Well, you asked for it...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
Okay boys. This is where I am at on the Ramses I started. I figured I would do the first one out of Cherry, save myself the expense of messing up some briar. Still working on shaping, hopefully I'll be able to put in a little time tonight.

dscn2315.jpg

dscn2317.jpg

dscn2318.jpg

dscn2312.jpg

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, opinions???

Scottie

kudos! keep up the good work, ma'am!

i noticed the wine cork in the last picture there - remember, responsible pipemakers don't drink and drill :) .

doody!

Well it looks like you've got a pretty good start. The Ramses is a hard shape to make because of the steep angle of the stem in relation to the bowl.

By my eye the stem/shank junction needs some work. When you face the shank make sure you do not move the block from the vise. Go right ahead and drill the mortise. This will ensure that the mortise is very close to perpendicular to the shank face. How are you turning the tenons on your stems? That could also determine how much space can be seen between the stem/shank junction.

Your draft hole is also a hair off, but considering the shape and your experience you did a pretty good job. What diameter bit are you using to drill the draft hole? I use a 5/32" on all of mine. It allows a lot of air flow for a good smoke.

Your block doesn't look like its briar. What is it? make sure that the wood isn't toxic. There are a lot of alternative woods you can use, but you've got to make sure they are appropriate for pipe-making. It's also good that you are practicing on other blocks other than briar because if you mess up you're not out a lot of loot. Briar, especially good briar can be expensive.

This has a lot of potential right now. My advice would be to take things slowly. Examine the block while shaping from multiple angles. I also recommend using files and rasps for shaping instead of power tools. It's way too easy to remove too much material with power tools.

It looks great right now! Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the finished product!

She mentioned she's practicing on cherry wood... ;)

As for the draft hole, it's off a teensy bit, what I'm worried more about is the bottom of the bowl being a bit too deep below the draft hole...or it might just be the camera angle.

The Ramses shape isn't one I go for personally, but the challenge of making a pipe like that would be intense. I can't wait to see the finished product, as well as you finally getting it in briar! :cheers:

Well done, lass. 8)

This is the first block I drilled on my drill press. Lesson learned about taking the block out of the vise. My block wasn't quite square either, hince the draft hole is off.

I bought the stem from Mark Tinskey, so the tenon isn't the problem. I am going to get the Pimo tenon tool sometime in the near future.

I used a 5/32 bit for the airhole. From everything I have read that seemed to be the right size.

I am finished with power tools on this pipe. From here on out it will be files and sand paper. I grew up in a body shop and my grandfather always told me "It's what your hand feels, not what your eye sees." Words to live by with any craft.

And for the record, the cork is just to cover up the sharp end on my punch. I've been warned, my husband is not going to take me to the hospital in the middle of the night to get something sewn back on...

Scottie

Oh come on, tell him it's a true bloodsport, this pipe carving thing. :lol:

Totally true words about the hand feeling and the eye not necessarily seeing... I enjoy my pipes by feel just as much by smoke or a glimpse. There's a few I've carved that have some edges I can feel that I try not to obsess over.

8)

Man...summa you guys are bitches!

1) I love the shape (being a major Oom Paul fan),
2) know that he's about halfway done so of course it looks a liitle rough at this point
3) actually had the courtesy to read what he wrote before yappin' it up, and think Cherry is a fine choice,
4) don't think having bowl space below the drill point is critical, after all cobs always have this goin' on, and it does prevent suckin' up gurgle to gargle,
5) all in all...I'm thinking this is a fine effort and also look forward to seeing it again when done, or closer to completion.

:lol: Poor BH...

...my cobs sure as heck don't have any drop below the draft hole, I mudded most of them up to that point because I was sick of soggy, wet tobacco going where it wouldn't burn. :lol: Not to mention, sans the filter, I have never had shank/stem wetness or gurgle in a cob. Wide, open spaces in there. 8)

That said, I enjoy a pipe with a pretty low-and-center draft hole to the bowl. That's just me.

No worries....it happens a lot. My husband's name is Heath and you would be surprised how often we get a letter or phone call for Heather.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend working on this lately, hopefully tonight. Will post pics as I get a little further along.

Thanks for the support.

Scottie

S'okay, my co-worker is female, and her name is Sean. :lol: When I first met her, I had only talked with her via in-company email. My tactful first words when I met her... "Wait a second...you're not a dude! Or... are you?" I scratched my chin. She laughed. I knew then she was cool.

scotties22":3khlm4rm said:
Will post pics as I get a little further along.

Scottie
Looking forward to it. 8)

My bad re: gender nolo comprendo.

Actually I did notice one reply directed at a 'she' or 'her' but when I started writing I lapsed into the much abused universal BROTHER mode. Better expand this toward...SoB too (oops...that doesn't work all that well!). How bout just, SISTAH? I really couldn't use the Doris avatar as a guide as some of the guys here use female stuff for theirs too. Its complicated.

"SOB..." :lol:
facepalm.gif

That's a whole other classification for folks, forum and beyond. Very complicated. :p

8)

Let's just say that I don't mind being classified as "one of the boys", or Brothers in this case. Although I do love to bake, I am a tomboy and always have been. Sob really doesn't work, does it? Bitch of Briar totally works (that way I'm still a Bob)....cuts down on confusion, no?

An here I was hopin' I could just call you Doris! But a BoB you are...and well met. My wife is a total Tomboy, and it's worked better than excellent for us for over 30 years. I just wished she baked.

scotties22":ouz9unag said:
Bitch of Briar totally works (that way I'm still a Bob)....cuts down on confusion, no?
I like that, but it's really one of those things that sounds better when you say it rather than us. I made a similar mistake with a certain group of friends I play basketball with, if you catch my drift. :bball: (It turns out "midget" is a bad word.)
Can't wait to see the finished pipe, Scottie.

Well, I believe a little back story is in order. And just to make sure no one skips story time and goes right to the pictures I haven't taken them yet. I do promise to post them in just a few minutes. When I was growing up Time Life came out with a series on Ancient Egypt. My mother promptly went out and bought them all. We read them together, mostly as bed time stories. When I read the back story on the Ramses I knew I had to make one.

I have spent the better part of a week thinking about finishing this pipe. (My kids haven't had a good week and I haven't had a lot of time to get out to the shop. I did get to put in some time last night and finished it up just a bit ago.) Flaws abound and I'm sure the only way to make this a perfect pipe would be to set it on fire and roast a marshmallow over it.....or is it? I have decided to call this "the Relic" and have for better or worse not tried to correct or hide the flaws. If anything I have made quite a few of them noticable attributes on the pipe....have fun with that one.

This has been a great learning experience for me. And I promise the next pipe will be sanded to a mirror finish, stained, and the stem will be flawlessly fitted to the shank. Please do not pull your punches. Give me both barrels and your honest opinions. There is no negative comment you can make. It's all constructive critisism.

Pics coming soon.

Scottie

Like one of these?

http://www.downiepipes.com/shakelford.html

I don't think there's a pipe maker out there that's more fun than Downie. If you've never cruised through his site... check out the commissions and gallery for the monsters, dragons, aliens...oh, and he makes a killer Bulldog too!

BTW: I've always wanted to make a pipe that was intentionally a cluster $#@* with cracks all over and scuffs and a bent stem...but so artfully done that it was georgous. Kinda like 'intentional aging' or something. I've tried a couple of times and it turned out looking like crap. Your comments about your mummy pipe (or Ramses or whatever) got me thinking again. A mummy pipe would be a good format for that scuffed and aged approach...maybe wrapped in linens and tatters and grey. I think it would be totally amazing.

I also got a chuckle out of your comment about doin' marshmallows over your pipe as it burned. Not a good idea. lol

I love his pipes. The octopus is one of my favorites. Absolutely amazing for sure.

Okay, here it is. The extension is purpleheart wood and the stem in ebonite. It is 6.75 inches tall. The chamber is .75 in diameter and 1.875 deep. I finished it with a bit of carnuba.

"The Relic"

dscn2412.jpg

dscn2414.jpg

dscn2413.jpg

dscn2411.jpg

dscn2410.jpg

The stem/shank junctions still isn't perfect. The bowl is a bit asymetrical. The tobacco hole is about 1/8 inch too deep. It does hang extremely well