who are we really

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.

~ Longfellow, Tales of a Wayside Inn

...and every so often, you realize that no one is at the helm.

Richard Burley":6sfpxsrm said:
Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.

~ Longfellow, Tales of a Wayside Inn

...and every so often, you realize that no one is at the helm.
But if the ship is in distress I hope we answer the call to help.

There is something special here, and I can never put my finger on what exactly that something is. Maybe it comes down to the fact that we are all pipe smokers. All I can say with certainty is that I feel much more at home here than on any cigar or fishing forum I've been on. I don't make friends easily. I don't exactly know why, but being a quiet person that hates crowds probably has something to do with it. Having said that I do think I've made a few true friends here, and a large number of good aquaintences. Is that the same thing as making a friend in the "real" world? Probably not. But that doesn't stop us from supporting each other in troubled times, sharing happy life events, and generously, and often unexpectedly, giving each other gifts. The word friend gets used far too carelessly in the cyberworld these days. My wife tells me that she has over 300 friends on myface. I don't think those are friends. But I do count some of you as true friends.
Mike.

Well Cart,

I stumbled upon BoB from googling a pipe related topic I can't remember now. I spent a month or two looking through the various fora, loving the camaraderie shown here normally, along with good and interesting advice. A lot from you yourself Cart.

When I heard of the bombing crew I had to join up and help spread the fun as well as partaking in the general discussion going on here. I also consider you guys a facsimile of a local pipe club for me as I often find myself reading BoB when gently puffing on my back verandah, imagining the discussions going on.

Cheers

Tim

Timbo":izyf5ueb said:
Well Cart,

I stumbled upon BoB from googling a pipe related topic I can't remember now. I spent a month or two looking through the various fora, loving the camaraderie shown here normally, along with good and interesting advice. A lot from you yourself Cart.

When I heard of the bombing crew I had to join up and help spread the fun as well as partaking in the general discussion going on here. I also consider you guys a facsimile of a local pipe club for me as I often find myself reading BoB when gently puffing on my back verandah, imagining the discussions going on.

Cheers

Tim
Tim, Your first mistake was ever listening to me. I don't know sh*t from Shineola and just make it up as I go.
The only reason they let me stay here is there baffled by my BS and can't wait to see what comes out my mouth next. ;)

Twaddle Ron, your tip on Paragon wax was at least one of your tips I've followed successfully. My pipes have never looked better, especially my blasts now I've a microfibre cloth impregnated with it. Give them a quick rub and the contrast comes up lovely.

Thanks mate.

Tim

Timbo":ahr647uf said:
Twaddle Ron, your tip on Paragon wax was at least one of your tips I've followed successfully. My pipes have never looked better, especially my blasts now I've a microfibre cloth impregnated with it. Give them a quick rub and the contrast comes up lovely.

Thanks mate.

Tim
Well, I do throw in a little truth ever so often to keep everybody guessing.

With my schedule, I'm generally pretty busy, but when I can check in there are people whom I really care about, and think about their well-being extensively. I personally think it's an amazing feeling to see everyone's life progress through this forum, and it's a place that I certainly feel cares for me.

Cartaphilus":adde9n28 said:
Your advice on handmade pipe artisans led to me owning my best smoker. Also, some info I got from you helped me to work a serious souring issue with a new pipe I bought.

I think online communities like this are sort of a microcosm of life in a physical city.  There is a wide variety of experiences, occupation, economic level, religion, race, etc, but we are all somewhat bonded by at least one common interest.   I believe that for most people, their online persona generally represents how they are in "real" life.  

My interest in pipes has varied since I started smoking them 15 years ago and I've had mostly positive experiences with fellow pipers in this and other sites during that time.   I think BoB is a well run forum with lots of good people as mods and members.   I've tried to be a good citizen and treat others as I would want to be treated.   I don't know anyone here really well, but believe that most of us could get along with one another if we lived in the same neighborhood.   Some deep friendships might even develop (if they haven't already).

While the online world has an obvious level of detachment, I believe that we all have at least a base level of empathy for one another and a general sense of community here.    I know I do.

Jevverrett":obduxbyk said:
Cartaphilus":obduxbyk said:
Your advice on handmade pipe artisans led to me owning my best smoker. Also, some info I got from you helped me to work a serious souring issue with a new pipe I bought.
Hey! Don't blame that on me I didn't twist your arm!

When I was at the college there was a group that met at a restaurant that was a hole in the wall right on the water. We'd go down to study, smoke, jabber, and everyone would take turns cooking orders for each other or the random customer. I was always on call to make BLTs. No idea why. People would come and go as regulars but there was always a core group of 25-30. That community - which it was - was based on a spirit of comraderie, fellowship, and safety. And that's certainly the feeling I get here. People who create a community where we share at what level we are comfortable, feel secure we can ask silly or stupid questions (that would me over here), and know we are part of a real fellowship. I think that's a real rare commodity in today's world. When I was diagnosed and got bad news, I never hesitated to share with all of you. Not sure why....but it was that real sense of fellowship. Knowing I could share my thoughts, fears, and - yes Ron - feelings. I'm not sure what that makes us or defines who we are, but I know it's something I'm damn proud and happy to be part of and know it was a huge part in helping beat my cancer. So while I may never come close to the longest smoking title or other such nonsense, I know I've got some real friends here on BoB and I couldn't be more proud of that claim.

Tom, thanks for that post. You nailed it is far as I'm concerned.

Brewdude":gylev4ox said:
I came here initially for the information but stayed for the camaraderie. RR
Same here. But more than that, there is definitely a like-mindedness here that I have not found browsing other forums. Members' personalities certainly come through in their posts (Ron, you and Richard Burley come to mind here).

Gentlemen (and ladies) to a man (woman), in the truest sense of the word.

That said, there will be hell to pay if any of you find yourselves in Cape Town and don't drop me a PM or a mail so we can at least try to hook up for a bowl face to face.

My 2c

Cartaphilus":ameuxsf6 said:
Jevverrett":ameuxsf6 said:
Cartaphilus":ameuxsf6 said:
No, you didn't. But you gave me solid advice and an informed opinion, so far as I know. Which on pipe care and cleaning you have more than enough. I don't know about warm fuzzy feelings, but I do respect the knowledge and opinions of some of the men here. And you are included in that list.

Jevverrett":753blr3o said:
Cartaphilus":753blr3o said:
Jevverrett":753blr3o said:
Cartaphilus":753blr3o said:
No, you didn't. But you gave me solid advice and an informed opinion, so far as I know. Which on pipe care and cleaning you have more than enough. I don't know about warm fuzzy feelings, but I do respect the knowledge and opinions of some of the men here. And you are included in that list.
That was a joke sir and, your welcome. Always eager to help when I can.
Besides I like hearing myself talk cause it puts me right out.

" ... I am what I am, said Popeye the Sailor Man" , just an old codger that consumes that evil weed in a wooden object I stick in my mouth. Nothing fancy or romantic, just an old smoker !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":0hmp31gu said:
" ... I am what I am, said Popeye the Sailor Man" , just an old codger that consumes that evil weed in a wooden object I stick in my mouth. Nothing fancy or romantic, just an old smoker !! :twisted: :twisted:
Michael, you mentioned Popeye. Is this your way of coming out of the closet and admitting that you smoke cobs as well? :lol:

Dutch":j1qvxe20 said:
monbla256":j1qvxe20 said:
Michael, you mentioned Popeye. Is this your way of coming out of the closet and admitting that you smoke cobs as well? :lol:
Damn!! I got caught !! But I ONLY smoke Charatan cobs !! :cheers: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm more of a listener/reader than a contributor but I do enjoy this forum and the insights of the members who regularly post.  I also find it a bit entertaining seeing new members pop up, make dozens or hundreds of posts in a month or two, and then disappear never to return.  I try to contribute if I have something worthwhile to contribute, but virtually anything I have questions about or answers to has already been said/posted/written....so I listen and read.