VA/PER w/ the heaviest room note available

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8razor

Reaction score
As a predominately VA/PER smoker I have noticed alot of the blends I smoke (C&D's Exhausted Rooster, Kajun Kake, Night Train, Bayou Morning) that the room note is just not there. I mean if your sitting in the couch beside me you can deffinatley tell that Im smoking something but I want my wife to be able to smell it in the Kitchen, bedroom, basement. I want something to smoke that as soon as you walk in my home its almost nauseating. Any suggestions :?:

You definitely need some LATAKIA in your life. It will certainly put a smile on your face and a sign on your door that announces that "A MAN WHO SMOKES A PIPE RESIDES WITHIN". There is no better stink to have around a house than heavenly latakia. Add just a pinch of cigar leaf and man, the stink rises to an even higher standard. Good luck and good smokin!

LIPIPE":1ttdrmy0 said:
You definitely need some LATAKIA in your life. It will certainly put a smile on your face and a sign on your door that announces that "A MAN WHO SMOKES A PIPE RESIDES WITHIN". There is no better stink to have around a house than heavenly latakia. Add just a pinch of cigar leaf and man, the stink rises to an even higher standard. Good luck and good smokin!
I wish I could do it but I just cant stomach the Latakia, I was thinking of trying some Cigar Leaf blends, but I never could get in to the latakia. I have a bag of Bostonian 1776 sittin in my storage cabinet that i take out about once a year and smoke a bowl of but it is rough going through the whole bowl. I know tastes change overtime and this is exactly why I keep it around but I just cant do it yet.

Bostonian 1776 is not Sterling's 1776 Bostonian. They are different blends from different tobacco companies. I would suggest trying Sterling's 1776 Bostonian before you say you cannot stomach Latakia. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you contact Jack Peterson at Sterling's he'll probably accommodate you with a free sample. Unfortunately, if you cannot stand very much Latakia you will never be able to stink up a room with your pipe.

Thats it. I got the free sample from him. Like I said I keep it around, and trying to keep an open mind to it but I cant as of right now.

Wow, you're looking for trouble! What has your wife done to piss you off so? :lol!:

LIPIPE has it right, find something with latakia in it, even just a bit. Most Virginia's are rather neutral in smell (to me at least) and the perique is usually in such small percentages that it's not impacting the smell that much.

Baring latakia, some orientals can add a sour note. My personal "stinkies" are most of the Lakeland Ropes, Walnut, and Arcadia.

Natch

Re: nauseating
Too bad I Don’t remember the name, but I recall the old timers in Brooklyn smoking a short cigar that looked like a black rope that smelled like burning dung. Latakia smells Sweet in comparison. To this day I can’t even get down wind of even a conventional cigar.

Sterling's 1776 Bostonian is about as gentle a latakia blend as you could ever get. No comparison to GLP Odyssey or 3 Oaks Syrian all of which I've smoked. My recommendation is to stay with whatever you like and give yourself a chance to acclimate to the more robust blends. Have no doubt that if you stick with your pipe your journey will make you a stinker for sure. Enjoy the ride.

Guy":olbkhntz said:
Too bad I Don’t remember the name, but I recall the old timers in Brooklyn smoking a short cigar that looked like a black rope that smelled like burning dung. Latakia smells Sweet in comparison. To this day I can’t even get down wind of even a conventional cigar.
When I was a boy growing up that sounds like what we called "guinea stinkers" ( I know not very PC today,but that was quite a while ago). And they did smell bad. "Squillo brand"comes to mind as i'm typing this.

Red Ryder":3iddbit6 said:
Guy":3iddbit6 said:
When I was a boy growing up that sounds like what we called "guinea stinkers" ( I know not very PC today,but that was quite a while ago). And they did smell bad. "Squillo brand"comes to mind as i'm typing this.
They were "DiNobili's".........Avanti & Pedroni are also pretty nasty.......

str8razor":9k6ksawi said:
As a predominately VA/PER smoker I have noticed alot of the blends I smoke (C&D's Exhausted Rooster, Kajun Kake, Night Train, Bayou Morning) that the room note is just not there. I mean if your sitting in the couch beside me you can deffinatley tell that Im smoking something but I want my wife to be able to smell it in the Kitchen, bedroom, basement. I want something to smoke that as soon as you walk in my home its almost nauseating. Any suggestions :?:
Have you tried Old Joe Krantz or Pennington Gap? If you like perique, they both have loads of it and (IMHO) have a stronger room note than the ones you've mentioned.... although I'm surprised that Exhausted Rooster didn't fit the bill. That stuff's darn near an aromatic.

Guy":by16g5sf said:
Dry cured charrots, several companies make them, look like nasty old dog rockets, and taste about like that as well. :affraid: Popular among Italian & Serbian immigrants where I grew up. I remember an old dive/bar in the Italian section of Milwaukee where this old guy would come in puffing on one. When it got down to a soggy, nasty stub, he'd cram it in an old pipe and with about fifty relights smoke it down to an ash! It would bubble, and pop, and smelled like wet oak leaves coated with rubber cement.

I remember asking the bar tender (a friend of mine) how old this guy was, he looked over 100. He said he was probably only in his 30s, but smoking those nasty things made him look older.

Natch

Natch":vrs0fumo said:
Guy":vrs0fumo said:
Dry cured charrots, several companies make them, look like nasty old dog rockets, and taste about like that as well. :affraid: Popular among Italian & Serbian immigrants where I grew up. I remember an old dive/bar in the Italian section of Milwaukee where this old guy would come in puffing on one. When it got down to a soggy, nasty stub, he'd cram it in an old pipe and with about fifty relights smoke it down to an ash! It would bubble, and pop, and smelled like wet oak leaves coated with rubber cement.

I remember asking the bar tender (a friend of mine) how old this guy was, he looked over 100. He said he was probably only in his 30s, but smoking those nasty things made him look older.

Natch
:x for the stuff he was smoking, and
:lol: for the story!

No Per in there but Irish Flake is boys only clubhouse stuff... if you want peace and quiet around you this stuff is for you.