What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All,

Weybridge in a Lorenzetti billiard

-17c with snow

:) Paul

Well, I never did fall back asleep. Went ahead and smoked that bowl of Stonehaven and started reading a new book, John Gierach's Fools Paradise. Kids are up now raisin kane, contemplating my next smoke. Kinda nice outside already, a bit warmer here than what Paul is seeing. ... Cigar or pipe.... :suspect: :lol: Decisions, decisions!

For todays ride home what is becoming my favorite smoke: S.G. & Co. Full Va Flake in my Tinsky Danish Author. :pipe: on Brothers!

Boswells "Dans Blend" in a Big Ben calabash meer

Ennerdale Flake in a Giant Ardor,very tasty.Went to the doctor today for sciatic pain
in my hip and got some narcotic pills......Lord does the tobacco taste fine tonight behind
the hydrocodone!And I can move around without screaming. ;)

Winslow :sunny:

Earlier today, Dan Devil's Holiday in a cob. Now, Samuel Gawith Navy Flake in a basket shell billiard.

Both from Winslow's sampler pack--good looking out, Brother!

Winslow":q4yqk4z3 said:
...got some narcotic pills......Lord does the tobacco taste fine tonight behind
the hydrocodone!And I can move around without screaming.
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat Winslow :no: I'm trying to time my smoking with my meds so I can actually relax and enjoy my pipe. Don't let anyone tell you that arthroscopic surgery is a piece of cake - it hurts like a summbitch!! There is absolutely no position that you can put a sewn-up shoulder in that relieves the pain :x

This afternoon, a fine Torano 1916 Cameroon torpedo with a side of oxycodon, coffee chaser :cheers:

FVF in an old Stanwell second billiard.

Then, Key Largo in an old Loewe billiard.

Finishing up with Embarcadero in an old Parker billiard.

All three with custom-made lucite stems by LL (of PPR&R)

A utopian evening :D

:face:

Mid-afternoon smoke of Walnut in a Kaywoodie 07 shape billiard. Rounding out today's smoking with another bowl of Walnut in the Brissett bent billiard. A very nice day of pipe smoking!

I'm up very early smoking a bowl of DGT'ed Spilman Mixture in a Butz-Choquin 1/8 bent billiard. Gawith Apricot for the nose, OJ for my thirst.

Smokey

Astley's 109 in a Viprati billiard

It's the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr., born in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1929. He was a minister in Montgomery, Alabama, 26 years old, when he was chosen to lead a boycott of segregated buses. He didn't set out to become civil rights activist, and he said later that if he'd known what the job would entail, he might have turned it down. He wasn't even sure he wanted to become a preacher. As a teenager, he thought that the way people shouted and made noise in his Baptist church was embarrassing.

But during the bus boycott, during which he was assaulted and arrested and his house was bombed, he experienced what he described as a religious conversion. He realized that the civil rights movement was greater than King himself, greater than his own doubts, and that he had to act like a charismatic figurehead, even if he didn't feel like one. He said: "As I became involved, and as people began to derive inspiration from their involvement, I realized that the choice leaves your own hands. The people expect you to give them leadership."

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

Started the day early as usual with a great smoke of Walnut in a Pipa Croci full bent pick ax. Next up will be Walnut in a Brissett rusticated freehand dublin.

Good Morning All,

Popped open Manhattan Afternoon and will smoke a pipeful shortly in a Wolfgang.

Going up to +4 c today.

:) Paul

Monday, January 19, 2009, is the 202nd birthday of Robert E. Lee, whose memory is still dear in the hearts of many.

Dwight D. Eisenhower proudly displayed a portrait of Lee in his presidential office.

Robert E. Lee, a man whose military tactics have been studied worldwide, was an American soldier, Educator, Christian gentlemen, husband and father. Lee said quote, 'All the South has ever desired was that the Union , as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth.'

He was born on Jan. 19, 1807, at ' Stratford ' in Westmoreland County, Virginia. The winter was cold and the fireplaces were little help for Robert's mother, Ann Hill (Carter) Lee, who suffered from a severe cold.
Ann Lee named her son 'Robert Edward' after two of her brothers.
Robert E. Lee undoubtedly acquired his love of country from those who lived during the American Revolution. His Father, 'Light Horse' Harry was a hero of the revolution and served three terms as governor of Virginia and as a member of the United States House of Representatives. Two members of his family also signed the Declaration of Independence.
Lee was educated at the schools of Alexandria, Va., and he received an appointment to West Point Military Academy in 1825. He graduated in 1829, second in his class and without a single demerit.

While serving as 2nd Lieutenant of Engineers at Fort Monroe, Va., Lee wed Mary Ann Randolph Custis. Robert and Mary had grown up together, Mary was the daughter of George Washington Parke Custis, the Grandson of Martha Washington and adopted son of George Washington.
Mary was an only child; therefore, she inherited Arlington House, across the Potomac River from Washington , D.C., where she and Robert E. Lee raised seven children, three boys and four girls.
Army promotions were slow. In 1836, Lee was appointed to first Lieutenant. In 1838, with the rank of Captain, Robert E. Lee fought in the War with Mexico and was wounded at the Battle of Chapultepec.
Lee was appointed Superintendent of West Point in 1852 and is considered one of the best superintendents in that institution's history.
President to-be Abraham Lincoln offered command of the Union army to Lee in 1861, but he refused. He said, 'I cannot raise my hand against my birthplace, my home, my children.'

Lee was a man of honor, proud of his name and heritage. After the War Between the States, he was offered $50,000 for the use of his name. His reply was: 'Sirs, my name is the heritage of my parents. It is all I have and it is not for sale.' His refusal came at a time when he had nothing.

On this his 202nd birthday let us ponder the words he wrote to Annette Carter in 1868: 'I grieve for posterity, for American Principles and American liberty.'
:face:

Last night was some Stokkebye Bullseye Flake Medallions in a Jirsa rusticated horn... nice smoke, somewhat flat but decent flavor.

-Adam

Had a nice after lunch smoke with my Tinsky Author & SG Full Va Flake.

Just got home from work and am kicked back with some GLP Maltese Falcon in a Jan Zeman. I don't seem to hear a lot about Jan's pipes but they sure do smoke good.

-4F in mid-MO this morning and expecting more of the same tomorrow. Brrrrrrrrrrrr........

Smokey

smokey422":0otlmtvn said:
Just got home from work and am kicked back with some GLP Maltese Falcon in a Jan Zeman. I don't seem to hear a lot about Jan's pipes but they sure do smoke good.

-4F in mid-MO this morning and expecting more of the same tomorrow. Brrrrrrrrrrrr........

Smokey
I just received today two tins of Maltese Falcon I had ordered from Smokingpipes.com. I'm really looking forward to giving it a try.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.