What Was Your English Crossover?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there are "crossover" blends, then there are light-on-the-latakia English blends. Back when I hated latakia, even the lights I found repellant. EMP, Presby, 965, even Frogmorton would not have made the cut. Just sayin'.

Of course, the question is, crossing over from what?

Hiram-2011":4m4umj6p said:
Not a crossover but what first got me into English blends was Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.  It has enough orientals and va's in it to subdue the latakia.  Although I tend to smoke stronger latakia blends now, Emp is still a favorite first smoke of the day for me.
+1

Richard Burley":ign6w36j said:
Of course, the question is, crossing over from what?
I mainly smoke Butternut Burley, 3 Blind Moose, McC FMC 2000, PS LTF, PS Bullseye, Night Train......... Those are the ones in my main rotation. I have misc others that are Va, VaPer, and burley blends.

I know I originally suggested Frog Morton (original), but if you like VaPers, you're obviously not put off by perique.

I happen to have an open tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou right now - quite mild (I suggest a big bowl, smoked very, very slowly to get the most out of it), enough latakia to show you what it's all about and a bit of perique just for fun.

PM me your address if you'd like to try some and I'll gladly shoot you a sample.

Edit:

I also have some lat-based blends from Cousin's you could try (Brick and Mortar stores in Westlake, downtown Cleveland, and out here on the east side, as well).

I "crossed over" so many years ago that my "crossed" tobaccos don't exist anymore (BS759, John Cotton's #1 & 2, Bertram's various blends, etc.)!!! Today, if asked I would recommend the original Frog Morton, Spillman's Mixture, Lanes BS-005, and DH's Mild, Medium, and London Mixtures. As with any list such as this, I can also do 5 more, and 5+ more after that!!!!!! Good luck :cheers: FTRPLT

I was big into Lat blends over 10 yrs ago but my tastes have changed and I now only occasionally partake of them.

Back then, I was primarily into Bengal Slices, Balkan Sobranie, London Mixture, and the like.

Cheers,

RR