Whats the oldest tobacco you have smoked and was it worth it??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurinsRest

Reaction score
I'm curious about this because I recently bought a lot of older tobacco from an estate sale and got a couple 1990s tins of C&D mixtures and I cant wait to crack them and taste !!

1922 Buckingham Mixture (mostly burley), mid-1920s Half & Half, mid-1920s Velvet, mid-1920s Prince Albert. I was gifted all of them, and for the most part they held up well.

I've had a few blends from the 1940s and 1950s -- none were great (in fact, all were well past their prime), but none were complete duds and they were interesting!

Had some McClellands No 24 Virginia from 1979 which was very tasty. I bought it off ebay back when you could sell tobacco on there. It came in its own wax sealed paper wrapping and I had to open the tin with a can opener.

I only smoked a few bowls and jarred the rest. Will have to go dig it up again as it was a delightful smoke.

Had some McClellands No 24 Virginia from 1979 which was very tasty. I bought it off ebay back when you could sell tobacco on there. It came in its own wax sealed paper wrapping and I had to open the tin with a can opener.

I only smoked a few bowls and jarred the rest. Will have to go dig it up again as it was a delightful smoke.
Good god thats got to be an insanely good smoke. Oldest tin i have so far is a 98 brigadier from C&D and i have yet to crack it

A few very old blends that were alright. Different. Probably from the late 1930's through the 1960's.

The most memorable was a very good cutter top tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild. From the early 1960's. I was led to believe that Standard Mixture used to be available in Mild, Medium, and Full. I've always been on the lookout for a tin of Full. Never seen one.

I had acquired a tin of Mick McQuaid Ready Rubbed which was another old and delicious blend. It was probably from the 1970's. Maybe older.

My cellar has a fair amount of 25 year old stuff, and newer.

A few very old blends that were alright. Different. Probably from the late 1930's through the 1960's.

The most memorable was a very good cutter top tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild. From the early 1960's. I was led to believe that Standard Mixture used to be available in Mild, Medium, and Full. I've always been on the lookout for a tin of Full. Never seen one.

I had acquired a tin of Mick McQuaid Ready Rubbed which was another old and delicious blend. It was probably from the 1970's. Maybe older.

Wow!! thats goals! I've been smoking pipe for about 12 years now and just in the past 2 years have i had enough extra income to start building my cellar. The years before that was simply buy and smoke lol XD. But i feel like i started off with some solid blends and it ruined me for later stuff. My first every bowl of pipe tobacco was McClelland's blue mountain and that was immediately followed but my drama reserve, frog, and orlik dark Kentucky's! Which im really wanting to find a orlik dark kentuckys again havent had that in years.

Carlos, at least in the mid 1960's and just a bit later, DH Standard Mixture Full was my "go to" tobacco along with BS 759. I don't know when DH/Murrays stopped blending the "Full." And like you, I have never seen one since!! I've watched eBay (back when tobacco could be sold there), other sites, done Google searches, and scrounged garage sales looking for it...No luck at all!! Found lots of other good stuff, but not DH Standard Full!!!!! FTRPLT

I have enjoyed pipe smoking and trying different blends for 60 years. The oldest tobaccos I have smoked include Balkan Sobranie cutter tops from the 1940's as well as Dunhill Blends from the 40's as well.
I have been very fortunate to have smoked many a tin of Dunhill Full. My collection included cutter tops of the Dunhill line as well.
I have mentioned some boutique blenders like Mel Feldman, Russ O, Joe Lankford as well as a few others. However, the aged and processed tobaccos from the great blending houses of England were the best in my opinion. Sobranie went through many iterations, however my favorites were the tins from the 60's and 70's.
Today Germain makes some wonderful blends, although not easy to find. It is unfortunate that the prices for blends like Penzance are so high. I would purchase 8oz packages of Penzance for less than $30.00 10 years ago.
If you are looking for some of the old time quality mixtures, consider today, Robert Lewis Tree mixture or Sillems London Mixture, Skiff mixture and Peterson Standard mixture.
I enjoy the Blends from Ken Byron as well as the many wonderful Wilke Blends. Peretti in Boston is a wondferful blender. I love the "Omega" blend.
Well I managed to ramble too much. I guess the answer is the very best blend I ever smoked is the one I am smoking tonight. If it feels right, tastes right then you have found it !!. Enjoy your pipes and tobaccos!