What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacksie is doing mich better and I took him out for a nice walk. I smoked Schwab's Proud Sultan in the wide-mouthed Monarch bent squashed apple. About which: I am in the process of dedicating a number of my pipes to particular tobaccos/blends. This Monarch tend to smoke a little fast. Any recommendations on tobaccos for wide-mouthed pipes?
View attachment 17402
While many pipers prefer to smoke flakes in smaller-bowled pipes, I use flakes and other "rough cut" tobaccos in my larger bowled pipes. The larger cut slows down my puffing!!! May work for you also!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

A third of a bowl left of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo. Fed all the ferals except for Harry the Hairy.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am close to finishing this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Gold Star Jamaican Estate Reserve, neat, is my drink. Been busy taking photos and videos of Sam the Scamps li'l scampers.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Fifty years ago this day, the great Henry Aaron broke Babe Ruth's home run record. My father and I watched that historic moment. Aaron and Roberto Clemente were my heroes growing up, and watching that moment was very special to me.

Close to finishing this bowl of year 2021 first production Watch City Simply Orange Virginia in a black sandblast medium bend Peterson POTY 4AB No. 182/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg

A third of a bowl left of year 2018 Mac Baren HH Burley Flake in a 1979 smooth straight dark brown Loewe Army 910 billiard with a silver cap military mount and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Of the 35 freshly cleaned estate pipes I have not smoked, I have decided on what to smoke in 17 of them. The rest are a challenge, especially since I am looking for blends that are very lightly flavored in old pipes. I've made a very few exceptions in the past, but am trying not to with most of these.
Loewe910_Army_MMount.jpg

Half way through this bowl of Wilke Back Bay w/o perique in a smooth, brown, medium bend 1990's Grenci freehand with an unstained plateau top and a black saddle stem vulcanite stem. Grenci pipes were made with well aged briar, and excellent craftsmanshiip. Only my second time smoking it mostly due to the size of the pipe. A forum friend of mine reminded me that I have it, but I dug it out for a smoke. Watching the Hank Aaron tributes on MLB TV.
Grenci_Freehand.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am close to finishing this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Gold Star Jamaican Estate Reserve, neat, is my drink. Been busy taking photos and videos of Sam the Scamps li'l scampers.
View attachment 17406

Fifty years ago this day, the great Henry Aaron broke Babe Ruth's home run record. My father and I watched that historic moment. Aaron and Roberto Clemente were my heroes growing up, and watching that moment was very special to me.
Clemente was my idol.

Jacksie woke up early, so I got out of bed and let him out. After he came in I could tell he wasn’t feeling well, so I came out on the patio. Jacksie is on my lap, covered with a throw. I am drinking a Members Mark Colombian k-cup and smoking KBV Burley Morning Pipe in the Jansen’s bent volcano.
View attachment 17397
I like your storage jars. Does the lid screw down or is it a plug?

Passing the half way mark of this bowl of year 2012 Esoterica Dunbar in a smooth straight, dark brown early 1960s Lane era Charatan Selected 43 Dublin with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. This pipe was formerly owned by actor William Conrad. Watching the Braves pre-game show with lots of Henry Aaron tributes.
Conrad-Dublin copy.jpg

Home again home again, jiggity-jig! Making H&H my work-a-day tobacco may have been an error. It smokes very easily outdoors and consequently I had four bowl today. We're removing snow-fence and pumping melt-water for the most part. The General Manager is threatening to open next Monday, premature in my experience and that of the Superintendant. He has no spine dealing with uninformed membership requests, opening early only delays achieving hardy, resilient turf by putting traffic stress on it before it has adequately recovered from winter. It isn't ignorance, he's been working golf courses in Manitoba for thirty years, he knows the climate. He's just a gutless yes man and professional ass-kisser. We make the miracles happen and he takes the credit. The members also know better, for the most part as well, but give them an inch and they take a mile. I promise to try and limit my workplace rants, the situation is nothing new to me. I do bristle at his arrogant expectations, though.

Did see a bit of the eclipse, we had overcast weather so I risked a brief glimpse. It is strange to see the sun with a bite out of it. In 1979 we had a total eclipse cross Manitoba and that was a truly remarkable experience. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Clemente was my idol.
Absolutely mine, too. I have a photo of Roberto and a copy of his HoF plaque on my wall along with a autographed ball and baseball card. From Little League to high school, American Legion and semi-pro ball, I always wore 21. I was a right fielder much of the time because Clemente was one. In semi-pro ball, I even got into a fight with my player-manager and star pitcher over it. He was ten years younger than me. He said that was his number, and even had diamond earrings with that number. I said, "Give the earrings to your wife because you aren't wearing 21. I was wearing that number before you were born, and nobody is wearing 21, but me." He challenged me to a fight by saying "Winner gets the number." I had him pinned down on the floor in five seconds. "You aren't getting up until you agree that I get 21," which he finally did. The only thing I felt bad about was it was at his house in front of his wife and two boys, but nobody on my team was going wear 21 as long as I was there. We did stay friends, though.

Walking on the Roberto Clemente bridge in Pittsburgh was a very emotional thing for me.
10460922_10202209748905768_3684093639363197927_n.jpg

10461399_10202209759546034_4890386879972586265_n.jpg

10432500_10202209767586235_3948535673712698140_n.jpg

M'lady and me in front of the statue of Roberto at PNC park.
10439347_10202209789506783_827848136183783201_n.jpg

Home again home again, jiggity-jig! Making H&H my work-a-day tobacco may have been an error. It smokes very easily outdoors and consequently I had four bowl today. We're removing snow-fence and pumping melt-water for the most part. The General Manager is threatening to open next Monday, premature in my experience and that of the Superintendant. He has no spine dealing with uninformed membership requests, opening early only delays achieving hardy, resilient turf by putting traffic stress on it before it has adequately recovered from winter. It isn't ignorance, he's been working golf courses in Manitoba for thirty years, he knows the climate. He's just a gutless yes man and professional ass-kisser. We make the miracles happen and he takes the credit. The members also know better, for the most part as well, but give them an inch and they take a mile. I promise to try and limit my workplace rants, the situation is nothing new to me. I do bristle at his arrogant expectations, though.

Did see a bit of the eclipse, we had overcast weather so I risked a brief glimpse. It is strange to see the sun with a bite out of it. In 1979 we had a total eclipse cross Manitoba and that was a truly remarkable experience. I hope you all enjoyed it.
I remember the '79 eclipse when I viewed it in Berkeley.

Last edited:
Absolutely mine, too. I have a photo of Roberto and a copy of his HoF plaque on my wall along with a autographed ball and baseball card. From Little League to high school, American Legion and semi-pro ball, I always wore 21. I was a right fielder much of the time because Clemente was one. In semi-pro ball, I even got into a fight with my player-manager and star pitcher over it. He was ten years younger than me. He said that was his number, and even had diamond earrings with that number. I said, "Give the earrings to your wife because you aren't wearing 21. I was wearing that number before you were born, and nobody is wearing 21, but me." He challenged me to a fight by saying "Winner gets the number." I had him pinned down on the floor in five seconds. "You aren't getting up until you agree that I get 21," which he finally did. The only thing I felt bad about was it was at his house in front of his wife and two boys, but nobody on my team was going wear 21 as long as I was there. We did stay friends, though.

Walking on the Roberto Clemente bridge in Pittsburgh was a very emotional thing for me.
View attachment 17412
View attachment 17413
View attachment 17414

M'lady and me in front of the statue of Roberto at PNC park.
View attachment 17416
Jim, what a great story!

I grew up in Altoona, PA unti I was 11 (1967), when we moved to Calif. One of my fondest memories was when my grandparents took me to see a double header against the Dodgers at Forbes Field. And I have many fond memories of listening to Bob Prince call the Pirates games on KDKA radio ("Beat 'em Bucs, one more time!" went the jingo). And one of my happiest sports memories was the triumph of the Clemente-led Pirates in the '71 series. Fast foward 40 years when I was working as a decision support analyst for UPMC close to the Pitt campus. The Pitt law school library is built on the site of Forbes Field, and in the lobby there is a brass home plate on the spot where the original home plate was located. And I've had a similar pleasure walking on the Roberto Clemente Bridge.