Which will it be?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simple Man

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, a lot of you have hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars of tobaccos in your cellars. Say you can only have one blend from here on out, okay, make it two. Which do you reach for the most? What will your two blends be? This hobby can send you on a mad hunt for that perfect elusive blend. I was just wondering if you could narrow it down to just two blends if you had to.

To be fair, I don't have an answer myself right now, I'll have to think about it a day or two at least.

As of right now Balkan Supreme and University Flake... but that is just a snap shot of right now.

I can't do that. Unless we redefine the terms that the two blends equal "obtainium" & "unobtainium". Obtainium being anything commonly available in retail sales. Unobtainium being that which exists only in my cellar, and is for all practical purposes not for sale retail because a component tobacco no longer exists. Or the blender is out of business. Or the blend in question is of a much older vintage.

What I reach for most often are my own creations, and they represent more time and effort than actual monies from the banks...

Of purchased blends, I am pretty regularly carrying PS LBF or SG St. James flake in the pouch.

Ozark Wizard":noxfei0p said:
What I reach for most often are my own creations, and they represent more time and effort than actual monies from the banks...

Of purchased blends, I am pretty regularly carrying PS LBF or SG St. James flake in the pouch.
Yes, I remember a couple of your blends being rather nice!

Carlos":h1jouovr said:
I can't do that.  Unless we redefine the terms that the two blends equal "obtainium" & "unobtainium".  Obtainium being anything commonly available in retail sales.  Unobtainium being that which exists only in my cellar, and is for all practical purposes not for sale retail because a component tobacco no longer exists.  Or the blender is out of business.  Or the blend in question is of a much older vintage.  
I wasn't really considering that which no longer exists, I suppose if I had them cellared I would, but since I don't have them and can probably no longer obtain them I would just omit them and go with what I either have cellared or can at least obtain somewhat regularly.

To me it would come down to something I can smoke all day and not tire of. I really don't know how my grandfather did that. I remember he had one brand of tobacco that I always saw him smoking and my parents used to buy him a can of that every Christmas, I think it was Velvet, though I can't really recall.

Anyway, what led to this was a harder than usual time of deciding on what to smoke last night. :lol:

I settled on Carter Hall. That is not my answer though. :lol:

Today it would be SG FVF and Low Country Va/Bur. It could change tomorrow.

Man that is a tough one . . . I find my tastes changes year from year and season to season and usually full circle. Let smoke a dozen bowls today and get back to you on that . . .

I would have said freshly blended, straight from the presses at McClelland (ie no aging) #2015. Outside of Dreamland, it would be Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. I love the flavor both new and as it goes through aging stages. I like that it is a tobacco for dummies insofar as it isn't finicky about hydration levels or how you pack it. It's a solid, if not great, value in tobacco for your buck, and I do feel price point is a significant variable.* It gets along well with every pipe I own. It ticks every box.

I actually thought about something similar this week. I'm not an nicotine addict, and while I do love pipes and smoking a pipe, if I didn't have a tobacco I actually enjoyed flavor wise and value wise, I'd stop smoking. I can count on Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (for now).

*I received an email update from a retailer today, and their little pice of journalism was about how pipe sizes have changed from "the bigger the better" to the standard 6x2. It gave three estimations why this change, and while they were all good reasons, they didn't touch upon the expense of tobacco today. I was surprised. I know this is for another thread, and maybe even I'm in the minority here, but I feel price point is not something to forget or overlook. If you're smoking a couple bowls a week, it matters less. If you're smoking 4+ bowls a day, you can spend some decent money on pipe smoking. But hey, I'm a frugal person.

Impossible to answer, yet my two most regulars are 2015 and 5100. Both of which I have laid in sufficient quantities to see me out!

So there!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

Blackwoods Flake. For me, it hits on every level. Sweet and spicy with more complex flavors down the bowl aways.

#1: Old Gowrie. Don't wish to EVER be without it. I come back to this blend time and again on a daily basis. For me this tobacco is great any time of day, and in all seasons. Additionally, I am completely satisfied regardless of pipe shape, size, etc. Its no wonder I keep copious amounts cellared at any given time.

#2: Stonehaven

Ok, I thought about this a lot more and finally decided on my three can't live with outs (I know I said two... I changed it to three :lol: )

In no particular order

Haunted Bookshop

Storm Front

and

Lane Limited Ready Rubbed

IF I had to pick just two of these it would be the first two.