What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just about finished with Shelby Foote's Trilogy on the American Civil War.

Finished Of Mice & Men, Started The Wayward Bus. I love Steinbecks knowledge and use of of human psychology and interaction in his stories. He really brings out the humanity, the real person, flawed & raw, just like we really are, under all our layers of protection.

I've been reading The Tin Drum by Günter Grass for the past week and a half and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. (I'm reading it in English, couldn't find a bilingual version :evil: ) It's the fictional autobiography of a man-child who stunted his growth at three feet at age three, has a neurotic obsession with toy drums, turning words and things he sees and feels into drumbeats growing up in the city of Danzig before, during, and after WWII, narrating his life from his grandmother's childhood to the day of his writing in a mental institution.

Extremely weird, wordy, and wonderful. Draws me in for hours at a time.

I've seen the movie years ago,believe it was in German.Quite hilarious
in a strange way.I used to go to German language movies 50 years ago,
never anything controversial in the least was permitted.I asked why no
war movies and the German-Americans told me they were too sensitive
a subject in the early sixties.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":zhymyauq said:
I've seen the movie years ago,believe it was in German.Quite hilarious
in a strange way.I used to go to German language movies 50 years ago,
never anything controversial in the least was permitted.I asked why no
war movies and the German-Americans told me they were too sensitive
a subject in the early sixties.

Winslow :sunny:
I guess it's not as entertaining to watch a movie when you know you lose in the end :lol!:

The Lions of Iwo Jima by Haynes and Warren. Fascinating story of Combat Team 28 USMC and their fight to take Mount Suribachi.

Just started Rant by Chuck Palaniuk.

So far so good...

Also starting The Catcher in the Rye. Can't believe I've never read it.

Mostly working through school texts at the moment, but I'm reading:

Republic - Plato
Better Than Sex: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream: Hunter S. Thompson
...and a whole whack of books on the legal system, political theory, history, etc.

Recently finished:

Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80's - Hunter S. Thompson
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Just finished The Candlemass Road by George MacDonald Fraser (is that name Scots enough?) about to start on Our Man in Havana By Graham Greene ... so many books, so little time!

Irene Adler":eas3nfcw said:
All in the Timing: Fourteen Plays by David Ives.
Great collection of short plays! My little sister played the waitress in "The Philadelphia" for her drama class, and I picked up a copy after I saw it.

Right now I'm reading "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly P. Hall. Fascinating stuff my friends.

Recently I have read "The Shack" by William P. Young - Incredible fiction!

"Reality The Hope of Glory" by Arthur Katz - Awesome!

I am currently reading "The Myth Of A Christian Religion (Losing Your Religion For The Beauty Of A Revolution)" by Gregory A. Boyd - Just and incredible journey into the true deciplship of following Christ!

Common Sense- Thomas Paine
The Federalist Papers
and
John Adams- David McCullough

I am currently on Joe Hills "Heart Shaped Box". He is Steven Kings son. Pretty creepy book. Good for winter time reading.

The Devils Company by David Liss; historical thriller. Have read 4 of his other works; highly recommended.

Recently finished:

Readings in St. John's Gospel; Temple

Currently:

The Days of Henry Thoreau; Harding
Laura Warholic, or the Sexual Intellectual; Theroux
The Complete Works; Montaigne

Just starting "Pygmy" by Chuck Palahuniuk, just finished "the Man Game" by Lee Henderson. The man game is a great fictional look at 1870's Vancouver and the invention of a physical fight dance performed by the lower class to take their cares away from the harsh reality of logging.

I am on the third of the five Christmas books by Charles Dickens. I always read them this time of year except this year I am reading them to my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.