Virginia or other tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is interesting. I did smoke cigs for about 37 years, however I also smoked my pipes for a time and have always smoked a few cigars form time to time. I do like Virginias best and still struggle a bit with the burley, maybe haven't smoked the right one yet.

When I smoked pipes in the 70's it was mostly aromatics but this time I just couldn't get into them no matter how much I tried. When I tried Opening Night at first I like the start and then mid way just seemed too much, but after an Oz. it got so it was my fav.

Now I have about 4 or 5 Virginias at the top of my list.

Skip

Piet Binsbergen":5efanqaj said:
New Smoker":5efanqaj said:
I am a cigarette smoker that struggles with quitting.
I prefer Virginias and Burleys!

Hope that helps ;)
HEEEEHAAAAAA NS!!
I still have a problem with cigarettes,
You are looking at tobacco's last outpost here, certified junkie, If it has leaf I smoke it!!!!
VA, Burley and Lat, but I really don't do cigars that said, maybe good ones here cost an arm and a leg and I have nothing to show for it when I'm done!!

Long Live Tobacco, to you I pledge my soul!!!!!
To answer your question,
VA Burley and Vaper!
My wife refers to me as a "tobacco worm" :lol!: :lol!:

Never really a cigarette smoker, but there was a time in the 90s when I'd pick up a small pouch of Three Castles, or a pack of Turkish variety unfiltereds, once a month and have a roll-your-own or two in a day. The pouch would go dry before I'd finish it. There were some wonderful Turkish cigarettes at one time; very sweet and uniquely flavorful. Always been very thankful I don't have that propensity to addiction or an oral fixation. Smoked maybe a cigar every week or two when I got the hankerin'.

I was a 90/10 English to Virginia smoker for most of my pipe smoking years, and then a few years ago, for no apparent reason, I became much more interested in Virginias. Now I'd say it is more like 35/65 in favor of Virginias. It certainly doesn't hurt that I can't find an English that grabs me like the old Balkan Sobranie, Crown Achievement, and Nightcaps did. About the closest I've found are Samuel Gawith heavy Englishes. Could be that my taste has changed significantly, but I also think the quality of tobacco has a lot to do with my shift.

Never did care for Cavendish or Burley blends.

I was a heavy cig smoker for 20 years while also occasionally smoking pipes (and still haven't completely weaned myself off the damn things). I greatly prefer English/Balkans and have liked them since I first tried a latakia-containing blend in 1990. I like burlies second -- tied with certain Va/Pers -- and Virginias are probably my least favorite although I love them as well. I like some aromatics, but only smoke a bowl or two each week at most.
One thing to factor in here: Cigarette smokers are more likely to smoke fast, as we are looking for a nicotine hit and big flavor. Virginias don't respond well to that kind of treatment, except maybe some of the Lakelands. Also, cigs contain a lot of burley -- I've yet to find a straight Va that reminds me in an way of a cigarette, but Prince Albert, Kendal Kentucky and Aged Burley Flake taste like premium cigarettes to me (albeit slightly sweetened cigarettes). Most cig smokers I know get into burley blends or American English mixtures (burley plus la) when they switch to pipes.

That's interesting, because don't Virginias contain the highest nicotine content? The less stoved and lighter the leaf, the higher it is, I believe. Maybe not without exception, but as a general rule.

I forgot that American cigarettes aren't all Virginia tobacco, unlike many of the imports.

I smoked Camel Filters until RJR cut the balls off 'em a few years ago, then moved to Marlboro Reds and always enjoyed Luckies.

Back up, I started the pipe nine years ago while smoking cigarettes. I liked black cav but disliked PA at first, later got to like CH and Rum & Maple 57. Turns out I was a rookie idiot for hating the Prince, now it's mostly all I smoke. The point is that my tastes matured to this point, I didn't switch to burley for maybe a few years. Now, I find that it really satisfies and aromatics are useless candy to me.

I'd agree with jj, cause burley is my favorite being thast it's very much an all-purpose smoke like cigs are. Both cigs and burley go with coffee, beer and anything. PA, and it's got to be from the can, just seems to fill the need for a good all day smoke that cigarette smokers are used to. I don't think that PA tastes like cigarettes, it has much more flavor and you get the taste of the pipe along with it. Cigs are lung food, pipes have flavor.

By the way to most former cig smokers mostly stick to one brand of pipe tobacco, like we would cigarettes, or am I in the minority?

Glad to see I'm not alone here Gents, This has made for some interesting reading from all of you!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nice meeting you today Utahpipeman, I have never smoked cigarettes and I tend toward Aromatics, furthering your theory on the non-smoker side.

I actually gave up smoking cigs & only later picked up the pipe. At first it was aro's only - because that's pretty much all that's available here in SA. It was only after joining pipe & tobacco forums that I was introduced to the world of tobaccos out there & began importing them. I smoked a really mixed diet of Va's & English with an occasional bit of burley thrown in. These days it's mainly Va's though.

Never smoked cigarettes, only cigars and then pipes.
I smoke pipes more than cigars now.
My baccy of choice from day one was VAPers, followed by straight VA's.
I dabble in blends that have: VA, Burleys, & Latakia (very small amounts if possible) and the occasional light aromatics.

Muddler":s4jtuz1b said:
I actually gave up smoking cigs & only later picked up the pipe. At first it was aro's only - because that's pretty much all that's available here in SA. It was only after joining pipe & tobacco forums that I was introduced to the world of tobaccos out there & began importing them. I smoked a really mixed diet of Va's & English with an occasional bit of burley thrown in. These days it's mainly Va's though.
Mudd has been a solid influence on me, he has offered sound advice in this Dept. but I fail to listen in the cig department.
I failed there Mudd, sorry man!!

Muddler":zubbdt8a said:
Ditto here Mudd, 'cept I tend to lean more towards the Burley's and Latakia blends.

bluedigital":gzledalb said:
Muddler":gzledalb said:
Ditto here Mudd, 'cept I tend to lean more towards the Burley's and Latakia blends.
No more FVF for you then BD!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

bluedigital":lw9e7uuh said:
Piet Binsbergen":lw9e7uuh said:
No more FVF for you then BD!!!!!
Uhhm, but Ill take what I can get :lol!:

bluedigital":t9y02b2n said:
bluedigital":t9y02b2n said:
Piet Binsbergen":t9y02b2n said:
BB, Jock, Fox and Horse Shoe!!!!!!!
o ja, How about some 1904 apple? :cyclops: :cyclops: :cyclops: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":pqm5mthx said:
bluedigital":pqm5mthx said:
bluedigital":pqm5mthx said:
Piet Binsbergen":pqm5mthx said:
o ja, How about some 1904 apple? :cyclops: :cyclops: :cyclops: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: Don't get me started :lol!: :lol!:

bluedigital":lp7qw6z3 said:
Piet Binsbergen":lp7qw6z3 said:
Piet Binsbergen":lp7qw6z3 said:
:lol!: :lol!: Don't get me started :lol!: :lol!:
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

bruins":rr7tqnus said:
horse shoe sounds delicious. (but not jock.) :D
OK you are getting Some next time, and you will smoke it allllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Stop assing around here and go to post office Bruins!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: