When you finish a great bowl....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIPIPE

Reaction score
I find frequently that I finish a great bowl and I'm not ready to be finished so I'm disappointed. I know I've chosen a great pipe and I smoke the blends that I like so I immediately load up for an additional bowl. I was wondering what other guys do. Do you say "oh well" or do you immediately smoke some more? I find that I need and prefer larger bowl pipes so that the pleasure lasts longer especially when I am reading or on the computer because I lose myself in my smoke and then it is over, seemingly, in no time.

When I am done having a great combo smoke I smell the empty bowl of the pipe and close my eyes to give it thanks.. I then let the pipe cool down for a couple hours and have another bowl of another favorite from another pipe.. I use two pipes on rotation each day and rotate those to two more the next day.. But I have Other cobs and meers I use for special smoking blends which I really savor.. So I spread out the time of a great combo for the next 24 hours so as not to spoil the special time.. Absence make the heart grow fonder they say.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..

When I have the time, and I've had an especially good bowl, I like to pour a new cup of joe and load up a *different* blend. I know my smoking technique is in the groove on those days, and variety keeps me from overloading the senses.

If I've had a great smoke, I try not to push my luck. If I've had a bad one, then I load up for another round!

I have had similar thoughts LIPIPE, having said that let me lend an anecdote which has changed my mind on the subject.

Earlier in my smoking career,(7 years ago actually), I was in the habit of smoking fine cuban cigars as my Dad worked in Cuba and i could get my hands on some really fine leaf on the cheap. I was having a great new years eve smoking a esplendido and it was life changing how good it tasted and smoked! I was also on a steady diet of crown and cola at the time which might have contributed to that :drunken: . Then i thought wow, that was the best smoke i have ever had and i still have 24 left to go! So what could be the harm in lighting up another one? Needless to say i was smoked out and green in the gills for the rest of the night and i can't remember being so sick.

I know pipe tobacco is different and i was drinking but i still to this day am a little wary of instantly lighting up again back-to-back. Also i am one of those people who always gives their pipe rest for a day. Even my Meerschaums! Its ingrained into my head now so when i do have those great smokes i give a nod to the smoking Gods and say thanks.

I usually smoke only 2-3 bowls a week, but I take note of when I've had a particularly good smoke, and relish the experience I had.

Patrick":eiy3udj8 said:
I usually smoke only 2-3 bowls a week, but I take note of when I've had a particularly good smoke, and relish the experience I had.
I only smoke a few times a week as well, and find I really look forward to, and appreciate, a relaxing smoke.

My pipe is like the old vaudeville/showmanship line, "leave them wanting more". Very rarely will I smoke two bowls one after the other, I've usually got something to do that takes me away from my pipes, and it tends to fry my tongue.

I like Chuck's post, smell the bowl and give thanks. We tend to overlook the little blessings and peaceful moments we are granted, perhaps we should be more grateful for them?

Natch

As the great stooge Curly once said:

"if at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking until you suck seeds."

late nights I'm often inclined to load two bowls of english ( one medium one full) within a 3 or 4 hour timeframe.

I love the traits and varying degrees of fullness in tobaccos, but when I really want a heavy dose of Vitamin N I'll load up the nightcap or Hal o the wynds and one bowl will do the trick.

I always smoke the entire bowl, let it rest, stir the ashes and cover and shake, then let it rest till the next session.

I will ocasionally extend it by adding a pinch of tobacco, particularly, say, if I'm smoking while driving and I've still got a little way to go when the pipe finishes. I do have to be really careful about this though because it would cause an uneven cake. Anyway, I don't do it all the time.

Well, it's only recently that I started smoking the kind of tobacco that could deliver a sublime experience. However, my take on it is relatively similar to the brothers who have already weighed in. I view it in the transience of life lens. That specific moment of peace, tranquility, or introspection was here and gone. No other moment will be identical, not at least to our own ability of understanding. I fight it sometimes, but most I just accept it and move on. That doesn't equate to sadness for me, however. It equates rather to memory of a moment passed and its inherent reflection; the moments that are yet to come.

In practical terms, yes, I do on occasion instantly load up another bowl. But more often than not I'll just put the pipe down, take a deep breath, and continue down the path.

I can honestly say I sometimes want another bowl, but I rarely if ever have one. Part of it is the economics of smoking a lot; it's just too damn expensive to smoke bowl after bowl of the good pipeweed. I'm all for multiple bowls throughout the day. I often have three or four, but I usually need a break between (or during) bowls. Like Natch, I'm often pulled away before I could get to a second.

Also, the few times I've had two in a row, I've noticed diminishing returns - as good as that first bowl is, rarely do I enjoy the second as much, and if so it's only through the first third or so. Then fatigue sets in and I'm ready to set the pipe down for a bit. I do tend to smoke 'heavy' english/balkan blends. I might do better on back-to-back smokes with something lighter.

As a kirsten owner and student, I find myself going back-to-back (to-back) with the pipe fairly frequently, but usually that perfect smoke isn't followed with another, sadly.

Emerald reflects my thoughts exactly, (though I own no Kirstens). I simply lay down the pipe, satisfied, and know that it will bring me many more great smokes in the future.

I also agree with Emerald. It is better to avoid temptation of reloading and better settle with a nice cup of green tea at noon or strong tequila if you are at home and ready to go to bed.

If its a great bowl I'll fill up another and lighter her up. If it's a lousy bowl....I'll fill another and light her up.

In the old days when I could always smoke in the house, I'd frequently smoke one bowl right after the other. These days I rarely smoke more than 1-3 bowls a day. I almost never smoke the same tobacco twice in a row even if I've had a great smoke. Often it will be a different variety of tobacco, too. Variety is the spice of life in smoking, too.

Smokey