What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
511Zr6q05ZL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just re-read this after too many years. And it was just as gripping as the first time around!

Cheers,

RR

While still reading through Van Gogh. The Life, I started The Drawing of The Three, the 2nd volume of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I also am reading On Writing. A Memoir of the Craft also by King.

Thoroughly enjoyed Salt A World History by Mark Kurlansky. A rivetting read about salt and it's many uses.

Also just started re reading Tobacco by Iain Gately which was gifted to me in the cross Pacific bombing a while back. Great history of our favourite leaf and its consumption which I reccomend to all tobacco lovers out there.

Cheers

Tim

Finally re-read this classic after some 40 yrs or so-

51LitoUcEaL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just as bizarre and oddly interesting as the first time. Seems like a stream of consciousness more than a factual account.  Hard to follow at times, but whatever it is, it works!

Cheers,

RR

Currently reading, or more like finally got around to reading "The Corrections" by John Franzen. Excellent satire.

About half-way through "The Night Manager" by John le Carre. Always enjoyed his books, especially the George Smiley series. The book is no different, detailed, depth and complex.

Richard Burley":1vhb4y8x said:
Brewdude":1vhb4y8x said:
61eGuCnxZrL._AC_US218_.jpg

Shackleton's amazing account of his legendary antarctic expedition. Highly recommended.
+1. If you like Antarctic exploration (when are you leaving?  :lol: ), Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth is almost mandatory reading. Scary place.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Place-Earth-Amundsens-Exploration/dp/0375754741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536073004&sr=1-1&keywords=the+last+place+on+earth
A remarkable story indeed. I've read Alfred Lansing's account several times now. That he didn't lose one man and the chaps eagerly followed and respected him is testament to his leadership. His journey from Elephant Island to South G has to be one of the most remarkable pieces of sailing, navigation and endurance, ever.

Richard Burley":46r5f4ah said:
If you like Antarctic exploration (when are you leaving?  :lol: ), Roland Huntford's The Last Place on Earth is almost mandatory reading. Scary place.
Just checked and my library system does not carry it. May need to get a paperback in from Amazon. Sounds like I'd like it.

Stick":46r5f4ah said:
A remarkable story indeed. I've read Alfred Lansing's account several times now. That he didn't lose one man and the chaps eagerly followed and respected him is testament to his leadership. His journey from Elephant Island to South G has to be one of the most remarkable pieces of sailing, navigation and endurance, ever.
My library had Lansing's account so just placed a request for this. Great to get another perspective. Thanks for the prompt mate!

Cheers,

RR

41gPZJFfzTL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just finished this and have to say if it's not already considered the quintessential account of this slice of history it ought to be. Gripping and graphic.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":vbu4opfa said:
61eGuCnxZrL._AC_US218_.jpg

Shackleton's amazing account of his legendary antarctic expedition. Highly recommended.

8)

Cheers,

RR
I recently purchased a few books about polar expeditions.  Can't wait to start them. :D

Brewdude said:
41gPZJFfzTL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just finished this and have to say if it's not already considered the quintessential account of this slice of history it ought to be. Gripping and graphic.

Cheers,

RR

Stephen Ambrose is one of my preferred authors for all things Op Overlord and the Europe offensive.  If you've not read it already Rande, check out his book Pegasus Bridge.  Another remarkable story.  I was there a few weeks ago with the family having first visited in '84 whilst the original bridge was still in place across the canal.  I met with Arlette Gondree again, the daughter of the proprietor of the Café Gondree, the first house to be liberated on D Day.  She was 5 on the evening of the operation and remembers it well.  She's 80+ now but still sparking on all 4 and has a glamorous Hollywood look about her.  A truly remarkable lady who has much time for members of the military both serving and retired.

Stick":yc9t7674 said:
Stephen Ambrose is one of my preferred authors for all things Op Overlord and the Europe offensive.  If you've not read it already Rande, check out his book Pegasus Bridge.  Another remarkable story.
I will indeed check this account out. Thanks for the prompt mate.

Cheers,

RR

5172dBvaxAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":quwflxxo said:
5172dBvaxAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR
I actually bought this one. :D