What's your pocketknife?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...inspired from LIPIPE's thread about what we carry in our pockets...

I'm not a "knife guy," I don't have a box/drawer/cabinet full.

I do, however, feel that a pocketknife is an essential part of a "guy's effects" that sure come in handy when you least (or most) expect it. Letters, impromptu pipe tool, that stubborn mustache hair that goes up your nose, goin' after a chunk of cheese at the art gallery, fishing, hunting, fingernail cleaning, etc.

Because I like a knife to fit nicely in the "coin pocket" of a pair if jeans, a sleek, narrow design is preferable over a blocky pocket knife, but that's just my way.

I'm a fan of the Van Hoy Snap Lock system from CRKT (love that company)...a funky, side-folding design that takes some getting used to, but gives a balance between a good, solid blade, straight edge and sleek design:

vanhoy-snaplock.jpg

...and this little Gerber (sans the flashlight):

e2e06.jpg

I'd like to pick up a nice, thinner Case (or similar) knife with a sheepsfoot blade and maybe one other opposing blade, but haven't come across any quite yet. Most of them are too wide (folded) or too small.

What's your everyday carry knife?

By default, a Leatherman Wave (the kind with the blades opening on the outside like a lockback knife) in a belt pouch. I used to carry a "tactical" type clip knife in my pocket as well, but it came down to "weapon vs. tool", and thankfully I found myself reaching for the tool a lot more often. So now it's just the Leatherman unless I'm dressed well enough that a belt pouch would look stupid. Then I make do with the tiny little Victorionox pen knife on my key ring.

I also have a Leatherman-- a Blast. I just don't carry it in my pocket.

Funny story on that one--a romantic involvement that went sour ended up me adopting this really old piece of crap Leatherman from WAY back in the day, probably the original, with a broken tip on the blade, missing a tool, etc--contacted Leatherman to see if they'd fix it (they are a great company, in Portland, lifetime warranty, etc) and they ended up asking me if they could keep it for their archives (apparently it was a REALLY early model) and if they could send me a Blast for a trade. I wanted a tool rather than a collector's item, so I said, "Sure!" :lol: I love that tool. Leatherman all the way. 8)

My EDC is a Case Trapper with the classic yellow handles. I have a carbon fiber and rosewood Benchmade that my son gave me that is my "good" knife, and one of those little Gerbers in Kyles photo that I sometimes clip to the waistband of my jeans (I also EDC pretty much that same Surefire). While I don't carry them on my person, a Leatherman Wave, a Gerber LMF 2 and a Victorinox Champ are always close at hand.

I do have to admit to having literally a drawer full of knives, mostly Case, a few other Benchmades and a bunch of SWAK's but these 3 are my normal carries.

Please avert your eyes from the filthy computer and table and concentrate on the knife...strictly the knife please.
00511.jpg
[/url][/img]

00611.jpg
[/url][/img]

00711.jpg
[/url][/img]

I'm like Hunter, but I only carry one pocket knife, the same one I got when I graduated from High School from my father my old Yellow Delrin handled Case Trapper model with it's two Carbon Steel blades. I used it in 'Nam (I was a combat corpsman) and it's got cracked and broken scales on it now but the steel still takes and holds a sharp edge and it still closes well and slides in my pocket like it belongs there :p When ya have a good knife ya don't need another ( per the KISS principles of life :p ) Here's a pic of the current version, not really changed all that much, just the blade steel and of course the price!!. I recall mine sold for around $9.00 back then. :p

ca161h1.jpg

I carry the Fairbarin Applegate combat folder, its a great knife, has never let me down.

I collect pocket knives, mostly custom, but right now in my pocket there is a Spyderco Paramilitary in D2. I carry a different knife every day.

I carry a SOG Twitch 1. It was a gift from a friend. I also carry a Leatherman in bag with me at all times. I use the knife at least once a day.

9gTZn3qEgmx377xHN-6gzZ0HumJJ4r6UmK0qTrUJDEMznOdvgUMgXrUC5RI55XkUlUnI5yP8UfYQLOLcgmbnHE3M_TiK_KNnlwSSwW6_6bgO73sLUekQp3mLjO8GlFOm1MaXdWA6aWajxa3_3uJDarEjv0Z_CPOXHb9dKx6LTxmUhGNhq0Ou

This never out of my reach and rarely out of my pocket. Boker Tree Brand Stockman. My all time favorite.
pocketknive.jpg

IMG154.jpg

This is what Im carrying now. Its a rough rider lock blade so it dosent close on my fingers. Not expencive, but looks nice with bone handles. And a pocket knife gets run through the ringer with me.

A little Kershaw lockblade. Always in my pocket. Had it for years.

I've got a nice Leatherman knife which has never let me down. Twas a gift a few years back. I've always had an eye for Kershaws, though and now I may just have to pick one up!

sa59112x1000.jpg

Been carrying this since the early 90s. The short blade tip broke off and I reground it. And one of the red sides fell off but I refastened it with liquid nails.

Still, it comes in handy almost every day.

Cheers,

RR

Hey Brewdude! The Vic Tinker was my trusty sidekick for a decade or more before the Leatherman came along. Nice to see someone else shares the love.

Yep, me too. I find the Victorinox Tinker to be the most useful everyday knife and almost always carry mine, usually in my watch pocket. Wish the main blade locked.

Richard Burley":0dvu8hr4 said:
Yep, me too. I find the Victorinox Tinker to be the most useful everyday knife and almost always carry mine, usually in my watch pocket. Wish the main blade locked.
Although I'm a Leatherman user, I still keep a pair of Tinkers on hand (one old, one unused, both oiled and sharp) for camping and such, when I don't want all that weight and bulk. You can't really call folding pliers a "pocket knife".