What do you use to shine up your pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurgundyRed

Reaction score
I first looked up this topic under "Paragon" and "Halcyon," two applied by hand waxes. The discussion was rather brief and fell into the pro's and con's of using either on rusticated and sandblasted pipes. Seems to me that rusticated and sandblasted pipes really don't need much than a little rubbed down with a cloth or a cloth treated with some kind of wax. I'm more interested in a discussion about what one should use on a smooth briar. I've also run across "Halcyon II" which I'm not sure if this is the same thing or an improvement. So...I would like to hear from the BoB's collective experience of what works for them: 1) Paragon; 2) Halcyon and/or Halcyon II; 3) Carnauba wax (I understand a solid bar applied to a buffer vs. something like paste is better); or, 4) just a polishing cloth with something added to it for polishing briar pipes. If there is a fifth choice, please add that into the discussion. Thanks

#4 for me...Briar Pipe Wipe. Simple to use, nice shine without that "buffed to newness" glare. I like it fine enough to have never looked for another solution in the 2 years I've been using it.

For daily maintenance I use the older red on red Dunhill pipe polishing cloth and a Selvyt cloth on band and caps. The Dunhill cloth put a nice, natural shine on all my pipes. :shock:

I use Briar pipe wipe, I found it works great on a micro fiber cleaning cloth. It lasts a long time ounce you treat the cloth with it too.

Kyle Weiss":fbr4ysys said:
Forehead grease. *shrug*
This plus the side of one's nose with a final polish/wipe with an old 12" square cut from a flannel shirt years ago. Once in awhile maybe a wheel polish when an opportunity presents itself. :p

Nothing wrong with my pipes becoming part of me, as I become part of them. :twisted: :lol:

Plus, I can't tote a buffing wheel and carnauba wax with me everywhere... *sigh*

I use briar pipe wipe. I have a microfiber cloth that came with my tv. Sprayed it on twice on both sides and its still working great about a year and a half later.

The only way to go is high quality, pure cake carnuba on a proper wheel. In between buffings, which should NOT be done too often at all, a brief handrubbing with a square of good quality chamois keeps things gleaming. For those who smoke old Brit and other such woods, this is a particularly great method because it preserves and enhances those lovely patinas.

Every serious pipe smoker, or at least those who take concern with the exteriors of their pipes, should have, and learn to properly use, a small buffing setup. A whole setup can be had for around $100.

As concerns stummels, a pipe that's been competently waxed has a permanent finish unless there's some incredible environmental factor in play. Assuming they're clean to begin with, simply rubbing them with a soft flannel shirt whenever the impulse arises suffices. This on the basis of pipes gotten new ca. 1975, and estates far older than that -- some gotten at the same time.

Add : It may take them a while to come back around again if they've been neglected for years, but come around again they will once they're clean again.

FWIW

:face:

+1 to microfiber polishing cloths. They'll retain wax for a long while, and are at their best with blasts. OTOH, if you're of a minimalist habit of mind --

I've used Denicare on smooth pipes and been happy with it. I've tried just putting a wee bit on my fingertips and rubbed it into the bowl until the texture changes slightly. Then I stop, no buffing. I like the burnished look this gives, especially in an older pipe.

'Fessing up -- A couple of times I've used clear shoe polish on a bowl :oops: Again, just applied it with my fingertips. I thought it looked fine, though a bit glossy. 'Course it smelled like shoe polish for a little while.

While I do agree that nothing can compare to a buffing wheel and carnauba wax, this setup can create quite a bit of dust once the wax dries on your buffing wheel. Some folks find that is a problem, unless they have a shop environment to do thier buffing.

Paragon wax which is intended for smooth pipes works great, and it works even better when given several days to dry before buffing off the excess with a dry cloth. To get an optimal shine, just barely buff it enough to get a shine, and leave it alone. Excessive buffing will just take the wax back off, and disappoint you with the end result.

The reason these waxes usually don't maintain a great shine long term, is because they allow your pipe to breathe, which is important to the overall function of the briar. You could easily coat your pipes in polyurethane or shellac to maintain a fantastic long term shine, but these will inhibit the briars ability to breathe. Not only will such a coating slow down the process of the pipe drying after smoking, it will also make the pipe smoke hotter during smoking.

As for the Halcyon II wax, which is intended for rusticated pipes, I have not had as much luck with, simply because it can be difficult to polish the pipe in the crevices of the rustication or sandblast. To get the accumulation out of the crevices, I have used the heat of a flame to melt the wax, but again with minimal results.

For rusticated or sandblasted pipe polishing, I think your best bet is to go back the the tried and true buffing wheel with carnauba wax.

...to mention, sometimes carnauba will cake up in certain rustication configurations when applied with a buffing wheel. I found ignoring this and simply smoking the pipe on a warm day fixes this--just enough heat to disperse any waxy buildup.

Todd Harris used a neat rustication technique on one pipe I have that makes the briar almost look and feel like the surface of old brick...it's unwaxed, and looks great. No further maintenance needed. I might ask him to do more like these for me.

8)

buffer and carnuba. in between I've always used a soft cotton cloth. I think I will try that chamois rout for in between buffs. Also, when I go to the buffer I avoid buffing directly over the stamping.

I use an old can of Johnson's (?) original Simonize paste wax that I've had for years. I don't think it is made any more, at least not in the original formulation, which is mostly carnuba. It has a slight hydrocarbon scent, but it dissipates almost instantly. One application lasts forever, in that a soft cloth will bring back the shine when it dulls. Works for me. I don't wax rustication or sandblast.

The easiest way would be to use a hand drill with a buffing wheel and some carnauba wax.

After that make it shine with a cotton towel.

Kyle Weiss":gns7e8ph said:
Forehead grease. *shrug*
I gave this a shot on my glossy pipes and surprised at how well it works along with the oil between nose and cheek. A VERY LITTLE olive oil on stems.

If you want the absolute best shine closest to factory shine its carnauba wax. I actually just got a block yesterday and shined up my pipes with it and its so beautiful it makes me cry. Used a 1500 rpm drill with buffing wheel bit attached and it worked fine. I also ordered paragon wax so ill let you know how that goes as well. However, i realized with asking which works best and what will give an acceptable shine creates alot of confusing feedback. Some say straight paragon wax will give a good shine some say it will only give a good shine only if it had a good coating of carnauba wax first. There are only a couple choices that remain constant favorites though and that is carnauba wax and that micromesh kit. However, from recent personal experience with carnauba wax it gives amazing mirror like deep black finishes. The pipe I used actually went through two different buffs. The stem had oxi on it so i scrubbed it out with a magic eraser down to dull matte black ( factory finish completely stripped). The magic eraser is very fine material so I had no scratches on the stem. Then I used tripoli wax on the stem threw three or so coats on it and made it sparkle. Then I hit the briar with carnauba and voila looks like the pipe just came out of production. Probably more info then you wanted but just wanted to make sure I hit any other thoughts you had on the back burner.

Shine or protect? I don't think any wax really "shines" up a briar pipe as much as it protects the acquired shine. A little white diamond on a buffing wheel really brings up the shine, than a layer or two of carnuba over that protects it. My thought process anyway.