What are you listening to?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blues day. Lightnin' Hopkins, BB King and Bobby Bland, Ella Fitzgerald, Snooky Pryor, etc...

Listening to Wilco's newest album, "Shmilco". The whole album is available on Youtube to listen to.
I'm definitely digging it. If you are a Wilco fan be sure to check it out.

"The very best of Peter, Paul, and Mary ".

Just got this CD in and it has all the tunes I grew up with and more. Great stuff! I regret not seeing them live back in the day.

8)

Cheers,

RR

The Essential Kingston Trio.

2 CD set, 40 songs. Many of them live. All of their best, and the ones you want to sing along to.

I grew up with the Kingston Trio. Having this collection is fantastic, and the re-masters are well done and clean.

Cheers,

RR

Have not slept well for few days. Now listening to The Sounds of Mother Nature. Amazing how the sound of rain in a forest can be relaxing.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Difficulty falling asleep, so listening to my Rain Rain app.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

My classic Rock playlist from the 60's and early 70's on Spotify Premium.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Recently turned on to Randy Newman's "Good Old Boys". Been enjoying it these past few days.

He certainly was a lightning rod back in the day of non-pc topics. And his pop hit "Short People" does not do him justice. Remember that back in the day but dismissed it back then as a throwaway pop single.

This album certainly shows his acumen as a composer and lyricist. Also enjoy his style, which I can only relate to ragtime in the Scott Joplin tradition. Very talented individual, and I'm suitably impressed!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Buncha new stuff just in-

"The Essential Johnny Cash". 2 CD set. Great stuff.

High Kings - "Grace and Glory". Brand new release for them. They're a very talented traditional Irish vocal group I've been following for a few years. And they excel in their vocal harmonies and arrangements. I've seen them live and they are as real and tight as they are on their recordings. Thrilling, actually!

However, they seem to delve into pop tunes from time to time. This is not their strength afaic. As well as they interpret these selections their strength lies in trad Irish arrangements. JMO.

I've a couple more to list, but supper and a pipe awaits............

Cheers,

RR

In Memory of my Dad, Rest In Peace:

Enoch Light and The Light Brigade full album, Provocative Percussion

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

In Memory of my Dad, Rest In Peace:

Enoch Light and The Light Brigade full album, Provocative Percussion Volume 2.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

"Greatest Military Marches - The Very Best Of John Phillip Sousa". Performed by The United States Marine Band.

Might seem a bit odd, but I've always loved marches. Grew up playing them in school bands starting in the 4th grade. Did the marching band thing too many times. First playing tenor sax, then Sousaphone for most of the school years!

Cheers,

RR

Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S. on the turntable.

I ordered up a new belt. Decided the Audio Technica AT-95e was probably nearing a stylus replacement. It's been several years since this table replaced the DUAL's. I have a bunch of stereohedron styli for Stanton 681 and Pickering XV-15 cartridges, so I opted to change out the cartridge. The Stanton 681 introduced a low-level hum. So I switched to the Pickering. The AT had seemed to be a pleasant cartridge, and it is. But this table really came alive with this old Pickering. There is a reason that these were the standard of radio station turntables for many years.

My oldest friend Jeff recently burned me some blues CDs. Great stuff - old Paul Butterfield and 2 discs of Chicago Blues featuring many classic old blues artists. Great stuff!

Cheers,

RR