What are you snuffing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my new order in. I picked the McCrystal’s Hopps (I refuse to use the new German name) to break the ice. I’ve been onto FUBAR Medic for several weeks which has to be the world’s easiest snuff to control and one of the most excellent menthols on the planet. The Hopps was a huge change...super fine, dry (but not super dusty) and greatly floral...quite lovely. Even after sneezing twenty or thirty times and popping my left eye out that lovely aroma lasted. Very exciting.

On a roll here...

Wildon’s Of Sharrow - Singleton’s. Dark and medium coarse with a great barnyard tobacco taste. It has some combination of menthol, camphor and Eucalyptus...I guess. I understand they call that “medicated” as opposed to “mentholated”. Whatever.  The effect is not harsh or really strong even though it says “SuperCool”:eek:n the tin. This style seems old school to me. Very enjoyable. I got an itty bitty 5 gm tin as a sampler. Next time I’ll get the big 25 gm one.

Having some Chenet's Cake snuff. Smells like manure in the jar, sweet hay in the nose. Will the manure smell go away over time? I was hoping for the plum smell I get from the Chenet's tin.

Matt, I've found that snuffs go though cycles in the tin. My Viking Dark 500g jar will reek of amonia sometimes when I open it. I will decant off 10-20 grams into a container and leave the lid off for a few hours giving it a good stir every 15-20 minutes and the smell will be gone.

Jim

The ammonia smell is common to many snuff, especially the menthol ones as far as I understand. And it does “off gas” to the point where it is undetectable. I think it’s just mostly the really fresh strong menthol crystal.

I also think a manure aroma (makers prefer to call it “barnyard” so as not to put off customers) If is there it is there. It might fade with time but not completely. The South African snuffs like NTSU and TAXI have this in spades and those who like it, like it a lot.

TAXI Blue - really nice.

Edit: Whoa! I took very small pinches and can REALLY feel the N hit. If this is supposed to be second in strength behind TAXI Red...I don’t think I need to go THERE!

Well, I can't get enough of the stuff even though it stinks in the jar! Thanks guys, leaving the lid off for now.

Going back and forth between 6 Photo Kailash and Chenets.

Zanaspus":jm7qxbt7 said:
Toque Rustica as is my nighttime habit.
Z - I’ve read a few reviews and seen the bags of Rustica on the Toque site.  What would a review by you look like?  What’s the strength compared to some other well known items...like TAXI or GRUNT or Viking? If you’ve tried the Toque USA Whiskey & Honey that has the Rustica in it...how much stronger is the straight Rustica? What’s the flavor like...compared to What? I’m thinking about a 50 or 100 gm bag and your input would be most appreciated.

Blackhorse":vjbzwzml said:
Zanaspus":vjbzwzml said:
Toque Rustica as is my nighttime habit.
Z - I’ve read a few reviews and seen the bags of Rustica on the Toque site.  What would a review by you look like?  What’s the strength compared to some other well known items...like TAXI or GRUNT or Viking? If you’ve tried the Toque USA Whiskey & Honey that has the Rustica in it...how much stronger is the straight Rustica? What’s the flavor like...compared to What? I’m thinking about a 50 or 100 gm bag and your input would be most appreciated.
That's a tough one. First the easy part; strength. I actually find the nicotine punch lower than USA Whiskey and Honey, Taxi, etc. It's not toothless, but I don't feel the smack that I do from the others. Whether that's because Roderick adds less alkaline ingredients or it just hits me differently, I'm not sure.

The taste. It's strange, when I first tried it, I kind of hated it. It certainly doesn't smell of what one would expect from a pure tobacco product. Initially, there sort of a sour acidic hit which is very short-lived. After that, I've seen folks describe it as a black tea scent, and I certainly couldn't argue with that. It's a bit haylike, but not in a Virginia sort of mown hay hit, more like a pile of hay that's been doused by rain. There is absolutely no sweetness, tobacco or otherwise.It's really very hard to adequately describe. I would suggest you give it a try. If you don't like it on it's own, it can easily be used to add a little kick to a scented WoS, F&T and the like.

I'm sure this is clear as mud, but it's really a scent which has no comparison in anything I've ever smelled.

Blackhorse":x6r4wnml said:
AlphaWarrior":x6r4wnml said:
Chenet's snuff, Toque peanut butter, and Gawith Firedance today.

So...Peanut Butter?  I’ve always wondered just how weird that was. So, is it?
To me, it's more roasted peanuts than peanut butter. A strange distinction I know, but virtually all peanut butter is sweetened. This snuff is as unsweet as it comes. I suppose if you like to go to the ballpark and smell your unshelled peanuts a lot it may work for you. I find it less than stellar. Just my two coppers.