who are we really

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
My question for you ALL is who are we really? I mean as a group, are we just members of a forum or do we have some attachment to each other, other then we all smoke pipes or shove powder up our noses (snuff).
When one of us falls do we even look, do we care, or just give our condolences on forum to make us look like we give a hoot in hell. I'm sure there are many of us here that are just here for conversation and that's alright, BOB doesn't ask that you be a blood brother or give your first born male child as a offering. It's a forum where alike people, well people lik'en tobacco shoved into pipes and such gather to share, shamelessly show off, and converse about what they enjoy. But, do any of us really care beyond the point of pipes about the people on the other side of there monitors? This is going to shock a lot of ya but, every once in awhile I meet someone here that I feel is truly a good person and that I care about what direction his or her life goes in. Yes, this is leading up to something but, I'm not saying what just yet. I just want your TRUE feelings on the subject. Yeah Feelings, something that just doesn't go well with a lot of us men folk, that and sharing them, ooh yuk, girl stuff. But, no seriously, lets here it, Truthfully. ;)

I will weigh in on this topic. I feel a connection to quite a few on this board, and am interested in their lives and am happy when things go well for them. I tend to post less these days, but think of folks still quite a bit. As time passes, and I grow older, time just seems to fly by at a rapid rate!

I'm sure there are all kinds. In any social environment (yes Internet forums included) there will always be some form of posturing, or showing off. But I think there are a lot of really good folks on here and that has been demonstrated time and time again. It is my belief that, while not all, the majority of active members really do give a hoot about the others on this forum.

Ron, I've been meaning to call you back, but I got into a bottle of Four Roses single barrel. OK, maybe 2 bottles.

Anyhow, I will ring your phone soon, hopefully from a location where I've got a solid signal. ;)

Well, I watched this group for about a year before I joined. Learning a lot. I did join, because I saw the cliques, bonds, and general "Brotherhood" feel in the posts. Sure, we may crow over a new shiny, but it shows too good support for crafts, opinions, and the destruction of our collective lungs with gusto>>>

I think everyone is a good human, it's just easier to see it in some than others...

Kinda like family.......

Kinda like a brotherhood......

Whoa Ron, way to make it heavy! I'm fairly socially introverted in life and yet I'm disappointed that my relationships are somewhat underwhelming. I rather enjoy this forum and it's members. I do feel like I have a greater depth with some people I've interacted with more directly than others with which I haven't. But that's fairly reasonable, i think. Curious what you're getting at!

I like to think I have made some friendships with some of the good people on this board. I may not always express it but I do take an interest in what goes on in people's lives here. A lot of good people here....happy to be a part of it :)

I've been here a little over a month, so I'm still a noob. I don't know anyone well enough to comment. I do however have hopes that I will over time make some friendships. But it is a forum, so at best it can only offer that opportunity. It's only as good as the uses we put it to.

Life is a wretched mess that we all must struggle and claw through, and in the end all we get for our wailing and gnashing of teeth is death. We all endure the same sorrow. Some more, some less so, but we all share a common misery - The imperfection of Humanity in what otherwise could have been a perfect existence. To find friends in the midst of this upheaval is one of the few small blessings we are afforded. That these friendships come from a faceless wireless connection in a silly little hobby group about smoldering weeds in a piece of hollowed out wood makes it infinitely more funny, and bearable. :)

I came here initially for the information but stayed for the camaraderie. Found many friendly folks and feel like being on BoB is more like sitting in a comfortable smoking lounge with a great group of people. Also very much appreciate the politeness and goodwill exhibited daily. When one of us has life issues there's much outreach and support. And there's a good few here that seem like old real life friends.

Cheers,

RR

Hiram-2011":cgipquou said:
I like to think I have made some friendships with some of the good people on this board.  I may not always express it but I do take an interest in what goes on in people's lives here.  A lot of good people here....happy to be a part of it :)
I couldn't have said it better. But yes, I do think that people (especially on this forum) do generally care what happens to its members more so than just pipes. I have been fortunate enough to experience amazing generosity from its members. I would like to think that I have spread some happiness around myself. It wasn't just about receiving or giving pipe related items, I truly feel that there was more behind the acts than sending a tin of tobacco. Just my 2 cents.

Relationships and communication are necessarily complex. It is a public forum, and so there is a certain about of hiding behind an avatar for some folks, and the personal details are a little sketchy sometimes. This adds a layer or removes one maybe.

I have to say I have a tremendous amount of respect for and some personal interest in many members of the forum. It has been a great group, and no one has talked smack about my bombs which are perhaps a little more meager than some of my brothers.

I have enjoyed it here.

Puff Daddy":0z619qm0 said:
Life is a wretched mess that we all must struggle and claw through, and in the end all we get for our wailing and gnashing of teeth is death. We all endure the same sorrow. Some more, some less so, but we all share a common misery - The imperfection of Humanity in what otherwise could have been a perfect existence. To find friends in the midst of this upheaval is one of the few small blessings we are afforded. That these friendships come from a faceless wireless connection in a silly little hobby group about smoldering weeds in a piece of hollowed out wood makes it infinitely more funny, and bearable. :)
Puff, that entire paragraph would make for one fantastic tattoo! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ocelot55":cdb1c1wt said:
I'm sure there are all kinds. In any social environment (yes Internet forums included) there will always be some form of posturing, or showing off. But I think there are a lot of really good folks on here and that has been demonstrated time and time again. It is my belief that, while not all, the majority of active members really do give a hoot about the others on this forum.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think.

I posted and participated frequently lot for the first few years I was here, and nowadays spend most of my time poking around the Tobacco Jar and Snuff Box, posting far less often than I used to, so I don't feel quite as connected to some of the members now as I did before. That in mind, I think that the remember members who are no longer active or those that go through long spells of inactivity sheds some light on my experience here.

Some I remember vaguely (or barely at all), some I remember fondly, and some I very much miss interacting with. That arrangement, I think, isn't much different than when I think of the people I knew from childhood, from high school, from college, from former jobs, or from any other social grouping. So yeah...I think it is (or at least can be) a "real" thing, here.

I really enjoy this forum and most everyone I've "met" here. I've been hanging in chat rooms, newsgroups and forums since the early '90s and get that being this is a virtual environment sometimes people aren't who I think they might be. That said I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and everyone here has been nothing but kind to me.

One thing about BoB that impressed me from the start is the generosity and outward showing of support and caring when someone has hit a rough patch that flows from so many here. That is what I believe makes this forum so special and why I come back most every day.

While I don't really "know" anyone here there are many I'd very much enjoy meeting real time one day.

Ocelot55":m6sokpnz said:
Spot on!

As many others here, I started out browsing for a long time (almost 2 years) before registering and joining in the conversation. I think the pipe community as a whole is a very welcoming and caring group, and always has been. I agree that most members truly do care about how others are doing in their lives outside their "pipe persona". Just as in offline life...you have your acquaintances, your close acquaintances, your friends, your close friends, etc. The nature of an online forum lends itself to having a lot of acquaintances, but there is the potential for gaining and growing relationships beyond that as well, which many of us do.

There are several members that I have never met in person that I still consider a friend on here. I have definitely made some good friends in the community both on and offline. It's the offline ones you really have to watch out for. Especially those evil villains from the south! Now where is that mustache smiley? And the one with a fedora? :lol:

I'm just here, and on the two other boards I'm a member of, for some knowledge gained, news of happenings and ogle at the pipe and tobacco pictures posted. While I wouldn't be aloof towards someone seeking out friendship, I'm pretty content and happy were I'm at in my life. But don't get me wrong, if there's a brother or sister nearby that needs help I'll be there.

I joined some time ago and due to life circumstances never got involved. I found it again and poked around for awhile before trying to join again. I was surprised when Carlos told me I was a deleted member lol.

This is the only forum I take part in. It is also the first one I have ever gotten involved in seriously. And for me that's pretty good. I always thought the whole internet friend thing was a bit odd. At least the dating parts. I still think I'm fairly new here. So I have tried to sort of absorb the room, much like I would do in the real world when entering a new environment.

I have noticed there are more dominate members posting wise. You could call them regulars. I've picked up on some of their personalities as well. I think there is a good feeling of community here amongst them. Every time I see a question posted by a newer member, nobody busts his/her balls about it. When I see deeper issues people seem concerned. I have also seen some arguments, but they at least just fade out. And some seriously interesting discussions have taken place regarding our shared hobby.

Knowing what little I do of cart, there is probably something cooking here. Can't wait to see what haha.

Interesting question Ron.
Whilst it hasn't been as much as others, I feel I have invested into this forum and believe I have made some good friends along the way (you know who you are). Sometimes this is difficult to maintain due to life commitments so it may ebb and flow but I feel committed to the cause. I genuinely have concern for those I have built relationships with on this board, at least as much as a forum permits. I would certainly like to share some time and several bowls with several folk on here in real life and sincerely hope the opportunity arises. That I feel this way is down to the uniqueness of the forum, and that of course is down to its many members.

My time here may be sporadic sometimes, but I definitely feel connected to a great deal of you; otherwise, I would never come back. I have nothing to prove to anyone, so pretending or acting a fool is not in my nature. I enjoy the camaraderie. Though I'm not as active as I'd like, I do generally keep up with what is going on in people's lives here as much as I can.