What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
docwatson":52swehz3 said:
Steamy afternoon here in Central Massachusetts, opting for some reintroduced Balkan Sobraine White Label in a Lee Von Erck Sandblast.
IMG_3000.jpg

I just finished a tin of that. When I find more I need to stock up!

Smoking some PS Nougat in a basket bent billiard.

SG Golden Glow in a Savinelli Nonpariel bent billiard. Samuel Adams Summer Ale on the side. Just sittin' in the shade of the big cedar by the house, enduringj the heat.

FVF dust from the bottom of the jar in the antique Peterson apple. 8)

:face:

...after a very hot afternoon (107) at the lake, I'm filling a bowl with J. Fox Dorisco in my straight stem Charatan executive billiard-Lane Era...

Started out with Brown Flake..then quickly came to realize what Lakeland means. Dumped the bowl after only a few minutes (soap taste was too strong for me). Switched over to Sextant after cleaning.

Its a no frills, easy-does-it kinda morning.

Carter Hall in a basket.

...Germains King Charles Mixture in my Brebbia "Spring" straight apple...

Breaking in the new Brigham Rhodesian with some Former's Bird's Eye Flake

brig-rh.jpg

...this afternoon a bowl of aged Escudo in a 1966 group 4 Dunhill straight billiard...

Starting off today with a bowl of Smoker's Haven 20Th Anniversary mixture in my old Root Briar poker. So far, so good. It's heavier on the Turkish, and lighter on the lat than Exotique... and according to the tin the Latakia is of the Syrian variety: "Long cut Virginia tobacco, choice Syrian Latakia and rich flavored Turkish carefully nurtured in rolled tobacco hogshead."

I wish it were more clear what "...carefully nurtured in a rolled tobacco hogshead" means??? It's aged in casks??
fa59013a.jpg

s.ireland":a7fqzdby said:
Starting off today with a bowl of Smoker's Haven 20Th Anniversary mixture in my old Root Briar poker. So far, so good. It's heavier on the Turkish, and lighter on the lat than Exotique... and according to the tin the Latakia is of the Syrian variety: "Long cut Virginia tobacco, choice Syrian Latakia and rich flavored Turkish carefully nurtured in rolled tobacco hogshead."

I wish it were more clear what "...carefully nurtured in a rolled tobacco hogshead" means??? It's aged in casks??
fa59013a.jpg
A tobacco hogshead was :

A tobacco hogshead was used in American colonial times to transport and store tobacco. It was a very large wooden barrel. A standardized hogshead measured 48 inches (1,219 mm) long and 30 inches (762 mm) in diameter at the head (at least 550 L/121 imp gal; 145 US gal, depending on the width in the middle). Fully packed with tobacco, it weighed about 1,000 pounds (500 kg).

hogshead_rolling1.jpg

Thanks, monbla! I knew a hogshead was a type of cask/barrel. Wish I could find some specifics on how Germain's used them to produce this mixture :study:

Storm Front (my first time) in a MM Diplomat Cob. Nice well behaved tobacco mixture. No frills goodness from top to bottom. I bought 8oz of it, so I am very happy that it agrees with me.

...continuing this evening with Escudo in my 2000 P&T Pipe of the Year Castello rusticated billiard...

Status
Not open for further replies.