What Direction?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I'm getting ready to post a bunch of stuff (sealed tins and bulk jars) for trade because I find myself with a lot of variety but only an appetite for a handful of blends. I really see my cellar heading towards just a couple burley's, a few ginny's and not much else.

I'd like to hoard... ERRrrr, cellar, the following and quit collecting so many miscellaneous things:

Ginny's:

GH & co Curly Cut Regular
SG Medium Virginia
Brown Clunee
Hamborger Veermaster

Burley's:

Ule's Perfection Plug, CWB and 300 blend

English:

Squadron Leader and Picadilly (English with a very light Latakia presence).

For the "Something Different" moods:

Heinrich's Dark Strong flake
Stonehaven
Haddo's
Conniston Cut Plug unscented

Everything else in my cellar will be traded or smoked (and enjoyed) over time, but I doubt I'll buy much else besides what on my list from here on out. The above represents 90% of what I smoke and what I like.

I haven't purchased any tobacco for myself in over a year. Made a few trades and received some great sample gifts from fellow BoBs over the years. Being I'm lucky lately if I get in two to three pipes a week I've got enough open tins and jars to keep me smoking for quite some time. It's funny how many tins I have that are approaching five years already because I've only been smoking for four.

I'm with PD... I'd like to focus my stuff down to about ten blends that I stock up on. Right now the majority of my cellar is Barbary Coast, Full Virginia Flake and Escudo. I'd like to really stock up on those three and add a bunch more Long Golden Flake. Then just throw in more of the blends that I really enjoy on occasion. I do like having a bunch of odd tins on hand that I can pop open every once in a while to try something new.

Yep, I'm focussing on the Fog City collection and a half dozen or so other blends that I particularly enjoy.

I've got lots of variety and will smoke/trade/gift over time.

There are so many wonderful blends out there.... but every time I open a Fog City tin I ask "why do I have all these others?".

I haven't bought anytobacco in so long I really cant claim a 'direction'..

VaPers & straight VA's mostly.
Not really enjoying Latakia heavy blends.
Dabbling with limited amounts of Burley. Still on the fence with them thus far. :suspect:

DoverPipes":f9aupskv said:
Dabbling with limited amounts of Burley.
See, that's the problem. You've got to dive headlong into and smoke some straight burley plug, not some blend with a bunch of other foofy components to get it all muddied up. Just pure burleyweed and some complimentary topping. Uhle's Perfection Plug or Peretti's Burley Plug Cut fit the bill. Only then will you know if you're a burley- phile or not 8)

I havn't purchased any substantial goodies in awhile. Occasionally I'll order a tin or three.
Ever since I moved and started schoolin and workin again, I've not had the opportunity to use my pipes much. It really gets to me. My crummy apartment is NO SMOKING. I'm not sure that I would smoke inside even if I could though. I used to work my daily schedule so that I could have one pipe a day, no matter what. Not possible these days. I enjoyed a delightful pipe yesturday. First in nearly two week. I feel like the less I get to smoke my pipes, the more my interest in the hobby develops. Although I dont get to use my pipes nearly much as I'd like to, my interest in this hobby is growing every day. As has been repeatedly spoken on different threads on this site, I truly enjoy reading what everyone has to say about their enjoyment of the pipe and the leaf.
Well here's my stash.
Sorry Ken, I guess you weren't askin how my life was goin..
IMG_0431.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0428.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0427.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0426.jpg
[/img]

Puff Daddy":7i8sw12n said:
DoverPipes":7i8sw12n said:
Dabbling with limited amounts of Burley.
See, that's the problem. You've got to dive headlong into and smoke some straight burley plug, not some blend with a bunch of other foofy components to get it all muddied up. Just pure burleyweed and some complimentary topping. Uhle's Perfection Plug or Peretti's Burley Plug Cut fit the bill. Only then will you know if you're a burley- phile or not 8)
Well PD,
I have some Uhle's Crushed White Burley & Five Brothers. I have even done a blend of the two.
I have liked them so far separately and together. I don't want you to think I was being timid about burley!!!! :p

Mine creeps up slowly in volume. Not at all organized, so I really don't know all that I have, but I'd guess it's well beyond what I can smoke in my remaining years. They'll be one hell of a yard sale on pipes and tobacco when I kick the bucket. SWMBO will probably put it all in a few huge boxes and sell them for $5 a box!

Natch

I've been all over the place but I've settled in cellaring VAs and vapers,,,PS flakes, Escudo and straight virginias,,,got about 50 tins of miscellaneous blends the result of finding my way in the dark, and once in a while I'll pop one looking for something better, but always come back to the vas & vaper flakes,,,a few favorite burleys/burley blends,,,

I'm a burley person, so I tend to add a few pounds of C&D BigNBurley when I can. The majority though, are OTCs, moving strongly in the direction of Middleton products, esp PA and Walnut, and Sugar Barrel. And, lots of 5Bros, to which I intend to addd more this week.

I have but about 15 various blends in mason jars that I dip into now and then but I continue to hoard VaPers and burleys. I want to have enough of my favorites to realx and fall back on when I retire in 2015. Should I be making a cellar for my whisky? Hmmm...

I am always trying a few blends that I age for about a year. If i don't like something that much, i mason jar it and leave it for a few more.

If I like something a whole lot, I keep that on hand but cellar a lot of it. I make a point to always be trying something new, variety is the spice of life, after all.

Slow Puffs":a0hcrtg7 said:
Yep, I'm focussing on the Fog City collection and a half dozen or so other blends that I particularly enjoy.

I've got lots of variety and will smoke/trade/gift over time.

There are so many wonderful blends out there.... but every time I open a Fog City tin I ask "why do I have all these others?".
I looked for my avatar when I read this :lol:

Mirrors what I've been thinking.

Buddy

I'm just getting started but I have found a couple I'll be buying in volume, both burleys. I'm also planning on trying some CH soon, so I can decide if it will be PA/Walnut/CH to start (start) the OTC cellaring.

I have a lot of stuff to try, and I'm finding that makes it a little more difficult for me to put some back long term...