What watch you wearing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergencabin

Reaction score
I figure there must be some crossover with watches and pipes.
My current favorite watch is my Tudor Black Bay with red dial. It's my best watch, and the watch that I wear the most.
Would like to see what you guys wear as well.
wqd.jpeg

I have maybe 45 or so watches. Used to collect them and wore a different one almost every day at work. The last couple of years since retiring I wear the same 3 or 4 most of the time. My fav was an Invicta copy of the Rolex Submariner. It was an automatic and kept excellent time. I liked it best because of the 28 mm band which made it very comfortable on my big wrist. Unfortunately it quit working a few months ago and not worth the cost of having it repaired.

I have maybe 45 or so watches. Used to collect them and wore a different one almost every day at work. The last couple of years since retiring I wear the same 3 or 4 most of the time. My fav was an Invicta copy of the Rolex Submariner. It was an automatic and kept excellent time. I liked it best because of the 28 mm band which made it very comfortable on my big wrist. Unfortunately it quit working a few months ago and not worth the cost of having it repaired.
Oh nice! That's a very big collection.

I can't stand having something on my wrist (and also found out I hate having heavy stuff in my pocket, so no pocket watches either), but I think watches are very cool. A long time ago, I worked for the manager of one of the top 10% in sales Rolex shops in the USA. I handled a lot of watches...a lot of very cool watches. They tried to X-mas bonus me a Tudor Submariner, but there was no way my conscience could allow that. They were around $675 cost back then. I knew I'd sell it, or at least nag at me to sell it, so there was no point in such a nice gift. I can't believe how much they are now. When guys would buy Rolexes, they would trade in their watches, which was more of an enticement than any great value to either the shop or the customer. One of the watches hanging out in the cups (solo cups full of watches and parts) was a Seiko Bullhead Chronograph. I made a remark about how cool it was, because it was goofy looking and gigantic. They serviced it and gave it to me. It sat in a box for many years, and at some point, I gifted it to a friend of mine who likes watches. At that time, it went for around $80 on ebay. Since the John Mayer and Ed Sheeran watch explosion of the past...what, 5-7 years?...that stupid f'ing watch is now anywhere from $300-700. Mine was in very good shape too. Not perfect, but a lot nicer than many of the ones being sold on ebay. And I also made the mistake of watching some youtube videos about how well those watches are regarded. I'm not sorry I gave it away, but I also acknowledge I would have never knowingly given away a watch that can't be replaced for less than $500.

I could go into it about pocket watches, because I actually did collect those for a while. One of my favorite watches was a pocket watch I bought for $10 at a small farm town pharmacy. They had a whole display of these pocket watches that must've been from the 70s and for disposable consumption for the farmer clientel. The darn thing kept decent time too. As one does, they eventually open up the thing, and half the parts were plastic. Really, the springs and pins were the only things metal in there. All the cogs and levers and whatever were plastic. It was the last watch I've actually used.

Oh nice! That's a very big collection.
Yep, but I don't wear most of them anymore. Maybe I will post them on here and let the guys choose which one they want and gift them. The one I won't get rid of is my Seiko Orange Monster dive watch. Good down to 300 meters or almost 1000 ft. Glows like a headlight at 300.

Watches are an expensive collectible. I used to own a fair number…now gone. Currently a half dozen, plus. Mostly Seiko divers or field designs. One Casio solar, world time clock, temp, relative humidity, altitude, cooks eggs…etc. My current everyday is the ultimate in simplicity. It’s a Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical. I wind it every day…like clockwork.

IMG_7446.pngIMG_7448.png

My fav was an Invicta copy of the Rolex Submariner. It was an automatic and kept excellent time. I liked it best because of the 28 mm band which made it very comfortable on my big wrist. Unfortunately it quit working a few months ago and not worth the cost of having it repaired.
My first "nice" watch was likely the same Invicta submariner knock-off. I bought it before interviewing with my department to help look more put-together. It lost a little time every year, but I think I paid about $100 for it (which was a lot for me at the time), and really couldn't complain.

I remember having an older gentleman come into my old work once and comment that we had the same watch. Except his actually was a Rolex. He was shocked that mine wasn't.

I've since added a black Seiko dive watch (similar style, I couldn't tell you the model) which I wear if I won't be near a power source for days. Otherwise it's an Apple watch. The Apple watch doesn't get me excited at all, but is convenient when I'm working.

I always liked watches, but the more I looked at and shopped around for them, the submariner-style dive watch was about the only style that I ever wanted to spend my money on.

Yeah…the ubiquitous black Seiko dive watch. Mine is my number two favorite. It’s one of the basic models nicknamed “the Samurai”. It’s one of the very few watches I’ve tried where the original band actually fit my super large wrist.

IMG_7600.jpeg

My first "nice" watch was likely the same Invicta submariner knock-off. I bought it before interviewing with my department to help look more put-together. It lost a little time every year, but I think I paid about $100 for it (which was a lot for me at the time), and really couldn't complain.

I remember having an older gentleman come into my old work once and comment that we had the same watch. Except his actually was a Rolex. He was shocked that mine wasn't.

I've since added a black Seiko dive watch (similar style, I couldn't tell you the model) which I wear if I won't be near a power source for days. Otherwise it's an Apple watch. The Apple watch doesn't get me excited at all, but is convenient when I'm working.

I always liked watches, but the more I looked at and shopped around for them, the submariner-style dive watch was about the only style that I ever wanted to spend my money on.
I liked my Seiko Orange Monster for diving, but the Invicta Submariner clone was a great everyday waych. While still working I had several gold or silver toned dress watches. One silver toned invicta looks almost exactly like the Omega Seamaster. When I joined the Rangers I added a Casio G Shock Mudmaster. Keeps great time and almost indestructible. Still wear it when riding trails.

Maybe you guys can talk about your favorite bands in this thread? Like I said, I didn't like the weight and feeling of anything on my wrist, but I also didn't like how bands tugged on the hair on my wrist. I tried a few too. Speidel (an obvious nightmare for hairy arms), oyster style, fishbone style. Rubber band. The only band that didn't drive me nuts in itself was a nylon fabric band. That aforementioned Seiko chronograph had a fishbone band that was awful. It felt like someone was constantly tweezering the hairs out of my wrist. People probably wondered why I was saying "Ouch!" to myself all the time, thinking I was nuts. "Oh, it's just this awful watch band attacking me and us battling it out."

Is there such thing as a metal band that is specifically designed for someone with hairy arms? I like the way nylon bands look just fine, but they don't work with all watch aesthetics.

Maybe you guys can talk about your favorite bands in this thread? Like I said, I didn't like the weight and feeling of anything on my wrist, but I also didn't like how bands tugged on the hair on my wrist. I tried a few too. Speidel (an obvious nightmare for hairy arms), oyster style, fishbone style. Rubber band. The only band that didn't drive me nuts in itself was a nylon fabric band. That aforementioned Seiko chronograph had a fishbone band that was awful. It felt like someone was constantly tweezering the hairs out of my wrist. People probably wondered why I was saying "Ouch!" to myself all the time, thinking I was nuts. "Oh, it's just this awful watch band attacking me and us battling it out."

Is there such thing as a metal band that is specifically designed for someone with hairy arms? I like the way nylon bands look just fine, but they don't work with all watch aesthetics.
Does it have to be metal? I have several nice watches with leather bands and I find them very comfortable. Also Invicta makes several styles that are metal and rubber but they are usually larger and somewhat heavy.

Or maybe just shave your wrist, LOL.

I own about 30 watches,my favorite is a Tissot that was given to me as a gift. It`s a dress watch and does not get used often. 2 nd favorite is a Vostok-Europe auto that I wear occasionally. I have a few Swiss legends that I really like. I was buying Invicta`s,but they seem to crap out after about a year or so.Most of the Invicta`s I have seen lately are big,bulky and gaudy looking to me.

My Invicta Grand Diver that unfortunately no longer works. Think I paid maybe $150 for it. Wore it for at least 10 years. Zeno, check out the others. All Invitas with bands I find very comfortable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108_171655_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_171655_Photo Editor.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108_171633_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_171633_Photo Editor.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108_171606_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_171606_Photo Editor.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108_171451_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_171451_Photo Editor.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108_171417_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_171417_Photo Editor.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 0
I own about 30 watches,my favorite is a Tissot that was given to me as a gift. It`s a dress watch and does not get used often. 2 nd favorite is a Vostok-Europe auto that I wear occasionally. I have a few Swiss legends that I really like. I was buying Invicta`s,but they seem to crap out after about a year or so.Most of the Invicta`s I have seen lately are big,bulky and gaudy looking to me.
That is true of some of them. I like automatic self winding watches. I have several Invictas and with the exception of the Grand Diver they all still work.

Just for comparison. An Omega Seamaster 300, a $5000 watch and my Invicta automatic Grand Diver that I got for maybe $130 over 10 years ago. Still runs fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108_172934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_172934_Chrome.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231108_173215_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_173215_Gallery.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 0
Does it have to be metal? I have several nice watches with leather bands and I find them very comfortable. Also Invicta makes several styles that are metal and rubber but they are usually larger and somewhat heavy.
No, sir. Thanks for this post and the others. I'm not sure why I've never given leather a big consideration. I wash my hands a lot and am constantly cleaning things. Kind of always been that way too. The dogs used to be the source of constant wet joy, with nature walks and camping or whatever. That was yet another reason I never wore that Seiko. It doesn't even pretend to be water resistant. I'm not diving or even plunging to the bottom of a pool, but playing in water is a constant. I'm not against throwing some protectant on leather once a week, so maybe it's time to consider that.