Well it's been fun, we're beyond boned

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw which way the wind was blowing on this issue, hence my working on handling the growth to final product of my blends. Considering there is a huge tax revenue already on tobacco products, One wonders how the feds will make up the shortfalls in income.........

No small wonder the revival of older blends, eh?

as long as they keep their mitts off whole leaf tobacco I'll be ok. I can roll my own cigars that are awesome. But for pipes i don't think I'll ever be able to make anything as awesome as Penzance.

On the bright side, if they haven't changed the recipe for Penzance in the time between now and February 2007, it gets grandfathered....

Always need to look on the sunny side. Though no changes would be preferable....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8VB5aBkRI7w" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Glad you caught that one, Wiz. Any time I need to listen to something just for a pick-me-up, I instantly turn to that album. Great stuff.

<a href='/u2724' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: WarlockBob'>@WarlockBob</a>":79mmbefj said:
Glad you caught that one, Wiz. Any time I need to listen to something just for a pick-me-up, I instantly turn to that album. Great stuff.
This is the tune repeatedly playing in my head when I 'doyt' about the forest here...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOB3zo7Kg-o

<a href='/u3651' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Ozark Wizard'>@Ozark Wizard</a>":n7bboawo said:
<a href='/u2724' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: WarlockBob'>@WarlockBob</a>":n7bboawo said:
This is the tune repeatedly playing in my head when I 'doyt' about the forest here...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOB3zo7Kg-o
Ahhh yes, though I'll skip on the hard-boiled eggs.... :D

<a href='/u2724' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: WarlockBob'>@WarlockBob</a>":pyqx96za said:
On the bright side, if they haven't changed the recipe for Penzance in the time between now and February 2007, it gets grandfathered....

Always need to look on the sunny side. Though no changes would be preferable....
Too bad no companies will be around to sell it.

Looks like there's still 2+ years for companies have to be in compliance. That's more like 5-6 in government years.

In the meantime, stock up on your favorite post 2007 blend folks..

<a href='/u2402' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: DrumsAndBeer'>@DrumsAndBeer</a>":wons98at said:
Looks like there's still 2+ years for companies have to be in compliance. That's more like 5-6 in government years.

In the meantime, stock up on your favorite post 2007 blend folks..
Yup. This.

Build your cellars wide and deep...........

Cheers,

RR

You are looking at dictatorship, here and in too many instances elsewhere. Is there a way to make a nicotine wine out of saved dottles and cigar butts? Seems like it would be useful as an enema for the FDA control freaks, come the revolution. This is no longer a free country in any sense that matters, regardless of what "patriotic" fantasies its citizens may hold. I have often wondered what our soldiers, the best among us, are fighting and dying for. Amber waves of grain, or purple mountain majesties, or "the flag" or some crap? Disgusting.

You know Mr. Burley, as the member of a family with a long proud line of service to this nation. There was a time I would have started chest thumping and flag waving at your words. But the sad truth is the older I become and the farther I see behind the curtain. The more I come to agree with you. I have come to realize we are given just enough to keep us in fear of loosing what we have. This is the how we are controlled. For if we had more the conflict they depend upon to keep us distracted and disorganized would lessen. And had we less we would feel we have nothing to risk and rise against them. So they will continue to feed the young's desire for instant gratification while convincing them they don't need the rights that are being stripped away. And the majority of us older folks will set in our homes and die inside because we know what is being lost. Yet we will not stand up in the true sense of the word for lack of leadership, fear of being branded a threat then run over by the system, and the risk of losing the few liberties that remain to us.

<a href='/u4024' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Eric Furgeson'>@Eric Furgeson</a>":60zaoq1d said:
You know Mr. Burley, as the member of a family with a long proud line of service to this nation. There was a time I would have started chest thumping and flag waving at your words. But the sad truth is the older I become and the farther I see behind the curtain. The more I come to agree with you. I have come to realize we are given just enough to keep us in fear of loosing what we have. This is the how we are controlled. For if we had more the conflict they depend upon to keep us distracted and disorganized would lessen. And had we less we would feel we have nothing to risk and rise against them. So they will continue to feed the young's desire for instant gratification while convincing them they don't need the rights that are being stripped away. And the majority of us older folks will set in our homes and die inside because we know what is being lost. Yet we will not stand up in the true sense of the word for lack of leadership, fear of being branded a threat then run over by the system, and the risk of losing the few liberties that remain to us.
Very well Said.

Yes, I saw this posted yesterday and read a bit about it. Today I also read this:

http://halfwheel.com/5-takeaways-from-fdas-decision-to-regulate-cigars/113899

Which explains a little more detail about the regulations. It's a little more cigar focused but consider any part of it that says "cigars" to essentially be "cigars/pipe tobacco".

Unfortunately, we won't know the cost of applying each blend or the turnaround time on the approval process until May 10th. On the 10th they are supposed to release more defined terms of what will be required.

Besides the new approval requirements for blends after 2007, it also really sucks that free samples will no longer be allowed. That means reps can't give a shop owner free cigars or free pipe tobacco to sample before purchasing. Of course, I'm sure some of that will still happen but the threat of it being considered a "federal" crime is absurd. This also means that I can't give a free sample to a customer to test before they buy an ounce according to these new regulations.

They say it's to keep it away from youth and to keep us from marketing to youth. HOW ARE WE MARKETING TO YOUTH?! They also say it's to regulate the ingredients to help Americans be healthier. You want the ingredients?! Here's the ingredients: Tobacco. You're welcome. Simplified enough?

It really irks me that they decided to act on this absurdity. In addition to acting, they went one step further and chose the more stringent of the two options that were on the table. More and more regulation. More and more reach. More and more government.

These douche-nozzles need to mind their own behinds and get out my humidors.

Do I have an opinion about it... Nawwwwwww.

<a href='/u298' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Hermit'>@Hermit</a>":8j6nhum1 said:
What is this dumb law supposed to accomplish?
And what possessed them to pull 2007 oughtta their ass?
2007 is when I got my hands on one of the first e-cigs for overseas flights. Further study has alluded that most of this hubbub is regarding e-cigs/vaping and how easy it is for kids to get a hold of Skittles flavoured nicotine.....

<a href='/u3127' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: kaitlyn3837'>@kaitlyn3837</a>":m4t29i22 said:
Besides the new approval requirements for blends after 2007, it also really sucks that free samples will no longer be allowed. That means reps can't give a shop owner free cigars or free pipe tobacco to sample before purchasing. Of course, I'm sure some of that will still happen but the threat of it being considered a "federal" crime is absurd. This also means that I can't give a free sample to a customer to test before they buy an ounce according to these new regulations.
Seems like this would be very easy to get around by charging some miniscule amount like maybe a penny for a sample. That way it isn't free. This leads to the question "Will the Government tell me how much I must charge for the goods in my shop?" :)

AJ

I like your thinking AJ but let's take it a step farther. Perhaps all you have to pay for a sample is attention. Then you technically paid something