What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started 1Q84.

Also, the last movie I saw in the theater was the second Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie. The last move I saw before that was the first one...

I just finished Huxley's "Brave New World," starting up on Temple Grandin's "The Way I See It," book on ASD. Kind of a subject switch. :lol:

I LOVE READING AGAIN!!! Bless these astigmatism-correcting contacts.

8)

'salem's Lot. Never saw the movie, though I've been exposed to enough King. Got here by way of the Gunslinger novels...they introduced one of the characters, so figured I'd detour before finishing the series.

Nick Mamatas' Bullettime--so far, so great. I highly recommend it to those interested in experimental fiction, school shootings, and recreational cough syrup ingestion!

deepbass9":kvkdgrmq said:
'salem's Lot. Never saw the movie, though I've been exposed to enough King. Got here by way of the Gunslinger novels...they introduced one of the characters, so figured I'd detour before finishing the series.
I really liked that one! My favorite King novels are those he seemingly wrote coked out in a trailer--the Gunslinger series opens with what is maybe my favorite novel of his, but jumped the shark for me at Wolves of the Calla ('Salem's Lot character notwithstanding, sadly) and I've yet to make time for the last few books.

Gathering Evidence by Thomas Bernhard. I love this guy, he only writes about stuff that matters, and does it in the most cynical, depressing & rambly way imaginable. :D

Fight'n Hampsters":b838ques said:
Great Gatsby. Never was assigned it in high school or college...that I remember :oops:
Great read, one of my favorites. I too never read it in high school or college. I am sure I would not have appreciated it as much back them anyways.

50 Shades of Grey.......and it was dissapointing. Horribly written and the story line was crazy slow. The only reason I read it was because I kept hearing how good it was. Man, those women need to have their heads checked. I wish I hadn't felt the need.

Now, back to my normal reading....JD Robb and Janet Evanovich. Chick reading, totally, I know. I love a good blood and guts movie, but I love love love to read Chick books.(NOT romance novels) :D

Currently reading "Kydd" by Julian Stockwin, a novel about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. I thought you guys might appreciate this passage-

"Kydd looked at his friend, touched by his thought. He fiddled in his waistcoat. "And I have something f'r you," he said, bringing out a screw of paper, which he handed over.

Carefully Renzi undid the paper. Inside was a good six ounces of small dark whorls, thin disks of the most fragrant tobacco he had ever encountered. "My friend, this is magnificent!"

Kydd was well pleased at the unfeigned delight. He had learned how to make a prick of tobacco from one of the gunner's mates with whom he had shared a watch in one of the hanging magazines. A wad of good strong tobacco leaves was spread on flannel. Sprinkled with rum, it was rolled up and tied to a deckhead cleat with spun yarn, rotated tightly along its length and left for a week or so. The resulting hard plug was then cut with a razor-sharp knife into thin disks of shag.

Appreciatively, Renzi drew out his clay pipe and rubbed himself a fill. Soon a powerful fragrance was on the wind and Renzi settled back against the carronade slide with a comfortable sigh."

Just finished "Faust" by Goethe. Very entertaining read. I believe Virgil's "Aeneid" is up next.

DrT999":reh4yqif said:
Ocelot55":reh4yqif said:
Just finished "Faust" by Goethe.
Stay away from his 'Sorrows of Young Werther'!
:D The only book ever I have spontaneously punched while reading. That was about 10 years ago though, perhaps now I could find it endearing.

beetlejazz":bbkuz59o said:
DrT999":bbkuz59o said:
Ocelot55":bbkuz59o said:
Just finished "Faust" by Goethe.
Stay away from his 'Sorrows of Young Werther'!
:D The only book ever I have spontaneously punched while reading. That was about 10 years ago though, perhaps now I could find it endearing.
:lol: I rather cheered the ending, my self :face:

Taking Harlock's lead and cracking open Jim Thompson's "The Killer Inside Me."

I love the Great Gatsby. Maybe my favorite American classic...maybe.
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." God, Fitzgerald was good.

Dave -

I just started 1Q84 (audiobook, unabridged). Not too far into yet, but so far it's definitely got my attention. Let me know what you think!

Reading the first book in Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli's graphic novel DMZ. So far it's quite good. Excellent illustrations, good plot, memorable characters. I might be hooked in.

Just started Ken Follett's Fall of Giants.

idbowman":t5b9u69s said:
Dave -

I just started 1Q84 (audiobook, unabridged). Not too far into yet, but so far it's definitely got my attention. Let me know what you think!
Not my favorite. I had a hard time staying interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.