What's your favourite Movie Soundtrack?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiemike

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
From the mid 1980s until not that long ago before the likes of Spotify I would buy CD movie sound tracks that I enjoyed from movies.
I think my first one was "Dirty Dancing" I will list a few that I have bought that I can remember without going through all my cds.

"Blues Brothers"
"Good morning Vietnam"
"Forest Gump"
"Reservoir Dogs"
"Pulp Fiction"
"teenage mutant ninja turtles"
"The Commitments"

Be interested if anyone else would buy movie soundtracks CDs if so which ones?

Must be an old codger. My favorite is still The Sound of Music.
Funny story it was showing at a local cinema and I was about 10 years old at the time seeing it with mum, dad and brother in a packed house. The trailer for "American Gigolo" came on before the movie.
When the trailor finished and alllll was quite I piped up with a "Dad whats a Gigolo" the whole audience pissed themselves laughing :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: and I didnt know why :unsure:

The sound of music was so popular it was still playing at the cinemas and drive ins like 10 years after it came out and I saw it many times at both.

I like the Forrest Gump soundtrack. I am partial to Thomas Newman's soundtracks, and Road to Perdition, especially. James Newton Howard's soundtrack to Searching for Bobby Fischer. And, of course, John Barry, famed for the James Bond films, and other films like Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa. John Williams has composed a soundtrack or two you might recognize. 😏

Last edited:
Probably "Out of Africa". My wife and I both loved the movie, bought the soundtrack, and played it relentlessly. My kids still remember going to sleep with "Siyawe" playing in the background. These days I tend to pick out individual songs like "Trying to Leave Something Behind" by Sean Rowe from The Accountant, "Fall Away Blues," by Red Tail Ring (can't remember where it came from), "Echo" by Mandolin Orange (can't remember that one either). Often it seems they're the song playing at the end while the credits run and are not an integral part of the film.

I could think of no other soundtrack that so perfectly, so beautifully, fit the movie and with just a few bitter-sweet refrains, evoked that whole, vintage era in which the story took place.

The movie: "The Sting" -1973. Scott Joplin died in 1917, and finally got his long due recognition as one of America's greatest composers.

Although Blues Brothers is a close 2nd.
I also bought "The Blues Brothers Band Live in Montreux" and "Best of The Blues Brothers" good CDs.

1712791166278.png

1712791198070.png

Full Metal Jacket is a good pick. Kubrick knew his sounds.

I tend to go for the synthy ones, like Halloween II, Escape from New York, and John Carpenter's The Thing, but those westerns wtih Ennio Morricone music are also great. Piero Umiliani did some really nice soundtrack work too.