What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71HvRZUvE2L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

This is Bryson's latest release and like all his other tomes does not disappoint.

The subject matter is quite dense with highly technical medical terms and concepts but once again Bryson has succeeded in distilling it to a level that the novice can understand. And refreshingly, there is that totally unique sense of humor he brings to the table.

Highly recommended if you're a Bill Bryson fan.

Cheers,

RR

71To+a8I3YL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Saw the old B&W movie with Charles Laughton first and enjoyed that. However, I have to say that the book didn't live up to expectations.

And I had to turn back in a book from the library because of the due date. Another King novel entitled "The Stand" which I was engrossed with and finished about half of the 1000+ pages. But I have a second request for it in so will finish it in due course. So far it's been addictive.

Cheers,

RR

81Ot3GUSecL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I've been a huge EJ fan from the Yellow Brick road days. Just saw the Rocketman movie and now have read his autobiography. Some of these huge talents certainly have led, uh..... interesting lives!

Cheers,

RR

Now that I'm retired a reading of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People seems a bit moot. How to be more retired is interesting though.

91LR8v0qLzL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Finally finished this lengthy volume, as the first time around I had to return it to the library after about halfway. Put in another request for it and picked up where I left off and then binge read it to the end.

Pretty impressive tale although it seems a bit convoluted at first. Many players and individual stories going on and on that don't seem to intersect until a certain point. Yet this seems to be one of King's strong points in certain of his works. It takes careful reading and attention to detail to be able to put it all together. And I have a rather short attention span....

I freely admit that sometimes this becomes tedious for me and often I start to fade and lose focus. Sometimes I have to go back and start over from a previous chapter or two. But slow and steady wins the race they say.

In any case this is one of King's finest IMO. And it's apparently the complete and unabridged version from what was the original release, which I never read. All I can say is that the journey was well worth it!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3co9fnqg said:
81nZt+t7dBL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Saw the movie many times but never read the book. Finally got a round tuit.

Cheers,

RR
My goodness, someone wrote a book about my x-wife. I’m definitely not going to read that book. Hi hi hi

I came into an older copy of J.M. Barrie's "My Lady Nicotine" late last year. Finally started reading it last night. Interesting read!!! Certainly makes one wish they had some "Arcadia Mixture!" :cheers: FTRPLT

91-Nz-RFI5L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Just finished this detailed and captivating true account of the experiences of the RAF crews in WW II -

"The courage and sacrifice of Bomber Command"

Stick will find this book especially interesting I believe.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":fjxka62j said:
Stick will find this book especially interesting I believe.
...another one to add to my next Amazon order. Thanks, Rande.

I concur with Brewdude on the new Bill Bryson, which I also just finished reading. A couple of pages made me squeamish when he related some incredible stories of pre-anesthesia procedures. Not exactly suitable for dinner table conversation! But overall an amazing book.

By the way, in several of Bryson's earlier books he talks about enjoying a pipe before going to bed. I wonder if he still smokes a pipe?

Brunello":alyy4pdq said:
I concur with Brewdude on the new Bill Bryson, which I also just finished reading. A couple of pages made me squeamish when he related some incredible stories of pre-anesthesia procedures. Not exactly suitable for dinner table conversation! But overall an amazing book.

By the way, in several of Bryson's earlier books he talks about enjoying a pipe before going to bed. I wonder if he still smokes a pipe?
I don't think so. Seem to recall that I read somewhere he gave it up.

Cheers,

RR