sees "pipe," and they are trained/programmed to process either possibly "paraphernalia" or "bomb."    

Successful alternatives:

"Woodcraft Product"
"Briar Carving"

No lying-by-omission, no telling-them-more-than-they-can-comfortably-process.

8)
"Carved Briar Collectable" hasn't failed me yet!

I generally only use ups. They've never given me any problems with international shipping.

It's been a while since I have had an international order, but have had no trouble with USPS. I label them tobacco pipes. I print the shipping label and customs declaration in my office and just put them in the mailbox and off they go.