What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Rapparee in a Lane era Charatan's Make Special shape 211

Since I posted earlier that I was comparing Escudo versus Dunhill Navy Rolls in this thread, I thought I'd write what I think about them.

The difference between the two is not much. It used to be, but not now. They look exactly the same. Today's Navy Rolls have a little more lighter Virginia in the rolls than they used to. Today's NR is a little less sweeter, slightly more muddy in taste, and a little less full. And just a little less perique now. Those the distinguishing factors between new NR and the Murray's version. Today's Escudo is a little different than it was 12 years ago, and is closer to NR than before. I notice the same slightly drier, less sweet taste in both versions, but the new Escudo is a little more muddy, more like the NR. The old Escudo had more of a grassy, hay-like taste than the old NR. The new Escudo has less of that flavor; only a touch of it is there now. So, they are not exactly the same tobacco because the NR doesn't have that very light grass and hay note that today's Escudo does, which gives it slightly less of a full taste. I'd say the difference is very small, not quite the same, but you'd hate to hang on the difference. There's something minor in the NR that isn't in Escudo that I can't put my finger on. Upshot: Escudo and Dunhill Navy Rolls are about 95% the same.

Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter.

Angler's Dream in a 2013 medium bend Spillproof corndog cob.

Orlick Golden Sliced in a Diplomat cob. Tastes like the odor of fresh cut hay at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway in early June. Sweet, pleasant, and tranquil. Life does have its moments...
AJ

FVF in a small 1982 three quarter bend meer with a smiling turbaned Turk's head.

Virginia Spice in an unbranded late '70s Charatan smooth Billiard.

Kicking off Memorial Day......early AM...5 Brothers...followed by SG Turkish Blend...now, D&R Ramback in a Chacom blast Canadian... :cheers:

url=https://servimg.com/view/17600532/631]
chacom17.jpg
[/url]

...up next...G&H Kendal Mixture... :cheers:

My Thanks to all past, current, and future Veterans, and their families!

Beautiful pipe...PeterD...love those Canadians.
ajn: we're smoking the same blend this am....must be fate, bro.

Feels like a RY sort of day so I'm starting with a bowl of Royal Yacht in one of my Charatan Special Bankers. :twisted:

London Mixture, in a Ser Jacopo Maxima bulldog.
Earl Grey on the side.

London Mixture in an Askwith morta bulldog.
Black coffee on the side.

Red Rapparee in a Hardcastle Jack O Londons sandblasted billiard group 2ish size.

Another beautiful day in Southern California! I'm taking the dog for a walk with some St. James flake in a cob

Block meerschaum and OGS just go together. Lovin it!

Another bowl of Royal Yacht, this one in a Charatan Special pot I got back in '70. If you like Lady'N' , this would be your' baccy :twisted:

pepesdad1":hpr9yeeg said:
Beautiful pipe...PeterD...love those Canadians.
ajn: we're smoking the same blend this am....must be fate, bro.
Pepesdad1...good to know another brother enjoys same/similar tobacco...That Chacom Canadian is quite a fine pipe...thanks for the compliment!

This afternoon, I'll be cooking /grilling dinner for my oldest son and his family and my 5 sons (11,12,13,16,17) still living at home. ...should prove to be a great day! Tobaccos for the afternoon and evening...St. Bruno Flake, Players Navy Flake, and Walnut Flake, with a wee dram of Laphroaig on the side... :cheers:

Erinmore Flake in a Country Gentleman cob. Fine tobacco in a great pipe. :D :D
AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.