Who is going to upgrade to Windows 10?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your smart you'll tell ole Bill to shove it up his...................

I'm at a hotel for six days, for work. My personal laptop has been acting up (screen issues) and tonight, the first night, it doesn't open. I don't like using my work laptop for personal use and had loaded some movies/tv shows to watch on the personal laptop, so I'm screwed for a week (and nope, that ain't happening either!@#@#).

The personal laptop was still running Windows XP Pro, which I loved. I dread trying to figure out Windows 8, now you tell me Windows 10 is coming!

If anyone had a recommendation for a basic laptop, that doesn't break the bank, I'd love some recommendations. My use is: web use only, a little television viewing, no gaming. I need MS Office for Outlook (guessing my old version of Office won't work)

I can get my email on webmail, but i get hundreds per day and not having my Outlook rules & folders is going to be PITA.

Hopefully, I'll be able to read replies/suggestions!

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and will likely stay with it until MS doesn't provide updates any longer.

For a laptop, an admin on another site recommended THIS.

Or if that's a bit more than you need there are always good deals to be had on the Dell Outlet site.  I've had Dell Latitude laptops at work for the past four years and have not had any hardware issues.

I figure if they are going to "upgrade' me from 7 to 10 for free, 10 must be a piece of crap. when do they give away anything for 'free' ?

tslots":ugkpul62 said:

Or if that's a bit more than you need there are always good deals to be had on the Dell Outlet site.  I've had Dell Latitude laptops at work for the past four years and have not had any hardware issues.
That HP looks like a great choice and quite similar to the HP I currently use. I didnt think that I could get an old style laptop any longer. I really don't want or need one of those ultra-slim clamshell style laptops that seem to be the rage. Thanks!

I've used Ubuntu/Firefox (and recently Chrome) for some time now. No issues with anything (other than my own dumb problems). 

Personally I'd never use a Microsquirt product. But that's just me.

Don't really use a computer for much besides e-mail, a few forums, and the occasional e-tailer. So I'm pretty basic.

Cheers,

RR

"new lamps for old".
Now why would anyone trade a perfectly new lamp for some old piece of garbage? Perhaps there is an ulterior motive??
I'll d/l Win10 and put it on a dvd as an ISO. I'm fairly happy with Win7 Pro. Though today I d/l'ed 16 updates and my machine stopped booting at the 'welcome to windows" screen. Restored, did it again..restored from an older restore point..still did it. How did windows manage to bork this up? Finally restored from an Acronis back up. If I was still interested in computers I would put a linux distro back on and run Wine if needed...but I'm getting old and just don't feel like having to think any more (g)..

bosun1":56h2d3p4 said:
but I'm getting old and just don't feel like having to think any more (g)..

My sentiments exactly. :evil: :evil: If I ever buy another computer it will be custom built and have a Linux based operating system. I am so tired of Microsoft's BS that nearly every time I hear the word Microsoft it makes me want to go outside and p**s on a bush. :evil: :evil: :evil:

AJ

We have a laptop that came with Windows 8, and 8 is a huge pile of dung. I hate having to choose between the "Start" menu and the desktop on 8.

Windows 10 supposedly won't force us to choose between the start menu and the desktop, and we are eligible for a free upgrade, anyway, so we'll definitely give 10 a whirl on the laptop.

On our other computers, though, we will stick with dual-boots of Windows XP for certain applications and Ubuntu / Linux Mint for everything else.

R. M. Perkins":8xnnfv5w said:
We have a laptop that came with Windows 8, and 8 is a huge pile of dung. I hate having to choose between the "Start" menu and the desktop on 8.

Windows 10 supposedly won't force us to choose between the start menu and the desktop, and we are eligible for a free upgrade, anyway, so we'll definitely give 10 a whirl on the laptop.

On our other computers, though, we will stick with dual-boots of Windows XP for certain applications and Ubuntu / Linux Mint for everything else.
Have fun with 10's crashes, freeze ups, and the other usual crap that Bill Gates is so well know for.
In Windows 8 he shows his true colors, an egomaniac that what's complete control.
As far as I'm concern the SOB can take a fast freight straight to hell. ;)

I've been beta-testing the Windows 10 technical preview since March or so; I do believe that it is better. It still has a lot of the same feel as Windows 8, but you most definitely have a real start button and start menu. The tiles are within the start menu, so you don't have them automatically on boot.

As far as giving it away free, they're adopting a model more similar to Linux and Apple/MacOS distributions; by selling the product, you get groups that are heavily fractured among operating systems, making support extremely tricky. By giving away software, the company is providing an incentive to get everyone to upgrade, making support much easier, as suddenly 90% of your users are working with the same platform; it's a win-win for them.

Also, with Steve Ballmer being replaced by Satya Nadella as CEO(Not Billy boy), Satya is an extremely gifted engineer who understands HOW software development should be handled. With the rollout of Windows 10 being in phases, they're treating this just like any other software development process, eliminating the whole "This is Microsoft, you'll take what we give you no matter what" mentality, and replacing it with the "Here you go group x, run on this for a while, let me know what problems you have, we'll address them and roll fixes out to you as we roll this out to other groups".

I'm not saying that Microsoft is cured, or that they're a perfect beast, because they're far from it, but they are stepping in the right direction now.

Windows 10 is pretty nice. I've had less problems in the beta than I've ever had with a fully finished copy of Windows, and I'm pretty technical, so I beat the hell outta the software. I also have a MacBook, 2 Raspberry Pi's running their own Linux distributions, and a Dell PowerEdge server running Ubuntu; I know all of the systems pretty well, so my soapbox bit has nothing to do with being a fanboy; I'm just willing to say that Windows 10 is a lot better than some may think it'll be.

In the IT world, we have a little joke that only every other Windows distribution is good; XP was great, Vista sucked. Windows 7 was great, Windows 8/8.1 is miserable. Give Windows 10 a chance, it's the next in line to be good. :)

I'm an Apple user at home, Windows at work. The IT people decide if/when the transition occurs, and that is decided mostly with security concerns in mind. Usually, they upgrade about one year after release.

I'm just starting to get used to Windows 8.

And I hate the Apps thing up to fricking Ying Yang that requires fricking updates on my computer every 3 days or so. And that take up all that room on the memory's capacity.

I'm adaptable, but I don't like the new Windows approach. So, no I will not upgrade, as long as I can hold my siege against Windows 10...

Not me!
Been a Linux user for about 10 years. It just works.
Tried a mac once in the early 90s and hated it. Work requires some windows (7 I think) but that's just a filesystem and a way to run a few necessary analysis and word processing programs to me. My wife has windows 8 on her laptop and I can't use it to save my life.
If it ain't broken...
Mike.

Thanks tslots, you pointed me in the right direction.
I went with this refurbished HP Pavilion from New Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834260380

Win 8.1, I'll have to add the "Classic Shell" modification My wife has that on her HP and it works Ok.
I'll sure miss my WinXP-Pro....

tslots":8crw73uk said:
I have Windows 7 Ultimate and will likely stay with it until MS doesn't provide updates any longer.

I used to do a lot of computer repair/debugging. I agree with WarlockBob regarding the ups and downs of Windows releases. Every other release is either great or buggy.. I still have an HP for my large format printing and photo editing that runs WinXP. It does not get online any more, so I feel it is safe enough. Any of my Vista machines got either downgraded to XP or upgraded to 7. There is one 8.1 Toshiba laptop that I rarely use. Something about jumping from the touch screen, then keyboard that is annoying. Had a Dell duo floating around somewhere with 7 touch screen, but the icons were too small and it was clumsy, slow, etc...

As always, when I get a new device, I buy a second drive, either a 7200rpm HDD or a SSD, set up the machine out of the box, and clone the drive. The original drive goes in a box, and I run on the clones. Some, like this laptop I primarily use, has four clones, one for each year, so when the one I'm running craps out or I infect it by bad browsing choices, I don't have too far to catch up on as far as updates.

Such will be the case with the 'free' Win10. I am waiting for another new drive to arrive in the mail, I'll clone this drive, and then try the new OS. I have never met a PC OS that fresh out of the gate that wasn't buggy, and free (in my mind at least) implies the public will act as 'free' testers. I went through it with Vista, 7, and 8.1. I don't see why 10 should be any different................

Cartaphilus":q76r84v3 said:
In Windows 8 he shows his true colors, an egomaniac that what's complete control.
Cart, could you expand on this? In what way do Gates' character flaws show in the Windows 8 operating system? :scratch: