what type of pipe for each tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytyer

Reaction score
How do i determine what the best pipe to smoke virginias or latakia,or
aromatics would be? Does one form of tobacco smoke better in a thicker briar? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

About the only one that I've really held to lately is if I'm smoking a flake without rubbing it out I do it in a small (narrow) bowl. Like around 18-19 mm. Other than that no real rule, except when you stumble upon a great combo, then I usually dedicate that pipe to that blend.

jhuggett":o0oyj1pc said:
About the only one that I've really held to lately is if I'm smoking a flake without rubbing it out I do it in a small (narrow) bowl. Like around 18-19 mm. Other than that no real rule, except when you stumble upon a great combo, then I usually dedicate that pipe to that blend.
Ditto.

Ahhh grasshopper,,,the answers you seek are as complex as the seasonal winds,,,,the winter gale will guide you with strong direction,,,the renewing spring gust will part the clouds and make things clear,,, the summer breeze offers relaxation and gently accompanies you down a different path,,,autumn winds will offer only to remind you the answer to your quest is as plentiful as the many leaves it strips from the mighty oak tree,,,,and yet you must continue your quest, and in doing so gain the wisdom from all the grains of sand on the oceans shores,,only to realize at the end of your journey the true answer lies within you yourself,,,

mark":m1ztied6 said:
Ahhh grasshopper,,,the answers you seek are as complex as the seasonal winds,,,,the winter gale will guide you with strong direction,,,the renewing spring gust will part the clouds and make things clear,,, the summer breeze offers relaxation and gently accompanies you down a different path,,,autumn winds will offer only to remind you the answer to your quest is as plentiful as the many leaves it strips from the mighty oak tree,,,,and yet you must continue your quest, and in doing so gain the wisdom from all the grains of sand on the oceans shores,,only to realize at the end of your journey the true answer lies within you yourself,,,
Mark, what you smoken, bro? And can I buy it legally in Arkansas? :mrgreen:

My experiences have taken me to conclusions quite opposite of most here as to what style pipe or shape and size of bowl smoke what tobaccos best. I've really been into English flakes the past few years, and find them best in wide, shallow bowls, (23mm x 35mm is just about perfect for me). When I get a new or estate pipe, I usually break it in with a pretty mild Virginia and see how it does, then try some scented flakes for a few bowls, then some English blends, and so on. If it doesn't sing with one particular type of tobacco, I'll try again a few months later, giving it a couple of bowls of the various types to see where it seems to want to settle in. Eventually, it will find it's home, and if not, it becomes a tester or delegated to the occasional aromatic bowl.

To my tastes (or lack thereof) I find that most of my Virginia and vaper pipes are straight billiards and lovats , most of my burley blends are at least 1/2 bent or more and often rusticated, most of my English pipes are 1/2 bent and have large bowls, and my flake pipes are described above. This general "rule" for me holds about 3/4 of the time, but each category has several outlier pipes that seem to smoke that blend well, but have a shape quite different than most.

Just my experience,

Natch

the best answer is that you need to experiment and find out for yourself.
However, I can tell you my perceptions. I like Canadians (long-shanked pipes) for most VAs. If you're a burley smoker, you need to find a Wiley that appeals to you.

That's about all i've figured out. :)

i'm still searching for the perfect bowlf or english and latakia. I like these so much that almost all pipes will do. I am starting to think Dublins are good for latakia.

Oh for VA flakes, I like squat bulldogs (like the club pipe here or last years Tinsky X mas pipe). MY KW 13bs are smoking flakes well too.

I must add that this is only my opinion, and other tastes may vary. But maybe we have similar tastes.

Oh one other thing: my Tinsky pokers smoke burley well. Remember that every one is different, bud. but maybe this can lead you in the right direction.

In my personal experience (your mileage may vary) I tend to favor larger bowls for English and burley blends, medium size bowls for Virginia's and Virginia/Periques, and small bowls for flakes or blends that need rubbed out such as G&H Curly Cut and Curly Cut Deluxe or Orlick Golden Slices. Aromatics (when I smoke them, which isn't that often) I tend to use medium to large bowls. In my experience you need to experiment to get the right bowl/blend combination that is the most comfortable for you and gives you the best smoke. Sometimes that means matching up a certain blend to a certain pipe. The quest never ends. :pipe:

In my vast experience (a whole year now),
I haven't yet noticed any real patterns. I'll grab a
large or small pipe depending on how long I wanna
smoke at that moment; like I choose a cigar sized to how
long I wanna smoke.
As far as deciding which team a pipe gets dedicated to,
it's pretty much Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe. But at the moment
I'm nuts for VAs, so all new pipes are VA pipes. :lol:

Mikem":7cb39tzf said:
In my personal experience (your mileage may vary) I tend to favor larger bowls for English and burley blends, medium size bowls for Virginia's and Virginia/Periques, and small bowls for flakes or blends that need rubbed out such as G&H Curly Cut and Curly Cut Deluxe or Orlick Golden Slices. Aromatics (when I smoke them, which isn't that often) I tend to use medium to large bowls. In my experience you need to experiment to get the right bowl/blend combination that is the most comfortable for you and gives you the best smoke. Sometimes that means matching up a certain blend to a certain pipe. The quest never ends. :pipe:
That makes sense, Mike. The pipes I use for flakes are smaller bowls. The quest may never end, but it sure is a fun journey. Wileys conical drilling though seems to bring out my burleys. If y'all are into this PA stuff, try it in a Wiley. But it may be that they are somewhat larger bowls. I've sold or traded all my huge Wileys, but I kept a few and they are dedicated to burleys other than my bent calabashish pipe which I use for English (also a good-sized bowl).

Good thread guys.

I wonder what I'll smoke in this:
monkey10.jpg

Banana peels? :lol: