Vented "Cool" Pipe???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfAZ

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm thinking about starting to carve pipes. I've never done it, but usually find success in almost anything I put my mind to. I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a pipe with extra slats, fins, holes, etc., to radiate off excess heat? Certainly there must be something that has been tried. Or there's a specific shape which makes heat consideration irrelevant due to it's design. I'm just curious. Thanks for any feedback. I'm collecting ideas...

Josh

There are a lot of such pipes. One of the more recent of the finned variety is the porsche pipe line. A lot of pipes have been designed with the idea of cooling the smoke and or keeping the bowl cooler from the likes of Duke of Dundees to Dr. Grabow and Kaywoody to Falcon. Sometime the feature, such as fins, are on the bowl and other times they are on, or in, the shank or stem.

A little google-fu along with the other examples provided in reply to your question should give you a lot to work with.

*shrug* It's been tried and done, but with how much success over difficulty-of-creation (and added delicacy to the pipe) we'll probably not know. The solution to heat problems in almost pipe, though, is up to the smoker, not the pipe.

Making a "heat sink" type pipe seems like a good challenge, but for your first few pipes, you might want to learn what briar is all about first-hand by just carving a standard design. Problems like the inconsistency in quality of briar, flaws, sand pits, and grain randomness all come into play, and that's enough to thwart even the simplest carving. Briar is closer to trying to work on marble than wood. :lol:

Whatever direction you go, good luck. 8)

Noted. Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to get in over my head right away. And I respect that it's how you smoke more then what you smoke. Just like 4x4ing is more how you drive then what you drive. I get it. I'll definitely start with something very simple. In fact, I have an "antique" Algerian Briar made by Edwards. For my first creation, I'm planning to mimic it, since I'll have it as a hands on guide. We'll see. At this point, the attitude I'm taking is that it will come with practice. So the bottom line is,,, order a bunch of wood and just start carving! I'm sure when I've mastered the art, my first few crude pieces will be priceless to me. Hope to get started soon! Thanks again for the info.

George Kaplan":41ys2572 said:
Then there's always this one:

Or the infamous Porsche Pipe

pdp930.jpg

For the price they want, I'm surprised anyone would really know. ;)

Fishfuzz":zj8e2yh4 said:
For the price they want, I'm surprised anyone would really know. ;)
Well, I'm strictly playing devil's advocate here, and have no official opinion one way or the other, but I'm intrigued by advances in any way. On a philosophical level; while I believe stepping backwards towards simplicity is ideal, we seem to enjoy reinventing the wheel in this civilization, and creating technology which is reactive rather then proactive. So, while I would prefer an earlier method for consuming tobacco, I still despise the plug and appreciate that we have pipes at all. If someone invents something like this, despite it's cost, I think it's cool. Of course, if we put as much effort into sustainable energy and food sources as we do into items such as this attractive little ditty, maybe we wouldn't be in the predicament we're facing. I throw my hands up. I can't do it myself. Until the race is ready as a whole, I might as well smoke my life away, and if I can have one of those fancy pipes in my collection, so be it. :roll: :lol: 8)

Please take that all with a grain of salt. It's late and I'm just having a moment before I hit the sack.

Night all...

Josh

If the word "sustainable" wasn't such a pop-culture fashion show, on that same note, I'd love to see ingenuity do something more than "fascinating curiosity." Like the idea of a "cool smoking pipe," have at it--obviously there's people into the idea, else why the Porsche design? *shrug*

Go for it. Or don't. (I think Josh was trying to say... :lol: ) Just post pictures, that's all I ask.

Hahahah...the self-venting pipe. Kind of like a volcano! :shock: :lol:

Check out the "Doodler" and the "Holy Smoke". The Doodlers were originally made by Tracy Mincer,the guy who first made the Custombilt pipes(or was it the Custom-Bilt) The Holy Smoke were made by a (IIRC) preacher and his daughter who drilled the holes around the circumference of the bowl.

ejames":36z3yho8 said:
Check out the "Doodler" and the "Holy Smoke". The Doodlers were originally made by Tracy Mincer,the guy who first made the Custombilt pipes(or was it the Custom-Bilt)
The Doodler:

Obviously, this one needs a lot of work, but that's what it looks like.

Is that pipe "tiered," kind of like the Porsche pipe? I had one of those. Bought it because it was a nice size and the basic idea of the design seemed to make sense. Friends, it was one of the few pipes I ever just threw away in frustration, chiefly because it started to gurgle as soon as I struck the match and, for some reason, couldn't deliver taste to save its life. Other's experience may well vary, since it's hard to believe that all the pipes in the lot were as poor as mine.

KevinM":mi9eyk3j said:
Is that pipe "tiered," kind of like the Porsche pipe?
The Doodler? Yeah, I guess you could call it that. The groove under the crown in a little over 1/4in deep, leaving a sort of "wheel" on top. The holes are about 3/4in deep, going trough the wheel down into the strummel. THe other strange thing about it is the chamber; the bowl is flat-bottomed with the draft hole dead center, going straight down before making an abrupt turn toward the shank. With even my scant working knowledge of pneumatics, I could tell you that's where the gurgle starts. This one I keep as a curiosity. Some day I'll get around to restoring it.

I tend to think the simpler the better and find straight billiards usually the best all around pipe in terms of cool smoking and staying lit for me(everybody's different though) but what is your goal of the vented design? I'm a heating/AC technician by trade(only I deal with bigger pipes), and there are really two roads you could aim for,

1- vented to allow extra draft helping the pipe to stay lit between puffs(which would benefit slow smokers or sippers)

2- venting for heat escape to keep the smoke and the pipe cooler during more intense smoking(which would benefit people who smoke like there's crack at the bottom of the bowl, cigarette refugees usually smoke like theres a prize at the bottom too though(Surprise the prize is tongue bite and wet goo)

Ideally though for vented designs, I think due to the small size of pipes you're really limited in what you can do that will actually function on a noticable level.

also, for the extra draft to stay lit function, you would ideally run small draft holes somewhere that will suck in excess air to aid the combustion of the tobacco, but it would only work for a certain(tiny) portion of the bowl as once its moved above or below the depth of the vents they would no longer serve their purpose, the vents need to be at the point of combustion or the excess air will be of no real use.

and for the 2nd option of keeping the pipe itself cooler you would need to carve a very intricate bowl within a bowl design leaving enough connections to ensure solid strength it's hard to explain what I mean, there are some rediculously stupid pipes on ebay made of steel that convey this principle called "pipe of the future, but I'm thinking more of a brair version of the same principle, I hope you understand I'm confusing myself trying to explain it.

untitl10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Also I may be wrong as what I've said is just my opinion, I usually work with residential, and industrial heating and cooling systems but the principles of combustion and heat dissipation should also apply to pipes though the sizes and the way pipes work is very small and restrictive draft wise, there is only so much that can truly be accomplished in such a limited space.

But as usual I've been into the whisky again and don't know how much sense this all makes, if its confusing I could draw pictures(limited to stickmen and basic shapes)