What do you do with leftover tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealtorFrank

Reaction score
I have been reading more and more about people combining the small remaining bits (less than a bow) of tobacco left in their tins into one large jar. What are your thoughts on this?

I´ve done it. The anticipation for what would come of it was far better than what came of it...

It was fun though. I found that whichever was your least favorite was the one that dominated, hahaha! :p

Why not? Either that or the end of it ends up in the trash. Think of it as a tobacco sausage...or tobacco bagged tea (since that's the "dusting" of real tea leaves) etc. It never tastes "good"...unless you smoke tobaccos that are really similar...but it saves money and is a conversation piece. Frankenstein tobacco.

I keep a small jar for "leftovers."
I like to dry my tobacco a bit and put
about a bowlful on a sheet of paper.
I'm pretty good at estimating a bowl, but
there is often a little left; it goes in the jar.
Anything less than a bowl, left in a tin, also
goes in the jar. I smoke VAs, VA/Pers and Bur/VA/Pers
so it's not gonna be some Frankenstein mixture.
I don't accumulate more than a few bowls
in the jar before I smoke it.

I have a canister just set up for that. A Chuck-it-Bucket.. Short of a bowl stock from tins or containers. I stuff my pipe and let it set to dry so there is no waste there. I stick the stuff in a cob and go out to do chores.. To busy to refine its smoking.. Also I toss a small bag of OTC CH,H&H to mellow it out once in a while..

I like all the different names everyone has for it, I've also heard, "tobacco dumpster"

Williamson":f7jm57wp said:
Cupojoes actually sells the stuff by the pound...
GH Pensioner's Mixture was originally such a mish-mash, and it was discounted. Don't know what it is today.

Buddy

i just smoke the remaining bit in a meerschaum or if its a miniscule amount and not too moist i place a few bits in my favorite books actually and it makes them smell wonderful when i come back to them.

I'm a bit crazy though :bounce:

Let it dry out and crush it into dust...Sprinkle it in the garden or around the outside of the house....it is a great natural insecticide....tobacco dust used to be sold in jars for that purpose....

Jeez, if I've got a pinch left I just toss it in the bowl and top it off with something similar,,,,,

I would think that as you near the end of the tin or jar, you could gauge just how much you need to use so that you don't have any leftover, kind of like planning that last perfect bite from a great plate of food. No? No one else does that?

I usually smoke my leftover bits in a clay. Small bits, small bowl, perfect match. It's a good excuse to fire up the clay every now and again.

Lou

mark":5zphsadz said:
Jeez, if I've got a pinch left I just toss it in the bowl and top it off with something similar,,,,,
Sound advice, and very practical.

Usually I toss it into the next tin/bag I buy of the same stuff, with the exception of those blends I detested and didn't finish off.
Not long ago I heard the 'parfait' style of packing layers, and just tried that with the last of C&D Manhattan Evening, topped off with LNF. Good results (both primarily VAs), if it weren't for getting downpoured on.

skaukatt":x4tl2sc0 said:
I usually smoke my leftover bits in a clay. Small bits, small bowl, perfect match. It's a good excuse to fire up the clay every now and again.

Lou

Great idea (excuse, actually) to get out my 'ol Dutch clay and fire that puppy up.

For me, leftovers are a bit of a non issue, as I mix & parfait a lot anyway, and usually the last pinch of any particular blend is powder and dry, perfect to put on top of a bowl as "gunpowder" to get it going.

Natch