What is your bottom line temp for smoking outside?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Burley":cklh8mut said:
alfredo_buscatti":cklh8mut said:
Other than my beloved cats, I live alone. I smoke pipes and cigars in the house; I hate smoking outside, even when it is temperate. If I ever remarry, one of my conditions will be that I can smoke in the house at will.
Absolutely. If I had to smoke outside in frigid weather, I would give it up, and that ain't gonna happen. I have my priorities. Keeping some whiney slut around isn't one of them.
Have to agree. Looks like we're in the minority but a man has to have his priorities!

:pirat:

Cheers,

RR

Richard Burley":4hio89z0 said:
Absolutely. If I had to smoke outside in frigid weather, I would give it up, and that ain't gonna happen. I have my priorities. Keeping some whiney slut around isn't one of them.
:lol!: Leave it to Richard to be gentle and indirect. :lol:

Frost":4hio89z0 said:
Had a smoke under our deck in a snowstorm last year and it was pretty magical.
Sounds neat. We've had a really weird winter this year got snow in mid-October (which is rare) and haven't had a drop of precipitation fall since--and I was looking forward to a nice snow to go out on the porch for a pipe, too! Last year we got several storms consisting of almost two to three feet a piece and had the largest snowpack in the mountains on record--this year, it's the longest stretch of no precipitation since they've kept records... :lol: Days have been nice, nights have been quite cold... *shrug* Go figure. :lol:

I smoked a bowl of Northwoods last night outside and it was around 22 degrees...not that bad. I smoked the second half of the bowl in the garage while tinkering with my snow blower.

About 27 degrees out this morning. I am really far south so this cold chaps my ass hard, but i do like the cold even when it's below freezing as long as it is not windy. :)

Haven't reached my cut-off low temp recently, as I live in Arkansas and it seldom gets below the mid-20s here. I also have several fire pits in the woods and a portable grill I build a fire in on the porch, so it makes even a night below freezing a rather enjoyable adventure. Sure, I prefer those warm (hot!) balmy (muggy!) nights in summer, but with warm cloths, picking a site out of the wind, and a nice fire going, it's all good.

Natch

Mid-20s, calm, preferably sunny. If the temp drops out of the 40s, I go with a cob. But my fave times are cool, clear evenings in Spring and Fall just as the stars are coming out.

Cartaphilus":nj999hsu said:
Well, that would depend on how long I've gone without a smoke because I don't smoke in the house. But I've been out when it was 27 and a 13 mile hour wind. Yep, a real quick one sir.

I smoke outside of my own choosing because I don't like the smell in the house after awhile. The next day it always smells dirty and funky. Besides the smoke residue gets all over everything in time.
This totally. Sometimes in one of the barns though. The threshold would most likely be around minus 10 degrees or so. Makes for a nice cool smoke.

I smoke outside also, and live in the northern Illinois stateline area, so I have no bottom line temperature for smoking. At the 20° mark, I leave the briars inside and break out a cob (cheaper to replace), and if it's too cold to enjoy it, I stay inside and enjoy a pinch of snuff!

Can't smoke indoors, here. My wife is allergic and the first whiff of smoke---her asthma kicks in. I have sat out in the garage (no insulation) with a small heater in front of me at 20 degrees. I can sit on the porch at 40...for awhile. At 45 I can stay out as long as I want. Upper 30's on the porch is probably my limit.

I smoke in the house, but I have been out with the snow blower at -5 F while smoking a pipe. I have pictures somewhere of my father smoking while shoveling snow in Maine.

Fr_Tom":gwb52hxc said:
I smoke in the house, but I have been out with the snow blower at -5 F while smoking a pipe. I have pictures somewhere of my father smoking while shoveling snow in Maine.  

-5 sounds painful Padre. I clearly remember that while I was a cheesehead, and sometimes the temps could get to -20 or more! Didn't smoke a pipe back then though, but it was brutal. Don't miss that nonsense at all!

Cheers,

RR

I smoke inside when the kids aren't around. But at work I've been out in -10, the pipe makes a nice hand warmer.

I think today was a record for me, 25 F . set up my little nest in the
garage. Roll up door up about 4' a space heater set up in front of my chair.
A hoodie , gloves & an old blanket over my legs.

If I am out in the cold, I am too active to smoke. To be comfortable and idle enough to smoke, maybe 50 degrees in the sun. In front of a nice campfire, then maybe 20, but not where I'm sitting (campfires in the snow with friends, bourbon and pipes are fine times).

My personal record, from living in a camper in the woods, is -17F. I could have smoked inside but there was wood to be chopped, or the indoor temperature would soon have been about -17.

As I get a bit older it seems the cold really gets into my bones so I'd have to say 40 degrees without any type of heating. But, now that I've got one of those fancy shamcy patio heaters on the porch I might be able to withstand a bit more, only time will tell. ;)

AND! Good to see you back and about George, we missed you! :cheers:

I like it to be in the 40's up. The other night I smoked a long bowl in 35 degrees with a slight wind and about half way through I was heading for the garage. The wind made it feel a lot colder than it actually was. Bottom line, if I am thinking about the weather, I am probably not relaxing enough to enjoy my pipe.

May have to reconsider. Sat out on Fri at 32 degrees, sitting in the sun, and it was quite doable. Sat in the garage today with a kerosene heater, sort of working, at 28. It was fine.