Well, you asked for it...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's coming along just fine. I think once you start to work the stem and shank it'll start looking more "complete." The gaps you're concerned about are meeting up a hell of a lot better than the first set of pictures, so that means you're definitely going in the right direction. :D

At this point, it's just about crossing the finish line. I've learned everyone has their own little way they carve pipes, and the point is really the outcome (unless you really get stuck and need some suggestions...) your work will speak for itself.

Also, Ancient Egypt always makes me thing of the Stargate program, but I never saw the Goa'uld or a Jaffa smoking a pipe. :p

8)

Um...Kyle...I think she said she was finished.

So...on a more happy note...tell me, how did you get that wrinkled/crackle effect on the ebonite? That's really interesting...would be perfect for a "Mummy" pipe.

I used a Dremel with a sanding drum on it. That is what I do my shaping with and thought it might be a nice touch. I actually think I might do the entire stem that way and then tripoli and buff it. I have been given a few ideas and have some things to mull over. I might not be finished after all. Jesse has given me a few ideas on the pipe makers forum.

BH, I think her open-ended thoughts on being "finished" were about as solid much as my open-ened "suggestions." :lol: It was just a test-run pipe before she really gets workin' on the briar...which I can't wait to see. I love it when people embark on projects.

Come on, as a fellow artist and craftsman, one of the biggest decisions is deciding whether or not a piece is done! 8)

Kyle Weiss":wflo0max said:
Come on, as a fellow artist and craftsman, one of the biggest decisions is deciding whether or not a piece is done! 8)
I might say that accepting when a piece is done is one of the biggest challenges of being an artist. The hardest choice being when to stop.

or +1

Blackhorse":x8k3g0z1 said:
Thank goodness that never happens to ME! :roll:
Oh, sure. SURE. :lol: As if you've never gotten up in the middle of the night because you thought you could forget about that *one little teensy, weensy flaw* in a knife--just to see if you could fix it. 8) You're a real artist and you know it.

No...I don't do that. It's just knowing that I had a good idea but deviated from that during when I was working on it...went a different direction...or kept 'adjusting' something too long. Ultimately I often end up knowing that if I had stopped at a certain point, it would have turned out a lot better...but I didn't.

Got it. So you skip the stopping point altogether, but follow same concept. :lol: I knew you were a real craftsman. 8)