white whales.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAJ_ile

Reaction score
Having come to pipe smoking late in the game, and looking around buying and smoking a few pipes, I have come to realize that I like certain things in a pipe, and have searched out a pipe what I would like to have. It seems that having come late, the Erik Nording Hunter '99 Quail, and the Nording Woodcock will never find their ways into my collection. So, what boat did everyone else miss, maybe some connections can be made and some of these monsters might surface for us through this discussion.

Nick

NAJ_ile":kqhw8obr said:
Having come to pipe smoking late in the game, and looking around buying and smoking a few pipes, I have come to realize that I like certain things in a pipe, and have searched out a pipe what I would like to have.  It seems that having come late, the Erik Nording Hunter '99 Quail, and the Nording Woodcock will never find their ways into my collection.  So, what boat did everyone else miss, maybe some connections can be made and some of these monsters might surface for us through this discussion.

Nick
Nick

Welcome to BoB. First post and all.....

Your questions will undoubtedly be answered in due course by others more knowledgeable than myself.

And do get thee to the Welcome Wagon forum and properly introduce yourself.

Cheers,

RR

NAJ_ile":r2qgkwz5 said:
 It seems that having come late, the Erik Nording Hunter '99 Quail, and the Nording Woodcock will never find their ways into my collection.
I don't think it will be that hard to round those up. They made a lot of them. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find them new in the box. I'd set up a ebay search. I'll keep an eye out for them in Chicago. :shock:

That would be awesome! I have been searching ebay/amazon on and off for about a year now, seems that people who have them hold them.

My white whales would be along the lines of JT Cooke, Larry Roush or Trever Talbert.
Somewhat available, but way out of my price range.

daveinlax":rfp25oqd said:
NAJ_ile":rfp25oqd said:
 It seems that having come late, the Erik Nording Hunter '99 Quail, and the Nording Woodcock will never find their ways into my collection.
I don't think it will be that hard to round those up. They made a lot of them. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find them new in the box. I'd set up a ebay search. I'll keep an eye out for them in Chicago.  :shock:
+1 on the Ebay search. Don't get too specific, or you'll miss pipes that are vaguely listed. The Ebay search feature has separated a good deal of cash from my wallet and allowed me to find nearly all of my White Whale pipes. I call mine a "Holy Grail" list and keep them on a spreadsheet. Many of us have some OCD tendencies....

nice looking whales all around. I do indeed fancy myself a bird hunter, though largely an unsuccessful one as of late. Also a pursuer of the piscatorial lot, and all of that, nothing like putting a fish on the bank with a pipe between the teeth!

ThatKidWithTheFace":bj0u3hpv said:
My white whale:

A Nosewarmer Calabash :D
Hmmm, doesn't sound like much of a clencher unless you haven't a need for eyebrows.

ThatKidWithTheFace":t18p6ffi said:
My white whale:

I see these around sometimes, so you might not be looking hard enough ;). I actually can link you to one, but that's no fun.

There are a number for me, mostly because I can barely afford tobacco, let alone a pipe!

There have been some Becker's I've wanted badly, a morta Rhodesian by Nate King, a John Crosby nosewarmer, an olivewood Cheeky Girl by Wallenstein, and the list goes on.

Cartaphilus":p0geyhre said:
ThatKidWithTheFace":p0geyhre said:
My white whale:

Hmmm, doesn't sound like much of a clencher unless you haven't a need for eyebrows.
Now that you mention it Ron, my eyebrows have become quite unruly the last few years. I have continued to seek out shorter and shorter nosewarmers, hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, they are resilient little critters, who just curl away from the direction of the heat, and continue to grow at night while I sleep.

Rest assured, even my shortest nosewarmers allow my eyebrows to remain unscathed.

Dutch":jv4tau6h said:
Cartaphilus":jv4tau6h said:
ThatKidWithTheFace":jv4tau6h said:
My white whale:

Now that you mention it Ron, my eyebrows have become quite unruly the last few years. I have continued to seek out shorter and shorter nosewarmers, hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, they are resilient little critters, who just curl away from the direction of the heat, and continue to grow at night while I sleep.

Rest assured, even my shortest nosewarmers allow my eyebrows to remain unscathed.
Then that really is you in the Avatar!

Right now it's an Ascorti Business KS Cavalier to replace the one lost in the move.

Cartaphilus":vwe6qpea said:
Dutch":vwe6qpea said:
Cartaphilus":vwe6qpea said:
ThatKidWithTheFace":vwe6qpea said:
My white whale:

Then that really is you in the Avatar!
Of course! It just wouldn't be ethical for anyone to pretend to be someone they are not on the internet! :lol:

Right now it would be a reasonably priced sandblasted cavalier that doesn't look like a modern art masterpiece lol. Hard to find indeed

I guess my white whale would be a Dunhill Root Briar from 1955, my birth year. Preferably a group 4/5 Billiard w/ saddle bit or a Bulldog. A guy can dream can't he? :shock:

tarheel7734":h2a41dre said:
Right now my white wale would be a smooth finish Dunhill 5108.
Are they rare?

I happen to have found one at a flea market. I know it's a nice pipe, I don't actually know what it's worth.
I'm pretty sure it's made in 1994.

BrxmfoQ.jpg" style="width: 550px;height: 440px