What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51hbIskpF3L._AC_US218_.jpg

Forgot to mention this one I read the other week.

"A Christmas Story" by Jean Sheppard is one of my most favourite books of all time, but for some reason I never read this one which supposedly was his prequel to the aforementioned.

Great book. Thoroughly enjoyable and recommended if this kind of writing is your fancy.

Need to get back and re-read "A Christmas Story". It's been many years.

Cheers,

RR

I have the new Anne/Stan Rice book on the way. Ramses the Damned: The Passion of Cleopatra. So I re-read - Ramses the Damned: The Mummy.

And until it arrives, I am re-reading Anne Rice's - Servant of the Bones.

I want to re-read her Witch series. Yes, I am a fan of Anne Rice.

51XSGncxZzL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just now reading "Last Call - The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" by one Daniel Okrent.

This is arguably the definitive and most comprehensive account of the events which led up to the enactment of the 18th amendment. And while I was familiar with some of the accounts, this book spells it out in exacting detail!

Very illuminating to see how contemporary issues of that era such as women's suffrage, the vote for blacks, and much more played into the hands of the drys.

Now only part of the way through, and it's a very big book at some 400+ pages in a large hard cover format. And admittedly, some of the text is dense with details - and the details have details. So a bit hard to follow at times for me. But I get the general idea, which is the main thing.  

In any case, if one wanted to know about this misguided period in US history this is the one to read!

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

Just finished this fascinating account-

410e829u5JL._AC_US218_.jpg

I've always been intrigued by this story, and have seen the flick as well as read various other accounts. But this is the quintessential document and should be read by anyone seeking the complete story, with myriad and full disclosures of all who were involved with Joseph Merrick, a.k.a. the Elephant Man.

This clearly serves to fill in all the details that were omitted in any other account. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

I'm listening to Greek myths retold by Stephen Fry read by the great man himself. Completely enthralling.

I've been in Texas this whole week, visiting my Father and playing golf. Now enjoying some McLelland Beacon in the Cayuga Oiled Briar.

Drinking 43 year old Crown Royal neat.

Splendid!

Just re-read this for a second time-

51o1c9A3vUL._AC_US218_.jpg

A very comprehensive account of the Islay distilleries, complete with many detailed chapters of the nature and accounts of the Illeachs (native residents) who reside there.

The author Andrew Jefford is well spoken and has obviously done his homework. I say this due to having visited Islay in '01 for the Whisky Festival over the course of a full week, where I was fortunate to tour all of the distilleries on a very personal basis.

Jefford's accounts are spot on, and his narrative is engaging and informative. In short, if one is an Islay aficionado this is a must read.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

In the Distance by Hernan Diaz, a bit of a different take on the American West than most novels exploring the west

The Knot of Vipers, Francois Mauriac

Pettiness and bitterness can have permanent consequences, impoverishing anyone one who comes I to contact with it.

A Coffin for Dimitrios (The Mask of Dimitrios, in Britain), only because it's recommended...by everyone, apparently. Classic and first(?) of the great spy thrillers. Treachery, deceit, betrayal, intrique, murder, all those good things as seen through the eyes of a professor turned mystery novelist. Dimitrios is a bad, bad guy. Never read it, though I've read most classics.

Reading Daniel Silva's most recent entry into the Gabriel Allon series, House of Spies. I've really enjoyed this series, and this genre in general.

Sent from Topic'it App

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man- John Perkins

Describing his life in the Corporatocracy.

511PwQ5BPKL._AC_US218_.jpg

Finally got a round tuit on this classic.

Very chilling and comprehensive account of the Clutter murders. Made one seem like they were there at the events.

:shock:

Cheers?

RR

My grandfather was Clutter's business partner. The FBI walked my mom to school for two weeks; they had no idea what the motive was and so took all of the necessary precautions.

Cerfer":rxqon4e3 said:
My grandfather was Clutter's business partner. The FBI walked my mom to school for two weeks; they had no idea what the motive was and so took all of the necessary precautions.
Damn! I had no idea Dutton.

:shock:

Cheers, not!

RR

51ZBydTfK3L._AC_US218_.jpg

"The Life and Times of Little Richard: The Quasar of Rock."

Just finished this amazing account.

For anyone who is interested in the history of R&R this is a must read. Little Richard shaped and defined the style that many copied and cashed in on from the 50's onward. A true original.

I caught his act once, back in the early 70's. The venue was Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI on the lakefront (still is). His stage was perhaps 6' off the ground. Kind of a cheesy setup, not at all like the major outdoor concerts of this day and age.

Little Richard came out in a green sequinned suit with a waist jacket. No shirt on underneath. Very reflective in the stage lights. And he was electric in his delivery, both in music and stage patter.

At one point, he bade the audience to "come up on the stage and touch me, since I love for my fans to reach out and touch me".

And then, he reached out his arms "Christ-style (on the Cross)", and a multitude of the audience got up on the stage (being 6' this was no small achievement), and proceeded to engulf him. At which point the myriad bouncers and security threw them off the stage in less than a humane manner! And they kept coming!!!

In any case, Little Richard provoked an animal response from the audience. Which was, of course, his intention. And now, this many years later, and reading this autobiography, I finally understand why.

Back then, I was a neophyte more or less. And as such didn't fully grasp the influence of the pioneers such as Little Richard. This book provides an unique insight into into the true "King of R&R".

Feel free to disagree with me.

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR

Finished Agatha Christie's "The Mysterious Affair at Styles," as well as Alan Moore's 12 part Graphic Novel "Providence." Just picked Frank Herbert's "Dune" back up, less than 1/2 way through. I have also been reading the complete HP Lovecraft beginning with "The Alchemist" & "At The Mountains of Madness." My current non fiction read is Michael Wallis's "The Best Land Under Heaven." Lots to read, Phew....