What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of Watch City SEPC McClouxgaroux 2023 in a 1920s-30s Grant’s Pipe Shop Corinthian Deluxe 409 (made by Comoy’s) smooth brown medium bend bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
View attachment 16400
This pipe is the spitting image of a BC I owned in my 20's. Only my stem was a pearlized cafe au lait acrylic. Used it to death.

Greetings BoBs. Busy packing today as tomorrow we, the wife and our granddaughter, fly to NYC. Our 9th grader is on Spring break and wished to see a Broadway play. Her parents can't afford such a trip, but her GPs can. So off we go tomorrow on silver wings. First smoke today in my Brigham 209 Apple with HH Virginia. Plan on a visit to Dunhill, not for pipes, but to leave my gold Rollagas lighter for service - hope they can fix it. I got it at Diebel's for cost in 1974. I will be off line for a week, but hope to have a story about Davidoff"s
20240308_175729_compress1.jpg
when I return.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm smoking Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake in a 1938 smooth straight brown patent Dunhill R 115 bowling ball apple with a tapered cumberland stem. Watching an episode of Bat Masterson. Had to laugh because one character on this show was smoking a Kaywoodie. More often than not, you see people smoking Petersons in old westerns. And they always have a p-lip, lol.
Dunhill_1938_bowling-Left.jpg

Just finished smoking Wilke “Straight Virginia” in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Dublin Sterling Canadian 264 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. This is Back Bay with no perique. John Brandt made it for me upon my request.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling264 .jpg

Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and passing the half way mark of this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Slept a little, but I'm awake and a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City Original Crumb Cut in a 1950s-60s straight smooth brown Bertram 07 octagonal paneled billiard with a square shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. It's raining, so I let Daisy the Feral Princess and Tomato the Brave in the house. Sam the Scamp was hiding under the deck, but he came out to eat.
Bertram_07 _panel_billiard.jpg

Good Morning!
Yesterday was a strange day! Our next door neighbor likes to do everything without checking zoning and applying for permits. The latest example is renting out a shed to a couple and their dog! I spent some time on the phone with town over this, we live over a proctected aquifer and the exhaust next to the door is dangerous.

Yesterday I smoked mainly Westminster and Abingdon in an assortment of MM Apple Diplomats and Rob Roys. This morning I'm starting out with GLP Westminster in my oldest MM Apple Diplomat and deciding which k-cup to make, I need to roast coffee!

You're very welcome. You may find that your GW is different than what we made because at some point, the red Virginia was lessened, and some bright Virginia was added to the mix. That was the major difference between the 1950s version I had, and the 1970s production. Well, that and the fact that the cut had become ribbon instead of chunky.

The year GW was discontinued was the year I started smoking a pipe. I was thirteen years old, and Eckerd Drugs store had a can of it for $2.95. I couldn't afford it, and every time I went into the store, I dismally stared at the can I really wanted, but couldn't have. Sometime in either January or February of 1975, I saw that the can was gone. I felt badly about it. It took me many years to try the versions I previously mentioned, and I was glad I didn't buy it when I was a kid. I was too young to appeciate burley in the 1970s, with the exception of Amphora Original.

WC Deluxe Crumb Cut is an excellent blend. I have several pounds of it.
1000003367.jpg

Almost half way through this bowl of year 2022 Watch City Blue Ridge Special in a straight smooth ebony post-WW2 LHS Sterncrest 91 bulldog with a sterling silver band, a diamond shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Watching The Adventures of Superman on H&I. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd pull out the uncut versions. The other reason I haven't is because Sam the Scamp is snoozn' by my side, and I didn't want to disturb him.
LHS_Sterncrest 91_bulldog.jpg