What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stonehaven in an Ashton XX Pebble billiard

It's the birthday of Virginia Woolf, born in London in 1882. She was educated by her father, and she said he taught her "to read what one liked because one liked it, never to pretend to admire what one did not."

For most of her life, Woolf suffered from depression, and one doctor prescribed long walks as a remedy. It was on these walks that she conceived many of her novels, including Mrs. Dalloway (1925) and To the Lighthouse (1927).

It's the birthday of poet Robert Burns, born in Alloway, Scotland, in 1759. He was the son of a poor farmer, and he spent the first half of his life engaged in the back-breaking work of farming. He always carried a book with him, and he read while he drove his wagon slowly along the road.

He got into trouble with a girl named Jean Armour when he got her pregnant. He had left another woman after she became pregnant, but he loved Armour and didn't want her to suffer the indignities of being an unwed mother. He lost the farm, married Jean Armour, and wound up in Edinburgh. He wrote conversational poems about Scottish life. His book Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect was very successful when it came out in 1786.

Robert Burns is the National Poet of Scotland. And today is a Scottish national holiday in his honor and celebrated all over the world by admirers of Robert Burns and by loyal Scots. There are formal suppers organized by Robert Burns societies, at which the host gives a welcoming speech and then everyone together says the Selkirk Grace, which Burns made famous:
Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Then soup is served - maybe potato soup, cock-a-leekie soup, or a Scotch broth - and then, with great ado, the haggis is brought out. All the guests recite:
Fair full your honest, jolly face,
Great chieftain of the sausage race!
Above them all you take your place,
Stomach, tripe, or intestines:
Well are you worthy of a grace
As long as my arm.

Then the haggis is cut open and served, along with rutabagas or mashed potatoes. After the meal, there are a number of toasts: one to the monarch or leader of the country, one to Robert Burns, and then a "toast to the lassies," to which a woman gives a reply. There may be other toasts, and of course, there is whiskey involved. The evening ends with everyone singing "Auld Lang Syne."

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

Good Morning All,

Brown Irish Twist in a Brigham President.

-22 c gnd it's going to warm up a little in the next few days.

:) Paul

Walnut in a Radice liverpool.
Radice3.JPG

Nice blast on that Radice Duke! I'll enjoying some Sam Gawith's "Best Brown Flk" in a Stanwell Buffalo. It's the first good pipe that I ever bought back when I was 21 years old. I thought fifty bucks was rediculously expensive in those days. So many years and still a great smoking pipe!
Staney001.jpg

I thought this thread needed it's own catagory!

St. James Flake in the forum pipe. Sometimes I really like this blend and others it seems just normal. I think its the meds and body chemistry but I still like it enough to keep 2 or 3 tins on hand but not like Escudo and a few others.

regor":mnjdbapr said:
St. James Flake in the forum pipe. Sometimes I really like this blend and others it seems just normal. I think its the meds and body chemistry but I still like it enough to keep 2 or 3 tins on hand but not like Escudo and a few others.
I've had the same exact reaction to it Roger! That is, if you're speaking of the Sam Gawith version. Sometimes it sings and other times it's just average. My biggest issue with it is regulating the humidity. Out of the tin is waaaay too wet but if you leave it to dry too long it get's REALLY dry in a hurry. I find that "Best Brown" is consistently good from bowl to bowl. JF is just kinda moody :p

This evening Frog Moton in my new Stanwell 186. Very smooth satisfying smoke from the very first match. I know I'm gonna like this new Stanwell. :study:

the last dregs of a tin of tudor castle arcade in my tortoise shell stem bent egg/billiard eltang. I swear it tastes just like a salted filet mignon just off the grill! fantastic ! air time for this blend does wonders!

McB's Navy Flake in a Tsuge Tokyo. This was both a hit and a miss...

I've always wanted to be able to smoke flakes with the fold and stuff method but on previous tries I've always ended up disappointed. So after doing yet some more reading on the subject I looked through my pipes and decided this pipe was probably the best suited for further experimentation. I took a single flake, folded it up, gave it a slight twist and into the bowl it went. Perfect fit, nothing extra hanging out of the bowl and not stuffed in so much to obstruct the draw. It was actually quite loose. Well it smoked like a dream, better than most of my usual rub out and pack jobs.

The miss? This pipe had been dedicated to GLPease Embarcadero and the ghosts leftover from the orientals really messed up the taste of Navy Flake. Ick! I'll just give it a good cleaning and start over. If I can keep up the good luck it's going to stay a folded flake pipe.

Started the day with Walnut in the Radice blasted liverpool. I hope to acquire another Radice and definitely another liverpool. I really like this shape!

McB's Navy Flake in an Ivarsson design Stanwell #87

Enjoying some fresh FVF in a good smoking Jirsa!!

Good Morning All,

PS Luxury Navy Flake in a Peterson donegal.

-31c over night but on the rise quickly this am a balmy -17c

:) Paul

This afternoon met with Walnut in Tinsky Coral bent apple. Very nice!

Luxury Navy Flake in a Ser Jacopo L1 1/4 bent brandy. :lol:

Winslow :sunny:

Today was a lighter day, since I'd stayed very heavy and frequent this past weekend. Just some Aged Burley Flake, Abingdon and finally University Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.