Weird or Unpopular Tobaccos You Like

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartaphilus":s1c5sjx2 said:
DrT999":s1c5sjx2 said:
DrumsAndBeer":s1c5sjx2 said:
Weird - Grasmere flake and Sweet Coconut Twist. Unpopular - McClelland's Grey Havens.
Grasmere is weird?  :shock: Guess all my Lakeland-like 'likes' are weird then!
I'll have to agree with that sir, anybody who likes a soapy taste probably had to hold a bar in there mouth so much that they acquired a taste for it.
Your soap may be floral, but not mine  ;) Of course, I also like the violet candy that 4 Noggins sells

DrumsAndBeer":a3aq1yxq said:
DrT999":a3aq1yxq said:
Grasmere is weird?  :shock: Guess all my Lakeland-like 'likes' are weird then!
Well to me, Grasmere Flake (which you turned me onto btw) is more exotic and alluring than it is weird, but at the same I also recognize that rose and geranium scented pipe tobacco is not exactly up every piper's alley.

Altogether it's the most "unique" blend that I smoke regularly.  
exotic, alluring, and unique . . . I like that!

I had a guy come by the church between jobs and looking for some help. He saw the pipes on my desk and said he was a smoker and hadn't had money for tobacco for a while. I told him he could fill up a bowl if he had his pipe, and he said that really his favorite smoke was a bulk intended for RYO at one of the local Low Bob's. He said you had to ask for it, and it was weighed out and not sold prepackaged. I told him the next time he came back I would have some for him just to see him through a tough time.

So - I went to the Low Bob's and asked about this. They had a large cardboard box behind the counter, and the gal pulled out an 8 oz ziplock bag of something labeled "NC - Bold (Kentucky)" with a sharpie. I bought it and smoked about an ounce of it. I gave him the rest. This smoked a little like a slightly spicy Five Brothers with a coarser cut. With tax and all, this was less than $9 for the 8 oz.

This tobacco qualifies as weird for this forum. It was not one of those "knock your socks off" great smokes, but it was pretty good. It was very dry and could have benefited from some hydration. It was not one of those smokes that has nuances or subtle top notes. You are not looking up Corinthian leather in the thesaurus to describe it.

There are tobaccos I would smoke again. There are tobaccos I like enough to buy to smoke again. I would buy this one.

Fr_Tom":vg70vlhc said:
I had a guy come by the church between jobs and looking for some help. He saw the pipes on my desk and said he was a smoker and hadn't had money for tobacco for a while. I told him he could fill up a bowl if he had his pipe, and he said that really his favorite smoke was a bulk intended for RYO at one of the local Low Bob's. He said you had to ask for it, and it was weighed out and not sold prepackaged. I told him the next time he came back I would have some for him just to see him through a tough time.

So - I went to the Low Bob's and asked about this. They had a large cardboard box behind the counter, and the gal pulled out an 8 oz ziplock bag of something labeled "NC - Bold (Kentucky)" with a sharpie. I bought it and smoked about an ounce of it. I gave him the rest. This smoked a little like a slightly spicy Five Brothers with a coarser cut. With tax and all, this was less than $9 for the 8 oz.

This tobacco qualifies as weird for this forum. It was not one of those "knock your socks off" great smokes, but it was pretty good. It was very dry and could have benefited from some hydration. It was not one of those smokes that has nuances or subtle top notes. You are not looking up Corinthian leather in the thesaurus to describe it.

There are tobaccos I would smoke again. There are tobaccos I like enough to buy to smoke again. I would buy this one.
Great story Tom. I gotta say, it would be weird to buy your favorite tobacco at that price point, dry and pulled from a cardboard box.

I was gifted a pound of Smokers Blend Mint the other day form my wife's uncle. He's a cig smoker who rolls his own with Virgina pipe tobacco. He said that he only paid $10 US for it on a trip a couple of years ago. The bag was still sealed and the tobacco will need to be rehydrated. Tried one bowl and the mint was quite strong in flavor. I used to smoke a blend called Sunday Afternoon Pipe from a local B&M. At that time (changed now) it was labled as a sweet fruity/citrus blend with hint of mint. Thought that next time I make a tobacco order I might add a pinch of this to one jar of my regular baccy just for shits & giggles.

DrumsAndBeer":xeier1i6 said:
Great story Tom. I gotta say, it would be weird to buy your favorite tobacco at that price point, dry and pulled from a cardboard box.
Let's just say that this guy has had a hard life. He is not on BoB and has never heard of Penzance (or even Golden Extra which is what I offered). He found the best tobacco at a price point he could make work when he could find jobs hanging drywall/whatever. I figure I can take care of him in one of those "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers" things.

Fr_Tom":4arhnsgi said:
DrumsAndBeer":4arhnsgi said:
Let's just say that this guy has had a hard life. He is not on BoB and has never heard of Penzance (or even Golden Extra which is what I offered). He found the best tobacco at a price point he could make work when he could find jobs hanging drywall/whatever. I figure I can take care of him in one of those "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers" things.
First time I ever heard of a church giving out tobacco! Guess you are NOT Baptist!!!  :D 

Not Baptist... so I don't have to be a closeted smoker. I smoke in my office when the traffic is low and I am doing paperwork.

In the interests of full disclosure, I did not turn this one in to be be paid from the the Discretionary Fund. It was out of pocket, so just on me. It was one of those things where a brother is out of tobacco, and so you take care of him. His needs were simple and easily met. I snagged a few bowls for myself just to have had the experience.

Fr_Tom":ndb0m538 said:
Not Baptist...   so I don't have to be a closeted smoker. I smoke in my office when the traffic is low and I am doing paperwork.

In the interests of full disclosure, I did not turn this one in to be be paid from the the Discretionary Fund. It was out of pocket, so just on me. It was one of those things where a brother is out of tobacco, and so you take care of him. His needs were simple and easily met. I snagged a few bowls for myself just to have had the experience.
I will often say in a sermon that if the Lord convicts any my congregants of pipe smoking and single malt scotch drinking they should bring those things to me for proper disposal!

Fr_Tom":ksx0w2hp said:
It was one of those things where a brother is out of tobacco, and so you take care of him. His needs were simple and easily met. I snagged a few bowls for myself just to have had the experience.

That is what pipe smokers do...this is the brotherhood.

I've grown to like a few Lakelands...I suppose that qualifies as weird, at least to some.

Unpopular? Hmmmm...I don't see Grey Havens mentioned all that often, especially being from a big-name blender (McC), but it's one of my favorite blends.

I'm so easy to please might be easier to tell you the only two blends I have disliked.

PS Peaches and Cream  :no: 
CAO DaVinci  :silent: 

Occasionally, I'll have a bowl of Grousemeer.  I generally like Lakelands, both scented and un-scented, but Grousemeer seems to me, to be the "soapiest" of toe "soapy".

Natch

Mixture No. 79, when I want to go back in time--and it has an agreeable bowl scent like no other.  Would list Bond Street, later forced to change its name to Bourbon Street, but it's no longer available.  Both are soapy, but after a bowl or two I like them.  Sort of.

I too enjoy an occasional bowl of Grousemoor.

I recently listened to a Pipe Magazine Radio Podcast segment with Brian Levine interviewing Paul Creasy at Sutliff. He spoke in great detail about the origins of Mixture 79, as well as a bit about some of their other highly aromatic blends that they give their patented "dip casing" treatment to (Molto Dolce, Charlemagne, etc.) It was quite interesting.

Not really weird but definitely not popular. I'm a big OTC smoker granted most of my stash is more than 40 years old so it was probably better quality back then but its still OTCs.

Jim