What Shape Dominates Your Collection?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to beat a nice classic Billiard; I probably have more of those than anything. A few Dublins, a few Bulldogs; most are straight or at most 1/4 bent. Although I have a few deep bents I rarely smoke them. At one time I was enamored with freehands, but over the years have retained only a couple. I do have a few pipes that are variations on classic shapes but wouldn't call them freehands.

Frankly, I don't even know what my very favorite shape is called. I only have a couple. It would be like the Peterson's in my avatar: straight sided, tapered bowl, slightly bent. Similar to the Yachtsman, perhaps? I seldom find them, and those I have found have typically been smaller than I like.

Frost":sxa1i0ta said:
Tough question for me, I'm all over the map shape wise. Depending on how technical you want to get I guess you could say that the shape I have the most of are straight billiards. Even of that shape though, there are only 3 if you don't count long shanked sutff. Two of 'em are italian in style, although quite different from eachother in the details. The other is danish in style, so even amongst the same shape there is quite a bit of variation.

Now that I think about it though, there are also 3 bulldogs and 3 dublins in my collection, but two are bent and one is straight for the doggies and vice versa for the dublins...so I guess the short and easy answer to your question is...
Love your cabinet Frost...very nice

MisterE":xrqxglob said:
itsKot":xrqxglob said:
Lovats, lumbermen, and canadians here.
+1 but in reverse order. In my current rotation I have 7 Canadians and 1 Billiard.
Canadians, Liverpools and Billiards for me. They look classic; they smoke well. :cheers:

most of my pipes are bent to some degree---favorite shape is bulldog;

rhodie and author close on heels

Just about all my pipes have some degree of bent-ed-ness.

Lets see:

bent pipes
1 freehand
1 sitter
1 slightly bent tomato
1 slightly bent bulldog
1 chuchwarden
1 cob

unbent
1 billiard
2 cobs

I have a lot of pipes in a lot of shapes but the Castello shape 15 the chubby billiard/pot dominates. :shock:

Full Bents, long stem and thick walled larger bowls, Stocky pipes, A smoking instrument that doubles for a bludgeoning weapon :lol: kidding...kinda

Something you hold with your hand not pinch between your fingers,

Hey frost I noticed you have a churchwarden. How do you like it? I have had one on my mind awhile and just havent brought myself to get one.

No consistency. The shape that I like the least is the billiard unless they are group 1/2s. Have a couple of Canadians but they aren't in my rotation. I prefer squat bowls both straight and bent, mostly apple, brandy, prince.

I like large detailed carved Meerschaums followed by the “dominating” large bent stem Freehand briars,

I like Volcano’s, Sitters, Pokers and 40 - 60's era Classics, Bulldogs and my Cobra.

I luv each pipe for it's own beauty and detail, but if I could own only one shape it would be Volcano.

Probably bulldogs. I've got a pretty good mix, though. I like pretty much standard shapes but I like them better if they have a bit of a "wrinkle". As an example, the large Tinsky I'm smoking now is panelled. I think it's the little "wrinkles" that add character to a pipe.

Charlie R

After looking through my small collection, I don't really have a shape that dominates. Glancing at my herd, there's a billiard, cherrywood, canadian, apple, bulldog, a couple dublins...no rhyme or reason, I guess I just go with whatever I see that catches my eye. One shape that I really dig is the Castello #55. I have one from Castello, then one of Rad Davis' renditions of it.