va aged vs unaged

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
I got some va from leaf only sweet and flue cured and half was jarred half was smoked right away I just opened the jarred after like 6 months and honestly saw no difference in jarring it vs just smokeing it and im trying to get a answer on why if any one knows plz let me know I thought jarring it made it mellow and sweeten and let the flavor come out more and make it less harsh

Patience, grasshopper.....6 months isn't much. 'ginnys start to change after a matter of years. More = better, depending on the variety and such.

Cheers,

RR

im working on that and thank you for the help and well every one for that matter all the help I have gotten here I know I can be a lil pushy crude or what ever im so thankfull for the openness and kindness I see here

About five years until you really start to notice a difference. Virginias usually show the biggest change with age. Burleys, Lats not so much.

Just for the record, not all change is improvement. In some cases, age takes away what you might have really liked about a particular blend. You only know after doing it. That's both the fun and the curse, lol.

ya that's y I don't get why people get 100 gram tins and hord it not knowing how it will turn out a jar it up on a hope it will be better

With experience you can get a good idea on how something is going to age. Also, tobacco with the correct moisture content will age quicker than too dry. Did the jar end up with a pretty good vacuum seal when you opened it up? If not, the micro workers didn't even have time to use up all the oxygen and the anaerobic guys didn't get to work their magic. You want them to go at it for quite awhile, that's why once you close that jar, don't open it or you reset the clock.

ZeroContent":btp8b11p said:
With experience you can get a good idea on how something is going to age.  Also, tobacco with the correct moisture content will age quicker than too dry.  Did the jar end up with a pretty good vacuum seal when you opened it up?  If not, the micro workers didn't even have time to use up all the oxygen and the anaerobic guys didn't get to work their magic.  You want them to go at it for quite awhile, that's why once you close that jar, don't open it or you reset the clock.
Good point Eric. And love the new av!

Cheers,

RR

My go-to, and favorite, tobacco for a few years running is McClelland #2015, and I gotta say...I prefer it brand new. Even six month age robs it of its earthy, grassy undertones. Then, 12-18 months into it, the caramel and molasses begin to lessen. If the financials didn't play into it, I'd buy two ounces at a time. I sort of feel the same way about C&D Night Train, but it's a lesser disappointment with it.

Zeno Marx":01zd7v6f said:
My go-to, and favorite, tobacco for a few years running is McClelland #2015, and I gotta say...I prefer it brand new.  Even six month age robs it of its earthy, grassy undertones.  Then, 12-18 months into it, the caramel and molasses begin to lessen.  If the financials didn't play into it, I'd buy two ounces at a time.  I sort of feel the same way about C&D Night Train, but it's a lesser disappointment with it.
2015 rocks. NT as well. Yet I prefer them with age.

Different strokes/different folks.

Cheers,

RR

I am of those who believe the tobacco needs to be in a sealed tin for a prolonged period of time for any major differences to become perceptible to the eye and palate.

I just finished a few ounces of #2015 I had stashed from 2008. I then smoked some #2015 from 2011. A world of difference those three years made. And like I bummingly said above, six months for #2015 is close to another world. I'm thankful I don't have a lot of it laying around. Gives me reason and excitement to buy new. I can't say that about a lot of things in my world, but I can about #2015.

I'm hooked on the aged stuff- especially Virginia's. If I had to explain it guess I'd say It's the refinement of flavors that lead to a deeper complexity and overall smoothness. (Whatever that means?!)
but I do also enjoy a good aged and mellowed Latakia blend. I used to like bright snappy Virginia's and rough around the edges Latakia blends - now All I crave is the smoothness and refinement that only comes from aging a blend for 10+ years. So these days I'm buying tins to age - not smoke. My latest gold sack of Dunbar won't see the light of day until at least 2026! - zombie apocalypse you ask? - nope I'm just a fan of old leaf :)

FVF is not good fresh, you have to let it sit in the tin for at least a year. It really starts to hit its stride at about 5-7 years. I just popped a jar that I cellared in 2010. I'm kicking myself for not loading up back then, though, it was during the FVF shortage and was hard to acquire anyways.

ZeroContent":kbxrw2ql said:
FVF is not good fresh, you have to let it sit in the tin for at least a year.  It really starts to hit its stride at about 5-7 years.
This.

And yet it consistently proves to be very fiddly with regard to prep and smoking.

:x

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":qmrnky8q said:
ZeroContent":qmrnky8q said:
FVF is not good fresh, you have to let it sit in the tin for at least a year.  It really starts to hit its stride at about 5-7 years.
This.

And yet it consistently proves to be very fiddly with regard to prep and smoking.

Cheers,

RR
Even after 5 to 7 years?

Lord Guyrox":e9y7k0hb said:
Brewdude":e9y7k0hb said:
ZeroContent":e9y7k0hb said:
This.

Cheers,

RR
Even after 5 to 7 years?
Yes. Age doesn't matter. Something about that flake makes it a real challenge to burn right. I don't have near as much grief with BBF or SJF.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":9qpk1xgt said:
Haha. Everyone seems to complain about SG's moisture level in the tin. Either i like my tobacco really moist (i know I'm on the higher end of the scale but still) or I've just been lucky because I just opened a tin of Lakeland Fark and Cabbies Mixture and they were both perfect for me and smoked wonderfully and tasted amazing.

ZeroContent":0hk3wsj5 said:
Brewdude":0hk3wsj5 said:
Haha. Everyone seems to complain about SG's moisture level in the tin. Either i like my tobacco really moist (i know I'm on the higher end of the scale but still) or I've just been lucky because I just opened a tin of Lakeland Fark and Cabbies Mixture and they were both perfect for me and smoked wonderfully and tasted amazing.
Don't know how you get it to burn right out of the tin Eric.

OK, so I haven't had either of the ones you just mentioned, but if they're like all the other SG offerings they're as moist as it gets.

(ya I know you meant Lakeland Dark)

So what's your secret/technique, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

No idea. Pack it and smoke it. Lighter pack than most maybe? Magic touch? Moisture gives better flavor. I'm always adding water to my jars. I don't think ive ever gotten a non-pg cased tobacco that i thought was too moist. Got plent that have been too dry. I've never dried a tobacco before smoking. If anything I've sprayed water in the jar a few hours before smoking quite often. I open a jar or two that I'm eying to smoke, do the squeeze test. Spritz with distilled water if needed and recheck in a few hours.