Well, I'm not Georges Simenon for sure !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
As many of you know, I'm a fan of Dunhill's Royal Yacht ( with much thanks to George Kaplan for re-introducing me to it this year :cheers: ) and also a big fan of the French author Georges Simenon and his Inspector Magrait novels. Mr. Simenon was known for being a very heavy pipe smoker, consuming 8 or more bowls of his favorite 'bac, Dunhill Royal Yacht a day in his Dunhills. So yesterday I thought I would give his smoking practice a try ( I had to use some Charatan's as I don't own enough Dunhills as he did though) and consumed 7 bowls of Royal Yacht in one day. WOW !!! By the end of the day I was in the biggest Nic induced stupor I have ever experienced!! More than I recall ever feeling back when I smoked un-filtered Pall Malls back when I was a cig smoker only! When I woke up this morning, I was still in somewhat of a fog, more than normal :p , and after a late slow breakfast, I lit up a small grp 2 sized BBB with some Dunhill Flake to start the day off and I must say, there must be more residual nic in my system than I thought as I've gotten a bit of a nic "buz" off of this bowl!! I still like RY, I just don't think I'm as much of a man as Mr. Simenon was to be able to smoke it bowl after bowl, day after day!! For those who 'need: the effects of Lady 'n' I highly recomend smoking just Royal Yacht all the time !! :twisted:

Geez, Monbla. :lol: Don't kill yourself on the account of inspiration of a book character--as a writer, I know there's some lofty impossibilities that some figures achieve regularly (for entertainment purposes only, do not attempt, professionals on a closed course...etc...) :lol:

8)

Wow - I think I'm feeling a little bit of a contact buzz from your exploits Monbla!!

Rob_In_MO":wmerxp9o said:
Yeah, we need you around and smoking your pipes for another 40-years to help keep this group in line!
Seriously.

What, was this the retiree's version of a kid tying a red sheet to his neck and jumping off the roof like Superman? :lol:

:p

8)

Kyle Weiss":us3mxisj said:
Rob_In_MO":us3mxisj said:
Yeah, we need you around and smoking your pipes for another 40-years to help keep this group in line!
Seriously.

What, was this the retiree's version of a kid tying a red sheet to his neck and jumping off the roof like Superman? :lol:

:p

8)
Great - I just got a mental image of Monbla in some Superman Under-roos!!! :affraid: :affraid:

Mozjo33":6m3bck4r said:
Great - I just got a mental image of Monbla in some Superman Under-roos!!! :affraid: :affraid:
:shock:

...can't...unsee...visual... :pale:

:no:

Mozjo33":kvok8vgx said:
I just stabbed myself in my Mind's Eye.

:cyclops:

Wow, Very impressive. Crazy, but impressive. I can't even imagine that RY has more N than Nightcap, let alone smoking seven bowls of something like that.

Is this a virility thing? Does Lady N have the same affect on you as oysters are reported to have on others? What does Mrs. Monbla think?

My unopened tin of RY remains open.

peckinpahhombre":omm7gwnq said:
Wow, Very impressive. Crazy, but impressive. I can't even imagine that RY has more N than Nightcap, let alone smoking seven bowls of something like that.

Is this a virility thing? Does Lady N have the same affect on you as oysters are reported to have on others? What does Mrs. Monbla think?

My unopened tin of RY remains open.
First, how does an UNOPENED tin remain OPEN? :twisted: And second. there hasn't been a "Mrs. Monbla" in over 20 years now and I don't expect there will be again. :twisted: And as for "virility", no problem, alls there and working when I take that morning pee every day!! And RY has MORE of a nic hit than NC for sure, but it sure tastes good while doing it's thing :twisted:

That's it...7 bowls and you were in a stupor. And I thought you considered yourself a man. Jeesh, my great grandma could smoke 9 bowls I bet and still kick your butt. :lol:

This reminds me, 3 weeks ago I had a 4 bowl day of 1792. I don't know what I was thinking, perhaps it was the fact that I was a bachelor for the weekend with the wife and kids out of town, no one to answer to, a bit too much beer?, etc. Nonetheless, the next day was not good :no: and I was thrown off the pipe wagon for a bit.

All things in moderation, and let legends be legends.

PS - my wife's Grandmother used to dip Copenhagen, sometimes 2 tins a day. :pale:

First, how does an UNOPENED tin remain OPEN?

That was a test to see if the Nicotene was impacting your cognitive functions. Glad to see you passed.

Flipping heck! I don't smoke that many bowls in a week.

Feeling a little emasculated right now.

I'm impressed. Seriously impressed.

Royal Yacht...definitely one of my favorites too, but 8 plus pipefuls a day, yeah that'd probably set the room spinning properly! BTW, does anyone else 'round here think Simenon had the coolest pipe racks? Dunno why but I dig 'em.
bEJbF.jpg
5oLMN.jpg

They are some good racks and to think most of the pipes hanging in 'em are Dunnies! Doing what I did the other day is not what I would do again, but I had to give it a try after I read about what and how much he smoked !! I do smoke btwn 4 to 5 bowls a day, but not RY again :p A nice Va or some good Balkan will do! Back when it was still made I did smoke up to 4 bowls of BS 759 a day many times. :p

I wonder what kind of typewriter he has under that cover... Hmmm...

...his rack is full of pipes, that's probably the nicest sight of all... :heart:

8)