What are your must-have production pipe brands?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at the number of pipe brands/makers when I'm browsing for a new acquisition. I own a Charatan and a Peterson and have a Savinelli on the way. I'm also considering a Stanwell. They are all estates produced from the 20's to the 60's. I spend anywhere from $50 to $150 a pipe. By buying estates, I feel like I can get higher quality for lower prices.

Anyway,if you could own only half a dozen brands, which would they be? Are there countries of origin you prefer?

Some day I may get into some ultra premiums and low production carvers, but first I want to establish a good solid collection of recognized brands.

At one point I had 38 pipes.. About 20 of them were estate Stanwells, the rest were gifts from family/friends.   

I'm sure there will be others that point you in different directions...

I'm a Savinelli fan and have 14 of them in my collection of which 8 are Punt Oro's. You can buy any Sav with eyes closed. I also love Stanwell and Brebbia pipes and have a number of them in my collection.

As for English pipes, I collect OLD Parkers and Sasieni Old England's . They are superb smokers and I grab them whenever I find them on eBay.

As for really high quality pipes, you can't go wrong with MM corn cobs. They are the best out there and easy to come by at a fair price. I'm serious about this!

Keep an eye out for older 'Parker' estate pipes, some fantastic Briar, not your top shelf Briar of course but very good none the less and the execution on form was excellent years ago, some folk know better than most and price them quite high at times but a lot of folk see them as nothing more than reject pipes and price them accordingly. ;)

Briar Spirit":0xw1av5x said:
Keep an eye out for older 'Parker' estate pipes, some fantastic Briar, not your top shelf Briar of course but very good none the less and the execution on form was excellent years ago, some folk know better than most and price them quite high at times but a lot of folk see them as nothing more than reject pipes and price them accordingly. ;)
Yes, I only collect OLD Parkers! I get them for cheap and they are superb smokers. People don't realise that and I reap the benefits :D

Speedy, I can second Sav seconds. Lol. Of the pipes I kept when I sold out a few years back Sav seconds were three of them.. Yes they hold sentimental value as gifts but they are in fact good smokes.

I had some pipes they made in the 90's and early 2000's with those crazy big buttons I despised.. No that's not strong enough I Hated them. It looks like they corrected that issue at some point. I have a Sav first coming next Wednesday, so I will comment again later.

Tell us more about Brebbia's.

puros_bran":yzbvywmr said:
Tell us more about Brebbia's.  
If you google History of Brebbia you will see that the first Brebbia pipes were sold under the Savinelli name. The fact that Savinelli agreed to allow this, is a big plus for me.

As I see it, there are some competion between Brebbia and Savinelli today and therefor both companies produce excellent pipes. This competion is good for the market because it keeps both companies on their toes.  

As far as quality is concerned, Brebbia might be slightly ahead of Savinelli but then they are more expensive than the Sav's as well.

I stick to the Sav's because they are more readely available on eBay.  But I will always grab a Brebbia when I can get it at a fair (to me) price.

I'd second wholeheartedly the reasons for Savinelli as for a currently made production pipe, they have probably the widest variety of QUALITY pipes both style and price wise. Depending on when they were made ( pre this or post that) most of the classic Brit makers would be another choice but one maker that I have ALWAY's liked has been BBB. I bought them back when they were new and still in business as well as used today. They used oil cured Algerian Briar and their "Thorneycroft" blasted pipes are some of my faves !! And so far they are still at an affordable price compared to many of the other classic Brit makers pipes . :twisted: :twisted:

I have pipes made by many makers and from many countries but, I reckon I've really grown to love most Italian makers but, there certainly not all I look for. Truthfully, any quality made pipe that interests my eye and that I can afford is in trouble. ;)

One I forgot to mention as far as "used" pipes go are Charatans, one of the premier Brit firms. I know "... they are miss drilled golf clubs" as one of the EXPERTS here states, but I've bought them when new back in the early '70s and have found the Lane era ones to be some of the FINEST pipes I own! I'm not all that familiar with the current production product though. Oh well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thank you all for your feedback. I missed out on a good deal for both a Sav and a Brebbia that I could have had for under $40, but wasn't familiar with Brebbia so I passed. In my search for ONE Savinelli, I'll probably end up with at least two (will post pics once I receive them). I like the Italian makers like many of you have expressed. Any experience with Ascorti?

Definitely will be getting a Stanwell and a Sasieni. Will be researching Parker, Becker, and Mortar. Thanks brothers.

I can't really explain it, but I really prefer Estate Kaywoodies. Every one I've had has smoked perfectly, and the feel of history in an estate pipe is wonderful.

Richard Burley":824182i8 said:
Missouri Meerschaum.  There is no other "must have" I can think of.  None.
What I've said !

There is NOTHING to beat a cob.

monbla256":h5a7qrnz said:
One I forgot to mention as far as "used" pipes go are Charatans, one of the premier Brit firms. I know "... they are miss drilled golf clubs" as one of the EXPERTS here states, but I've bought them when new back in the early '70s and have found the Lane era ones to be some of the FINEST pipes I own! I'm not all that familiar with the current production product though. Oh well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I would love to own at least one Charatan but they always sell for high prices on e Bay

fsu92john":1upvftkm said:
Savinelli.
Can't go wrong with a Sav, new or estate, cheapie or expensive :D

I bought a new Trevi 320ks couple of years ago for $52.00. Friend of mine liked it so much that I eventually traded it for one of his Punto Oro's.

It's now his most favourite pipe out of more than 60! He can't stop telling me how much he enjoys the pipe.

Needless to say, he's into Sav's now just the way I am.