War Horse Bar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've smoked the green bar. Its not one Rande would enjoy I'm sure. Very heavily topped. It smells like Play-Doh to me. It doesn't come across as Play-Doh in the taste though. Yes it is very strong stuff both in flavor and nicotine.

Jim

Blackhorse":925p09sl said:
Brewdude":925p09sl said:
Looking for input on this myself. Hope it's not as nic-laden as say SG brown rope. Can't handle that, despite the fact I enjoy the flavour.

Cheers,

RR

Oh, by the way Rande...this stuff is also supposed to be Uber Stinky...in the Lakeland style. Like floral plus licorice. So for you that’s a double whammy.  

:x  <—-  this is Rande tasting Lakelands
Right. Duly noted Dave.

Looks like this one is a clear miss to me!

hufflepuff":925p09sl said:
I've smoked the green bar. Its not one Rande would enjoy I'm sure. Very heavily topped. It smells like Play-Doh to me. It doesn't come across as Play-Doh in the taste though. Yes it is very strong stuff both in flavor and nicotine.

Jim
Loud and clear Jim. Not for the likes of me!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

I recently purchased a tin of the Ready Cut.  I hope it doesn't have any Lakeland-like floral essence.  I can't stand that either.

Walkman":mvkkyw68 said:
I recently purchased a tin of the Ready Cut.  I hope it doesn't have any Lakeland-like floral essence.  I can't stand that either.

As I’ve said...it is supposed to have heliotrope or something similar in it. Floral and deep licorice is the way it was described. Plus tonquin or some such odious crap. So...I don’t know. But then, the ready cut might be toned down?

I seem to remember it being more like a highly pressed crumble cake sorta thing. In the same ballpark as, say, Condor. A pleasure to smoke but a little "ghosty".

My impressions are of ONE TIN, so don't take my words too seriously.

I'm smoking the Ready Cut now in a cob. It doesn't seem all that strong, and the scent is more like bad B.O.! Hmmm, is there ever any good B.O.? :shock: And, if you are thinking what I think you are thinking, I took a shower this morning. ;)

I like the Ready Cut myself. It has a bit of flavor but not so strong that it distracts me when I'm doing something else.

Btw, the guys who brought back the War Horse bar told me that belladonna and creosote were in the original formula. Obviously, they can't use those today.

JimInks":t4woc6a9 said:
I like the Ready Cut myself. It has a bit of flavor but not so strong that it distracts me when I'm doing something else.

Btw, the guys who brought back the War Horse bar told me that belladonna and creosote were in the original formula. Obviously, they can't use those today.
Was that Russ Oulette?

Blackhorse":tos24bpl said:
JimInks":tos24bpl said:

Was that Russ Oulette?
No, that was Simon and Dan from the Standard Tobacco Company, although Russ certainly knew what was in the original. They had chemists analyze the original to determine what was in the old War Horse. I was their crash test dummy/taste tester for these blends, and the original War Horse was still mighty potent.

Smoking the original and remake back to back in an egg shaped meer made me mighty mellow! :D

JimInks":n9wsnvnj said:
This is one time when I'm glad that the new stuff isn't exactly like the old stuff.

When I saw the breakdown of the analysis of the original War Horse Bar, I was shocked. I couldn't believe that even back in the day that they would be allowed to use some of the ingredients. It was a real challenge to try to capture the essence of the original while avoiding those elements that we couldn't use today, and also the ones that I would never use, even if I could.

Russ

Being a cigar guy with a predilection towards heavy ligero content Nicaraguan sticks, I really need to buy a tin of this and give it a try :D

This is good stuff! I ordered it on a whim and am pleasantly surprised with the balance of smoke and earth with the sweetness. I noticed liquorice and perhaps molasses from the tin and was concerned it would be too sweet.

This is also my first experience with dark-fired Kentucky. I need to try other blends to gauge whether I like it, but I certainly don't hate it.