Weird or Unpopular Tobaccos You Like

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguy

Reaction score
We are all unique individuals with different tastes.  What are the tobaccos you like that may be generally unpopular or considered by others as weird or taste weird or strange to you but you can't resist smoking them.

Two tobaccos come to mind for me:
1. Escoterica Tilbury: smells weird, tastes weird when you light it up (kind of like a tainted bale of hay) but grows on you as you smoke it to the bottom of the bowl.
2. Cornell and Diehl Habana Daydream:  a cigar blend that would make a billy goat puke but there is just something about it... :fpalm:

Two Friends Valle Crusis. The description-

A blend of fine stoved Virginia and oriental tobaccos, rich Cyprian Latakia, black toasted Cavendish and just a pinch of Perique. The mixture is finished with a delicate top note of ginger, perfectly complimenting the complex flavors and wonderful aroma of the natural tobaccos. A subtle sweetness and gentle spice is present from first light to last puff, and a clean, dry ash demonstrates the tobacco's purity.

It's an interesting blend. The Lat is used very sparingly, and while you can get a whiff of it in the pouch aroma it doesn't translate much to the flavor. And the ginger gives it a unique "twang".

Took a few bowls for me to decide if I liked it, but I like it just fine now.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude, that blend sounds interesting to me.  I think I will give it a try! ;)
Oops! I can only find it in 8oz tins.
OK... found 2oz tins on Smokingpipes.com.

All my McClelland blends/mixtures. It's that "ketchup thing" all the "experts" talk about ya know  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

Weird - Grasmere flake and Sweet Coconut Twist. Unpopular - McClelland's Grey Havens.

At least we never have to be worried about our favorite "weird blends" being sold out.  :lol!: 

DrumsAndBeer":l63hvusp said:
Weird - Grasmere flake and Sweet Coconut Twist. Unpopular - McClelland's Grey Havens.
Grasmere is weird?  :shock: Guess all my Lakeland-like 'likes' are weird then!

flyguy":xrg5lqun said:
Brewdude, that blend sounds interesting to me.  I think I will give it a try! ;)
Oops! I can only find it in 8oz tins.
OK... found 2oz tins on Smokingpipes.com.
SP is the only source I'm aware of, and yes they have it in 2 oz tins last I checked. I was sure I wouldn't like it before trying it (got some in a trade), but it really grew on me after a few bowls.

Cheers,

RR

Dramatwist":rtyvq4pt said:
Aromatics!
Yup, and the aromatic guys would say "latakia blends".  :lol!:

But seriously, it is about a weird blend you like.

Dunhill Royal Yacht.  All the internet talk of "Royal Yuk" is lost on me.
I'm almost ashamed at the number of tins I have squirreled away.

Whatever the blend, if it's a commercial blend it sells enough to keep it going, so lots of people would agree with your liking it.

As a US smoker, though, my preference for mixtures like Grasmere, St Bruno, and Maltan, rarely or never easily available in the US, would at least be seen as off-beat here, but pretty common in the UK or Ireland

Sometimes. and I am saying sometimes....

I sneak around while smoking some Hyde Park,

and totally deny it when asked about it the smell.

This blend was mentioned today in another thread.

My pick for "weirdest" is McClelland's 221B Series: Black Shag.  I had to triple check -- but confirmed it's all virginia.  Nothing else like it.

DrT999":79bp7o2g said:
DrumsAndBeer":79bp7o2g said:
I'll have to agree with that sir, anybody who likes a soapy taste probably had to hold a bar in there mouth so much that they acquired a taste for it.

rothnh":rp3mya6f said:

My pick for "weirdest" is McClelland's 221B Series: Black Shag.  I had to triple check -- but confirmed it's all virginia.  Nothing else like it.
Think I had this when it first came out around '01 or so.

Wasn't that the one where Mike McNeil dissected some old blend strand by strand and identified it and it's ratios? And then proceeded to replicate it? Or am I dis-remembering?

Think I liked it just fine back then, but haven't had it since. Perhaps time to revisit.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":bx0nhp9q said:
rothnh":bx0nhp9q said:

Think I had this when it first came out around '01 or so.

Wasn't that the one where Mike McNeil dissected some old blend strand by strand and identified it and it's ratios? And then proceeded to replicate it? Or am I dis-remembering?

Think I liked it just fine back then, but haven't had it since. Perhaps time to revisit.

Cheers,

RR
I liked it and reviewed it. Certainly not an every day smoke, but definitely a reflection of Mike's ability as a master blender and well worth trying, IMO.

DrT999":oircjpy7 said:
Well to me, Grasmere Flake (which you turned me onto btw) is more exotic and alluring than it is weird, but at the same I also recognize that rose and geranium scented pipe tobacco is not exactly up every piper's alley.

Altogether it's the most "unique" blend that I smoke regularly.