What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspired by the incredible first season on Prime, I read all twelve issues of The Boys. I am a Once and Future Comic King, only giving it up because of cost and room. I have since found a cheaper way to read a multitude of comics (public library, not the torrential high seas) and have dived in.

I have never read anything like this. Better than the Watchmen or Squadron Supreme, achieving the heights of Dark Knight by Moore and DMZ.

Bottom line premise: Just because you have supreme powers doesn't mean you can automiatically use them effectively. Thus you must be watched and, if necessary, bloodied.

Any other comic heads here?

81WUZaaOT2L._AC_UY218_QL90_.jpg

Meh.....

Cheers,

RR

I'm currently finishing up...
Churchianity vs Christianity by Metropolitan Anthony Bloom.

A legend of British rock climbing Johnny Dawes broke into the UK climbing scene in the mid 80s and made a huge impact, his trade mark being to climb the lines that others considered impossible. He captured my imagination as a teenager, partly because of his spiritual approach to his climbing. He really engaged with the rock rather than just seeing it as a test piece.

Recommended if you’re into your climbing and understand the British grading system.

91DJiafbUpL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Great book.

I finally realized that the last King novel I read (Finders Keepers) is book #2 in a trilogy. The above is the final one.

Now reading the first installment - Mr. Mercedes.

Cheers,

RR

81tSudVE0uL._AC_UY218_.jpg

This was gifted to me by my old UK mate when he visited recently. It's a very critical look at us yanks from a UK perspective. The author is a BBC journalist and a North America Editor who has been in the US for some time and has had direct access to many events and politicians. His critique of our strongly held beliefs and way of life may raise some ire and eyebrows.

That said he's first and foremost a journalist. And he's in the biz of selling copy. This book will certainly do that. And raise the BP of many red-blooded Americans.

This is not intended to be a political football and I will entertain no responses as such. If you choose to read this do so at your own peril. It's a very op-ed view of our basic cultures.

:!:

Cheers,

RR

I started listening to this audiobook again today for the third time. It’s a good listen if you like Taoism and Winnie the Pooh.

eggman":z1z7z8gq said:
Brewdude":z1z7z8gq said:
71KzYSsNilL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Very weird. But very engaging.

Cheers,

RR
You’re right very weird. I tried to read and listen to it.
Yes I saw where it was one that you gave up on. Some of King's works are like that. I've struggled with a few myself.

Dunno what this one held for me or why I stuck with it. Frankly I was ready to chuck it early on. Yet something pushed me to persist and I'm glad I did.

No I can't say that I understand it completely. That seems to be part and parcel of what King does. Apparently his mind works on different levels than that of folks like me with a simple way of looking at things. Basically I've come to accept he paints a different landscape which one has to try and align with. Or something.

I won't claim I understand the Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Too ethereal. Or whacked. Whatever. Equally, once I divorce myself from logical thinking I can kind of see the world that King paints. Or a slight glimpse anyways.....

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":q5h2x2lt said:
eggman":q5h2x2lt said:
Brewdude":q5h2x2lt said:
71KzYSsNilL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Very weird. But very engaging.

Cheers,

RR
You’re right very weird. I tried to read and listen to it.
Yes I saw where it was one that you gave up on. Some of King's works are like that. I've struggled with a few myself.

Dunno what this one held for me or why I stuck with it. Frankly I was ready to chuck it early on. Yet something pushed me to persist and I'm glad I did.

No I can't say that I understand it completely. That seems to be part and parcel of what King does. Apparently his mind works on different levels than that of folks like me with a simple way of looking at things. Basically I've come to accept he paints a different landscape which one has to try and align with. Or something.

I won't claim I understand the Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Too ethereal. Or whacked. Whatever. Equally, once I divorce myself from logical thinking I can kind of see the world that King paints. Or a slight glimpse anyways.....

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for that description of King and his writing. I guess I didn’t look at it that way. Maybe I’ll pick it again this fall and give it another chance with a different frame of mind.

The first and only King book I have finished was The dark Half. I thought it was a good book. I’ve tried to read The Shining a couple times. The way he describes everything in the book gets my imagination running wild and creeps me out and I have to put it down.

Brewdude":simwrphr said:
91FenrCsVxL._AC_UY218_.jpg

First book in the trilogy. Now the series is complete. Great book.

Cheers,

RR
I enjoyed the trilogy. King co-produces a current TV series entitled Mr. Mercedes which just started it's third season. Quite like it. The first 2 seasons largely followed the trilogy until toward the end of season 2.

eggman":l54rtmz5 said:
I’ve tried to read The Shining a couple times. The way he describes everything in the book gets my imagination running wild and creeps me out and I have to put it down.
Yes, The Shining is one of the creepier ones. I saw the movie back when it came out and have it on DVD. Nickelson is fantastic in it. But the book is definitely creepier. Including and especially the hedge animals!

Cheers,

RR