What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked a bowl of Sutliff Pipe Force Episode 1 in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. I was wearing my Edward G. Robinson t-shirt when m'lady and I were grocery shopping. The last store we went to had a very young security guard standing inside. He saw my shirt and shocked me by knowing who Robinson was. I asked his age and he said, "I'm twenty-six", and explained that he watches old movies with his grandfather. I told him about the EGR blend and my history regarding the blend, and he said he was just getting into pipe smoking, and was still learning. He owned a corn cob, which he didn't care for, and a metal pipe. I gave him a few tips, and said I'd give him a few pipe tobacco samples. I went home, unloaded the car, zip-locked four aros since he likes them, and drove back to the store. While he was thanking me, I pulled out a Made in France unsmoked zulu (some of you might have seen me smoked those French pipes when I work), and his eyes bulged out as his mouth dropped. I told him that he needed a briar, and gave him some info on briar care. I told him if he wanted to do me a favor, do one for somebody sometime. He smiled and said he would.

Now, it's dinner time.
Austrian_meer_apple.jpg

Smoked a bowl of Sutliff Pipe Force Episode 1 in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. I was wearing my Edward G. Robinson t-shirt when m'lady and I were grocery shopping. The last store we went to had a very young security guard standing inside. He saw my shirt and shocked me by knowing who Robinson was. I asked his age and he said, "I'm twenty-six", and explained that he watches old movies with his grandfather. I told him about the EGR blend and my history regarding the blend, and he said he was just getting into pipe smoking, and was still learning. He owned a corn cob, which he didn't care for, and a metal pipe. I gave him a few tips, and said I'd give him a few pipe tobacco samples. I went home, unloaded the car, zip-locked four aros since he likes them, and drove back to the store. While he was thanking me, I pulled out a Made in France unsmoked zulu (some of you might have seen me smoked those French pipes when I work), and his eyes bulged out as his mouth dropped. I told him that he needed a briar, and gave him some info on briar care. I told him if he wanted to do me a favor, do one for somebody sometime. He smiled and said he would.

Now, it's dinner time.
View attachment 12569
That is a wonderful story. The guy will remember that gesture for a long time.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, a rack and a half of baby back ribs with a baked potato and sweet corn on the side. Dessert was a bowl of neapolitan ice cream, and a Mallow Cup, which is one of my favorite candies, though I very seldom eat candy. The Mallow Cup factory was a couple of blocks behind the house where I lived in Pennsylvania, so I grew up eating them. Anyway, I'm at the last quarter of this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

Wilke Peanut Butter in a Mastro Geppetto rusticated Dublin.
20230716_141811.jpg

I won an auction for a lot of twenty pipes, all with stem problems. It mostly means the bit has been chewed through on the bottom side. As I get these pipes in shape, I'll take pictures. Not a great pipe picture, but here's the lot as they are.
20230831_190640.jpg

Off to work with a bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Going to listen to the Braves-Dodgers game.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Three Nuns in a Lane era Charatan's Make Belvedere. The tenon and mortise are loose, there is a hole in the stem, it needs cleaning, and the stem has to be bent as it appears to have straightened over time. It has a nice big bowl, a slender double comfort bit (I just almost dropped the stem down a storm drain, that's why you gotta fix these things!), and I consider myself a Charatan guy. So I'm enjoying smoking this in a Portland drizzle.
16935427514412560886588001972878.jpg

Close to finishing this bowl of Wilke No. 222 in an undated, unbranded straight smooth dark brown made in France Los Alton VBF billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Just fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger, who is currently chasing a moth around the den. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
France_Cant_billiard.jpg

A couple of minutes or so away from smoking Angler's Dream in a 1984 Stanwell Antique 124 egg with a smooth brown front and a black sandblasted back with a dark gold ferrule and black vulcanite stem in the military mount style. Have a little more work to do.
Stanwell_Antique_124.jpg

Fed the ferals, and Molly Danger, who is eating more than usual. Well, she needs it because she's skinny. Anyway, work's done for the day and I am passing the quarter mark on this bowl of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a year 2021 straight black sandblasted Peterson Ragaire 150 bulldog with a unmounted army mount tapered acrylic cumberland fish tail stem. This blend will be released in November.
Peterson_Ragaire_bulldog150 .jpg

Now, it's dinner time.
View attachment 12569
That's an awesome post. I just read it to Mrs Z, she was like "Awwwwww what a wonderful man". I have to agree, well done Jim.

Passing the quarter mark on this bowl of year 2022 Watch City Blue Ridge Special in a 2012 smooth reddish brown medium bend Peterson 03 Red Spray apple silver spigot with a tapered black acrylic fish tail stem. That'll do it for me today.
Peterson03_Red SpraySS.jpg