What do you like to drink along with your smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeoffC":ee7r3x3u said:
Well I am a coffee zealot.  Roast my own every week and use a French Press.   But I do think the two were made for each other.   While I do drink liquor while smoking I find that it competes rather then complement the flavor.
Geoff, have you tried the Aeropress or the Clever Coffee Dripper? I was a french press man myself for years but haven't looked back after moving to these two methods.

I generally prefer a complimentary taste. So if I'm drinking coffee(and I like my coffee the opposite of my women, black and thick), I prefer it to be with a sweet tasting OR creamy baccy. So a good Virginia with lots of sugar, or a creamy english Lat like "Artisan's Blend" suit me fine. A dry tasting baccy like Frog Morton dries my mouth out too bad with coffee.

I prefer a good scotch with something that changes in the bowl, like "Bald Headed Teacher". I find that blend goes sweet-spicy-flat-sweet when smoked right. It keeps cleansing the pallette and enhansing the scotch/cognac/brandy.

Sweet iced tea or even a cola( cola twice a year maybe?)goes great with a drier tasting Lat blend like FM.

Best,
cheapsk8

I'm a french press fanatic as well - coffee seems the ideal compliment to me - but I do like a Lagavulin or Laphroig with the pipe as well, particularly English blends (Islay whisky is like liquid latakia to me!).....but also other scotches as well (Balvenie, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie - Dewar's is improved y the pipe!)........

Strong and sweet iced tea on a summer's night is awesome as well....

I find that tea works best for me. Iced in the spring and summer, hot tea in the fall and winter. Either Earl Grey or a nice malty English/Irish Breakfast. Coffee works okay with a simple Burley, but I find it a bit too overbearing when paired with anything moderately complex. If I drink anything alcoholic with a pipe, I usually reach for a mellow malty English ale like Old Speckled Hen, Newcastle, or Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale or Taddy Porter. For me, West Coast style IPA's strip the tobacco flavors from my palate and do not pair well with pipe tobacco.

I unfortunately can't enjoy my single malts anymore, medication issues (surprised?).  Now I have my cup of black tea with cinnamon and caramel in the morning, then it's Coke Zero. It pairs nicely with VaPers with it's caramel backing. I get away from the carbonization issues which does ruin the tobacco flavor, by opening the can and waiting a couple hours eliminating the problem.

Craig

Personally I prefer tea, or perhaps a glass of wine.

I thought it was because the mild acid of the coffee, tea or wine neutralized the basic smoke that might leave a tongue burn, but when I tested the smoke it appears that most of the scorching tobaccos might be acidic.

Anyone have any information besides vague guesses?

The "anti" literature is full of stories of pH manipulation (addition of ammonia) for "better nicotine addition" by the evil tobacco companies.

Oldbear

Depends on the time of day for me. Coffee during the day, but in the evenings which is my preferred smoking time, a wee dram of a single malt. A good Islay is hard to beat!

Old bear posted: I thought it was because the mild acid of the coffee, tea or wine neutralized the basic smoke that might leave a tongue burn, but when I tested the smoke it appears that most of the scorching tobaccos might be acidic.......
......stories of pH manipulation (addition of ammonia) for "better nicotine addition" by the evil tobacco companies."

I do not have the references but it is my understanding that burley is a high ph (basic) leaf and thus a high nic hit. While virginia is more acidic (low PH) and a low nic hit in general.

That is maybe why low ph Virginia is said to need to be sipped slowly to avoid any tongue bit.

BTW my apology for hijacking the thread.

I might try writing up my tests.  I am going through my tobaccos using a water pipe and testing the pH of the smoke after two minutes of puffing.

So far I have had a few nicotine buzzes!

I get pH readings from 5 to 9.5 (about as acidic as vinegar to as alkaline as baking soda) with definite patterns.  The most acidic tobacco was a very cheap black Cavendish that once left me with a two day tongue burn.  Perique comes in at almost pH 9!

My neighbors are absolutely convinced I am smoking something "questionable":

No! Honest! Its just pipe tobacco research!

That was altered burley. Most likely adulterant is sugar which is acidic. Perique is supposed to have a nic hit.
\
Nice test set up. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Coffee (black only)
Hot tea
Bourbon
Scotch
Wine
Other spirits, sometimes.

Poll only allows one vote.

Nice to be retired.