Violet flavored Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
does it exist? im thinking along the lines of those Chowards brand mints.

i know its a very aromatic scent and almost perfume like, but i think it could make a tasty tobacco.

anyone know of any such Baccy?

On the off chance that this is a serious post...there are a couple of the Gawith & Hogwarts blends that come close perhaps. Though they are listed as having quite a melange of other scents as well, they might approximate the violets you questionably crave. For specific names you'll have to hear from someone with a more refined experience than mine but I'd guess that Ennerdale Flake or Cannon Plug (etc.) would be a good place to start. While neither is the specific 'species' you're seeking, either would provide at least a 'gestault' of your target petals. On a semi-interesting side note...these were often smoked in pipes of the Falcon line, also of UK origon, since the bowls could than be disgarded. It was also arguably the origin of the phrase, "Put the petal to the metal!"

nogbert, I too love those violet squares and violet gum, but I don't know of any tobaccos that match that flavor. Several of the Lakeland flakes have floral scents, and I find Bosun Cut Plug along with Coniston Plug similar to the flavoring you seek, if not identical. I'd be interested if you do find a match.

Natch

nogbert":i1uwvwgx said:

i know its a very aromatic scent and almost perfume like, but i think it could make a tasty tobacco.

Lord I hope not.

so much hate! lol i never would have imagined. :(

It was a serious question, but mostly fueled by curiosity.

i hope i have not tainted my reputation here :no: :oops:

Try contacting Craig Tarler @ Cornell & Diehl. He may have some suggestions and might work with you on an experimental blend.

nogbert":nbyzplq1 said:
so much hate! lol i never would have imagined. :(

It was a serious question, but mostly fueled by curiosity.

i hope i have not tainted my reputation here :no: :oops:
Nonsense, you can smoke anything you want... :lol:

No hate at all, bro. We might enjoy poking a little fun now and then as much as we enjoy our favorite blends...whatever they might be. I really think that some of the posts re the Gawith blends could proove fruitfull...or flowerfull...or whatever. The thing with the Brit blends mentioned is that in addition to the floral scents with which they are blessed they are made with very tobacco flavored bases such as the Best Broen, etc. And there are some truly potent items in the lineup as well...like Dark Flake/Plug Scented, etc. I regularly smoke these and fully enjoy them. If you, however, go to an American type blend there will likely be a fair portion of Cavendish and/or PG that could make the mix smoke hot and/or wet. Just sayin'. Try a few of the Brit things first...like Bosun, Conneston, Glengary, Dark Scented, etc. to see how close they come to the profile you're seeking, then go from there.

Remember, as in all things, it's how you take the slings and arrows (if there are any) that makes your reputation...not what you smoke. If you find something you like, as has been said, let us knoe cause we'd likely want to try it.

nogbert":11q21pve said:

G&H has several famous (or infamous) floral-scented tobaccos. Many despise them, but they have really grown on me! I would suggest Kendal Flake if you're looking for something with a heavy floral component, or perhaps Bosun Cut Plug.

Caminetto used to make Lombardo, or something like that name, that was described in P & T as the same sent as a corsage for a prom date. I used to smoke it once a year, it actually was a nice smoke. it was so floral it was dry more than sweet. I sort of wish I could find more but it seems to be out of production.

Hi, can anyone tell me what brown flake scented is like? I love Dark Flake Scented it's the only blend that really scratches the itch for me. brown Flake scented is supposed to be tonquin, maple & licorice also...does it taste the same? Is it same topping lighter flake or is there a difference to the taste? I've read it described as violet flavor (I'm looking for a GH tobacco that tastes like Chowards mints lol). I love the flavoring of Ennerdale too but it lacks the punch of DFS. I like every G&H I've tried but looking for something with violet (La Perique Flake actually does have this taste a bit)...so anyone know if Brown Flake Scented has a violet flavor?

I know there are violet scented nasal snuffs. You might have luck looking at which companies make them and checking with that company for a similar pipe tobacco. Some do custom work. Many already sell pipe tobacco equivilants of most of their snuff. Or is it snuff equivilants of their pipe tobacco?

Thanks stapf thats a good tip. I know G&H makes snuff, I'v looked but havent seen a violet flavor tobacco made by anyone. I've read Bosun Cut Plug described as having the flavor of the chowards scented gum since they both have cloves. I cant taste it but only have smoked the unscented. Often people reference violet mints when describing G&H soapy flavor.

DFS is one of my favorite Lakeland scented blends. Even though both Gawaith cousins make a number of scent types, there are a few other blends that mirror DFS more or less...but none with a similar PUNCH. Ouch!

To me, the claim that DHS has a heavy tonquin flavoring is pretty far fetched. But if it IS true then other flavors/scents mask or mitigate it to a huge degree. Tonquin is the scenting that is akin to 'rotten bubble gum' and I think it's used in 1792 and Ennerdale. I find it totally nasty and stay far away.

But other blends I find that are similar to DFS are No. 7 Broken Flake, Glengarry Flake and to some degree, Kendal Flake. But DFS is so much more potent in terms of its nicotine punch and its dark flavors, perhaps due to the Dark Fired Kentucky in it that nothing really comes close.

Lastly, the four blends I mentioned here that come the closest to what you might call "Violet" - I tend to think of as "Geranium" or "Rose/Geranium"... which is a scent descriptive used for Gawith blends here and there. So either just look for the No.7 Broken Flake  or Glengarry Flake...or look for the term Geranium in the scent description and you might find your Violet nosgay.

Another whole, and now fruitless direction (since it's been discontinued) is Hearth & Home Marquee Series, Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo; a full-bodied blend with dark air-cured, dark fire-cured and Perique with a rich flavor including juniper, lavender and clove. I used to like that one...and it fairly shreeked of scents similar to Violet. 

Good luck.

Big snuff taker here, and I can also say that I have smoked my way through a number of G&H blends but I have never come close to finding a flavoring that hints at that of the violet or wallflower scent that one finds in the realm of snuff.

G&H's pipe tobacco toppings are more ambrosial in nature and are typically a combination of flavors used to achieve a balance between the scent and the flavor strength of the tobacco base. Different flavoring techniques for different applications if you will. So what might work great for snuff might not be so fantastic for smoking tobacco.

Fribourg & Treyer uses violet in several of their snuffs, the most concentrated violet scent would be found in their Morlaix. Santa Domingo & Bordeaux also contain it. However, I wouldn't expect to find this flavoring in F&T pipe tobacco (the label is owned by Planta of Germany), the snuff is made by Wilson's of Sharrow, England. Toque and McCrystal's both make violet snuff, Toque Violet, McCrystal's Violet. G&H makes a snuff called Wall Flower, and a trace of violet can be found in Sam Gawith's Prince's Dark.