What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a spendid ribeye dinner, I'm relaxing on the patio with the last glass of a bottle of Cline 2021 Old Vine Lodi Zinfandel, and two more goodies that arrived today: the latest issue of Chess Life magazine and Sutliff Rum & Maple in my unbranded billard with saddle stem.
View attachment 17418
I am enjoying Sutcliff Rum & Maple. Very pleasant room note as judged by the missus.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, brotula and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm smoking year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Watching the Braves-Mets game.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Jim, what a great story!

I grew up in Altoona, PA unti I was 11 (1967), when we moved to Calif. One of my fondest memories was when my grandparents took me to see a double header against the Dodgers at Forbes Field. And I have many fond memories of listening to Bob Prince call the Pirates games on KDKA radio ("Beat 'em Bucs, one more time!" went the jingo). And one of my happiest sports memories was the triumph of the Clemente-led Pirates in the '71 series. Fast foward 40 years when I was working as a decision support analyst for UPMC close to the Pitt campus. The Pitt law school library is built on the site of Forbes Field, and in the lobby there is a brass home plate on the spot where the original home plate was located. And I've had a similar pleasure walking on the Roberto Clemente Bridge.
Except for the difference in our ages, I could have practically written what you did. I was born in Altoona, too. I got to see Clemente play in Forbes Field. And nobody was more fun to listen to than the Gunner and Jim Woods, the Possum. Nellie King, who replaced The Possum, was pretty good, but Woods was better. Sometime, you need to remind me to tell you about having dinner with Willie Stargell.

I'm finishing up a bowl of Heine's Blend in a Rossi Rubino 8626 with a Savinelli 6mm charcoal filter. This tobacco is aging beautifully, even in its original tub. It's a perfect "watching T.V." tobacco. Just light it and small puffs, it turns into a smoldering stone in the pipe. My son is sitting in the living room with me and he likes the aroma. Even though I'm using a filter it is still a little stingy, I'm thinking it's the topping, some kind of spice.

Passing the half way mark of this bowl of year 2014 Strang in a 2003 smooth light brown medium bend straight grain Ardor Venere Extra signed by Dorelio Rovera Dublin with a black acrylic saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Downloading photos as I watch the ball game.
Ardor Venere Extra Strang Dublin.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and dipped into a jar for a bowl of year 2015 Esoterica Tilbury in a smooth medium bend 1999 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Milverton with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Peterson Sherlock Holmes_Milverton.jpg

Near the half way mark of this bowl of year 2010 Full Virginia Flake in a slight bend 1968 group 4S Dunhill Shell 475 cherrywood with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Dunhill_1968Cherrywood_Shell_475_4S.jpg

Harry the Hairy showed up twice at eat, and both times wanted inside. Once, he laid on the doormat for about a half hour, hoping for an invite. Another time, I had to break up a potential fight between Harry and Tomato the Brave.
HarryWatchesSam2.jpg

We brought out Sam the Scamp and the Scampers with their playpen. Tomato the Brave got upset, and immediately wanted to go outside. He won’t stay in when they are out. Abner was not eager to see them either. He was close to spraying the pen when I picked him up, and put him out. From now on, we won’t let Abner in while the scampers are in the den. Even though Abner goes to other places, and it may be true that he has an owner, enough is enough. At some point, we’ll get him neutered if we can.

Early this afternoon, I was playing with the Scampers while Sam was in the kitchen eating. One of orange tabbies nibbled and licked a couple of my fingers before it got adventurous, and climbed up my arm to my elbow. Wish I had been able to get a photo of that. I did get a few short videos of them which I’ll post on Facebook. Daisy the Feral Princess has slept most the day and night away in my studio. She avoids them. Sleepy Suzy handles seeing the scampers better than Molly Danger, who is afraid of them, and hisses her discontent.
Orangehold1.jpg

Orangehold3Pipe.jpg

OrangClose1.jpg

Just finished smoking year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a 1920s medium bend smooth dark brown BBB Umbra bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem with an orific bit. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
BBB_Umbra_bulldog.jpg

Fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger, and am smoking Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a smooth medium bend terracotta Peterson POY 2023 X160 464/1100 military mount egg with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Harry the Hairy was waiting outside, so he was fed, too.
Peterson_POY2023_X160.jpg

I had the Maine Coon scamp with the bob tail on my lap today, too.
MCHoldBT1.jpg

MCHoldBT2.jpg

MC_CloseBT1.jpg

BabiesPen1.jpg

Now smoking Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Reading baseball box scores. I may end the day with this smoke.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

While many pipers prefer to smoke flakes in smaller-bowled pipes, I use flakes and other "rough cut" tobaccos in my larger bowled pipes. The larger cut slows down my puffing!!! May work for you also!!! FWIW, FTRPLT
You know, the MB Mixture Scottish I just received has long, thick ribbons. It might do well.