Where do you go to smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
My ideal, and I'm sure many others, way to smoke would be to have a porch and be able to just go outside and smoke whenever I want in a pinch.

Unfortunatley, I live in a nyc apartment, my wife can't stand smoking, and the only way for me to smoke would be to get in my car and find a reasonable smoking area, usually by a fire hydrant or in my usual spot a mile down if I'm really in the mood.

This becomes really annoying and inconvenient. It usually requires 10 - 20 minutes for me just to find a place to smoke. Smoking lounges are becoming greedy and won't allow me to smoke inside unless I buy something.

So where do you go to smoke?

Fortunately in good ol' Texas the situation isn't as dire. I smoke outside my apartment, in my car, or at the local B&M.

I smoke in my yard, on my patio, in my car or the local shop.

If I'm waiting for the kids at a movie or something I'll drop the tail gate of my truck and kick back there and smoke.

Wow. I look at this post kind of like a blues song. I'm usually kind of ticked that I have to go to the garage and turn on the space heater this time of year. In better weather, I usually make my way to the back deck. All this when I would rather find a spot in the house. I empathize with you BB, and now feel like I may not have it so bad.

I read the below posts with envy!

I just hope with the way things are looking, the nyc won't ban smoking altogether!

Either in the bedroom in front of the computer, or in the livingroom on the davenport.

:face:

I never smoke in the house (or in any building, now that I think of it) but have a nice, raised porch with both a covered and open parts, so depending on the weather I can do either. Here's a pix I've posted before under the how to smoke outside in winter thread from last December of my porch and fire.

I also have a "tree house", (actually a small play-cabin I made for my daughter years ago, but I've taken it over), again raised off the ground about 8 feet (like the porch) about 100 yards into the woods behind my house that is a bit more protected in the event of a really windy or cold day. I have a cast aluminum chiminea that I've jerry-rigged some stove piping to, so it throws out a lot of heat on really cold, blustery days. Here's a pix after a good snowfall (for Arkansas, at least!). It also has a porch which is great on cool, starry nights.

Also have a couple of acres of woods that have perhaps a dozen or so fire pits located throughout. Mostly, it's the stumps of trees I've cut for firewood (or to get rid of the damn sweet gums!), so I make a temporary "pit" around them with rocks and after a few months of occasional fires, their is no trace of the stump, and I move on to the next stump.

Works for me,

Natch

By my computer, or on the floor by a painting with a paint-brush in one hand. 8) I will be smoking more on my balcony when the weather gets warmer though. But right now, I am enjoying awfully much smoking in my little one-room-apartment. It makes the place feel more like home than any home I've ever had.

Ideally though, by a camp fire, or a good scenery.

169rtrb.jpg

Nice location! Looks like some ancient basaltic/granitic Fino-Scandian Shield rock to me? Reminds me of the rocks on Isle Royal NP, ancient basaltic flows from the Canadian Shield. Also looks like the type of environment where in early spring, you have clouds of your version of black flies? Bite like hell, fly in your eyes, ears, up your nose, all in all a real good time to stay out of the sub-arctic woods.

Natch

Natch, the picture is from Koli national park. Internet tells: "The Koli hill chain is located on the border between two bedrock areas of different ages. The area east of the Koli hills has the oldest bedrock in Finland - more than 2.6 billion years - that is granite-gneiss for the most part. The area on the western side of the hill chain is younger slate, which at Koli mainly consists of hard quartzite." The picture is from the East side.

Black flies don't sound familiar, but by late summer and autumn we get deer flies. This place was a bit too North for them perhaps or it was too cold already so there wasn't as many as there could be, but still enough! Constantly some of those bastards crawling, especially on the face/neck, and they're fast crawlers and difficult to kill. Luckily they don't bite often, but nevertheless they're quite the annoyance. When I came home after a week in the woods and brushed my hair, 8 live ones came out. :p Yucky, but still so worth it.

Beautiful location Beetle. Sounds like a great place to visit.

For me its either of two places. Point A

Or Point B

Mr Natural and Jazzy (especially you), those look like way great places. But as I'm of the body chemistry that demands warmth at all costs, I'd have to politely decline those locations. As wonderful as they look!

Even in my own home at 70F I currently have on sweatpants and longjohns, two sweatshirts (plus undershirt), and a wool hat. And my hands are still cold!

Guess I really need to move to somewhere in the SW desert where the ambient temp is 80F+ yr round!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

I've ALWAYS smoked in my house and still do! I've paid for it so I can smoke in it :twisted: I smoke just about everywhere in my house except the bathtub :twisted: I feel for you guys that can't. :twisted:

In the garage with a space heater, on the deck with the fire pit going
or at my local B&M which has a nice lounge and the best part is, its only 4 blocks from my home. :cheers:

Brewdude":u96gjkq8 said:
Mr Natural and Jazzy (especially you), those look like way great places. But as I'm of the body chemistry that demands warmth at all costs, I'd have to politely decline those locations. As wonderful as they look!

Even in my own home at 70F I currently have on sweatpants and longjohns, two sweatshirts (plus undershirt), and a wool hat. And my hands are still cold!

Guess I really need to move to somewhere in the SW desert where the ambient temp is 80F+ yr round!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR
Hey, we have guys that dress just like that down here as well; they usually come up to your car at red lights and ask for spare change! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natch

So my son determines where I smoke, after bed where.ever I want . When he is awake outside only . How do you guys feel about your kids seeing you smoke.