what are some must try blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Going through my cellar and making a wishlist and wondering what are some must try tobaccos? I mostly smoke English, Balkans, and va/per but open to everything but aros.

With such an open-ended question as you've given be ready for a deluge of "must try" blends/mixtures so I'll give a few that I ALWAYS have on hand to smoke. :twisted:

As far as a true Balkan, one which is not talked about much here but in my 40 + years of smoking Balakans I have to say is one of the BEST available today is Arango's Balkan Supreme. a nicely priced bulk that is very reminiscent of the old definition of a Balkan, BS 759.
On the English/Balkan style I can recommend several of the "new" Dunhill blends wholeheartedly such as their London Blend, Durbar, Standard Mixture and of course My Mixture 965.
Though I'm not much of a VaPer smoker, two come to mind as being the definers of this style as considered by folks who are aficionados of this style, Escudo and Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.
There are and you will get recommendations of many others but these are blend/mixtures I have and still do smoke !! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

The list beneath your avatar suggests you've already tried them. Speaking for myself, I go into a panic when I run out of McClelland's bulk 2000 Fragrant, or whatever it's called--just in case you haven't tried it. Ditto for LBF.

Oh boy you're going to get a load of suggestions. I think everyone should try a non latakia Turkish blend. Like c&d's honor blend or John Patton's oriental dusk. A niche formula but one that can be very tasty. You'll never know until you try one.

My all-new 2015 Christmas blend - only to be mailed out those who are deemed deserving worthy.   :twisted:

Tequila and shot of Nyquil added to a mixture of Paladin, Captain Black Cherry, and Mixture #79 - along with a little ground-up Swisher Sweet for that Fine Cigar Leaf 'something special'...  :shock:

I knew I would probably get a huge list and I know I have tried and love many that would be on that list such as Escudo, Dunhill dnr, 965, and others. Just wanting to see if someone posts something I have not tried. The thought of a non lat Turkish blend sounds intriguing.

A few which spring to mind...

HU Sunset
HU Haymaker
McClelland Dark Navy Flake
McClelland Christmas Cheer
McCranies Red Flake

MisterE":mb7979uj said:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers
I am by no means a new pipe smoker, but will look over it. I have been smoking a pipe since 1998 and just wanted to know what's everyone's must try blends. Basically a bucket list of tobaccos. Stuff that stands above the average blend.

At the moment (!) if I could only smoke 1 blend for the rest of my life (gosh that was painful to say), it would probably be Sammy G's St James Flake, a cracking blend of fine Vas and a little added Per. Splendid.

Stick":w7slgcr0 said:
At the moment (!) if I could only smoke 1 blend for the rest of my life (gosh that was painful to say), it would probably be Sammy G's St James Flake, a cracking blend of fine Vas and a little added Per.  Splendid.
I have a tin but not tried it yet. Looking forward to it though when I get around to it.

tarheel7734":7fxk4lu4 said:
The thought of a non lat Turkish blend sounds intriguing.
Ah. Embarcadero. Flakes of red Virginia and Izmir.

tarheel7734":5hz5t86n said:
I knew I would probably get a huge list and I know I have tried and love many that would be on that list such as Escudo, Dunhill dnr, 965, and others. Just wanting to see if someone posts something I have not tried. The thought of a non lat Turkish blend sounds intriguing.
Might give GLP's Embarcadero a try!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

If you haven't already tried any of the Stokkebye blends, Luxury Twist (pure 'ginny flake) and Bull's Eye ('ginny, Perique, and a core of Cav) are a must have. And they are very reasonably priced. Plus they come at the perfect moisture level.

:D 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":x4tcd1dh said:
If you haven't already tried any of the Stokkebye blends, Luxury Twist (pure 'ginny flake) and Bull's Eye ('ginny, Perique, and a core of Cav) are a must have. And they are very reasonably priced. Plus they come at the perfect moisture level.

:D 

Cheers,

RR
I have a small jar of lux bulleyes flake.

tarheel7734":bbmqufnk said:
MisterE":bbmqufnk said:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers
I am by no means a new pipe smoker, but will look over it. I have been smoking a pipe since 1998 and just wanted to know what's everyone's must try blends. Basically a bucket list of tobaccos. Stuff that stands above the average blend.
I just included the link because there are tons of tobaccos of every kind listed there. Hell, there are tons on there I've never had the pleasure of trying myself. There oughta be a Top 5 or Top 10 list somewhere here in the archives if you're willing to search around for it.

Rob_In_MO":oqdr9vqg said:
My all-new 2015 Christmas blend - only to be mailed out those who are deemed deserving worthy.   :twisted:

You mean MY 2015 Xmas blend?

Tequila and shot of Nyquil added to a mixture of Paladin, Captain Black Cherry, and Mixture #79 - along with a little ground-up Swisher Sweet for that Fine Cigar Leaf 'something special'...  :shock:

I will add a few since you enjoy latakia. Both of these are great & I think they are must tries on the genre..

Peretti Tashkent & Royal Blend.

If you enjoy Virginia/Burleys, in this case Dark Fired - Solani Silver Flake

McClelland #2015. I love the way it tastes freshly blended, and I love how it matures as it ages. I have some that is a month old, 3 years old, and 5 years old. They're all fabulous and greatly different. And I still feel Beck's 'Ol Limey Bastard is a great, old school English (despite the horrible moniker).